PDA

View Full Version : Through the Roof!

TN Traveler
03-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Spring Maintenance finds me needing to update sealant on the roof of my 2010 Cougar.

I have the original putty / silicone sealant around vents, etc., and some of this is as much as 3" wide. I have Dicor RV specific lap sealant both self-leveling and non-leveling that I intended on using. I did ponder how to use a 1/4 bead or so to cover an area 3" wide...

And then I had a thought. I had very good results stopping a very difficult leak in my metal shop roof / wood stove flue area with a product called "Through the Roof!" It goes on with a brush and dries clear, the product indicates:
* a permanent seal
* can be applied down to 0 degrees
* sticks to most surfaces - even wet
* expands and contracts with temperature changes
* stays elastic, won't dry hard or crack

Anyone ever use this on their RV roof? Anyone know a reason I shouldn't use this?

Tbos
03-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Never heard of it. I use Dicor.

FlyingAroundRV
03-12-2019, 05:08 PM
A possible reason not to use: Check whether this stuff has any solvents or chemicals that may damage the material on your roof. Your roof will either be TPO or EPDM (I think) and they are sensitive to some chemicals and solvents.

JRTJH
03-12-2019, 05:20 PM
I would be very VERY cautious using a "S&B Roof Sealant" on the TPO or EPDM roofing membrane. Almost all "home roof products" contain petroleum distillates (often mineral spirits or naphtha or even acetone) as a dispersant to keep the product "liquid" until it sets up. Petroleum distillates will "literally dissolve the TPO membrane" and you can wind up with a much larger leak than you currently have.

DICOR self leveling sealant is usually applied "LIBERALLY" in a "zig-zag" fashion or in a "circular overlapping bead". Once it's on the surface, the "self leveling feature" will cause the sealant to "run together" forming a continuous bead "from side to side" as the zig-zags or the overlapping circles "ooze together"....

I wouldn't use anything from a big box store on my TPO roof. YMMV.....