PDA

View Full Version : Key Pad Door Lock

Camper Dog
03-12-2019, 05:25 AM
Thinking of replacing the current door lock with a key less touch pad type Pros Cons? Cost?

Northofu1
03-12-2019, 06:02 AM
cost is reasonable, lock is great. It comes with a remote. it beeps when you lock / unlock it, some folks don't like that. I also did baggage doors. everything fit well, received quickly.
https://www.amazon.ca/Keyless-Handle-Integrated-Trailer-Advanced/dp/B07GPS2BL3/ref=asc_df_B07GPS2BL3/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292957668159&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9938639756702822786&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000797&hvtargid=pla-575468333229&psc=1

Camper Dog
03-12-2019, 06:06 AM
Any issue on how it fit or was it just a swap out?

Northofu1
03-12-2019, 06:21 AM
simple swap for me

Howie
03-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Our 5th wheel came with one and we really like it. I always keep a key on the truck keychain but not having to have keys available is nice. Ours started acting up last summer and would not unlock using the keypad. I called the manufacturer and they had me run a test that didn't work. I had to send them pictures of the internal circuit board so they could verify it hadn't been tampered with and they send out a new unit. They are a standard size and fit into the current door cutout and required removing 4 screws. Replacement is simple.

sorgeb2010
03-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Love mine. Only thing is one of my remotes was taken. It was a simple fix to lock it out. I just reprogrammed the one left for now. Ordering another remote this spring.

JRTJH
03-12-2019, 11:22 AM
In about 2013 FasTec lock company had a problem with the internal mechanism on their door locks. The company had a recall and replaced almost all of their "standard sized door lock assemblies. Until then, almost all the RV main door locks were "standardized" and for the most part, interchangeable.... During that recall, there was a critical short supply of parts so FasTec imported a "odd sized Italian lock assembly" to keep RV manufacturers assembly lines working... Many 2013-2014 RV's were manufactured with an odd sized lock on the main door. It is not interchangeable with the "standard size lock assembly" and is about 1" taller, so trying to install anything but that size will result in a 1" gap or "hole" in the main door.

There are quite a few trailers of that era still around and as locks fail, the owners are experiencing problems locating a correctly sized replacement lock.

There are some RV's still being produced with that "oversized lock assembly" but as far as I can tell, Keystone has not used the Italian locksets since early 2015 models. Of course, as soon as anyone suggests that "all Keystone locksets are the standard size and are interchangeable"... will be the time that someone will post, "Mine isn't".....

So, check your lockset to be sure it's the correct size door cutout before ordering replacements. The "standard size" is about 3.4x4.3 inches. The oversize lock is about 3.6x5.5 inches.

cayovelez
03-12-2019, 04:19 PM
I have been looking at upgrading mine as well, but need to point out some concerns:
Most RV locks are made out of some sort of metal when it comes to the handles both inside and out. Most, if not all of the keypad locks I have seen are made out of plastic. This seems that it would be problematic specially the inside lock handle. Perhaps someone here may have an all metal suggestion.

JRTJH
03-12-2019, 05:51 PM
I have been looking at upgrading mine as well, but need to point out some concerns:
Most RV locks are made out of some sort of metal when it comes to the handles both inside and out. Most, if not all of the keypad locks I have seen are made out of plastic. This seems that it would be problematic specially the inside lock handle. Perhaps someone here may have an all metal suggestion.

If you're concerned about the durability of a plastic lockset, I've not heard of any problems with the keypad locks breaking or failing beyond the occasional "bad unit".

As for security, no RV lock is going to provide "increased security" when it's installed in a fiberglass covered Styrofoam door that you can kick a hole in with a swift boot to the door..... From a security concern, either lockset, plastic or metal is not the weakest link in the entry door.

Camper Dog
03-13-2019, 04:03 AM
Great info here so Thanks! I checked mine and it is the standard measurements you listed. Thanks everyone for there input!

chuckster57
03-13-2019, 04:26 AM
Just FYI- we remove more than we install...just sayin

fatcatzzz
03-13-2019, 05:55 AM
Had one of these for three years on our '07 Montana and for two years on our current Montana and they have been flawless.

https://www.rvlock.com/

LarrySharon
03-21-2019, 07:23 AM
I have had mine (RVLOCKS.COM) installed for 3 years now, so far so good. Don't know anyone else that have one installed.

Packed2Go
03-21-2019, 08:24 AM
I've had a RVLOCKS on our 2014 Keystone Cougar High Country TT for a little over 18 months. It was a simple 10 minute switch with the standard factory key version. The convenience of either one of us or our grandkids / visitors not having to carry a key around has been worth the price alone.

The only caveat is, be sure to have a key handy somewhere close by in the event the battery dies. I'm not sure if the RVLOCKS warn you if the battery is dying but I tried to enter our's at 10F (it's been stored outside for several months) this winter and the battery apparently died or didn't have enough juice to open the door. I will be replacing the battery with a lithium version this spring but was thankful I had a key to circumvent the battery issue.

Hope this helps!

JRTJH
03-21-2019, 08:44 AM
I use Energizer batteries in all my trail cameras. At about 10F the cameras stop working from the batteries inability to provide power below that temperature. I've started using lithium batteries in the more important trail cameras and find they work down to about -20F and keep the cameras functional.

I'd guess that Alkaline and NiMH batteries used in RV locks are similar to those used in trail cameras, so once the temperature falls below a "no-go temp" chances are the locks will not function. We don't camp in those kinds of temps, so no problem with "using the locks" but if you need to get into the trailer while in storage, it may present a problem....

itat
03-21-2019, 08:56 AM
RVLock seems to be the most popular brand and usually gets good reviews. I'm not convinced that they offer any better quality than the OEM locks but what they do offer is convenience. IMO, that's the only reason to consider one. If that convenience is worth the cost to you, then go ahead. They look to be a very easy installation. There is a YouTube video showing how to get rid of the beep if it bothers you.

toolmanpm
03-21-2019, 10:13 AM
We’ve had the keyless entry from RVLock for over a year and it works great. The lock did start to give extra beeps and I figured it was a low battery signal. Put in new batteries and no more extra beeps.

Big1
03-21-2019, 11:07 AM
I just replace all of my lock with RVLock.com but I only did my entry door with the keyless remote lock, I did also had all of my locks with one key lock. This work better for me it's just a little more secure.

Theoldroaddog
03-21-2019, 04:19 PM
I have installed RVLock.com on both doors on my Keystone. They work great. No need for keys etc. the remote is a nice feature. You may need to shim the striker plate due to the co traction and expansion of the trailer. I put a couple of small washers behind my striker plates and dead bolt works as it should.

vampress_me
03-21-2019, 04:52 PM
We also have the RVLock with remote on our camper door. We’ve had it for 4 years now, and I just take the batteries out for storage over winter and a new set every spring. The batteries have always lasted the whole summer without a problem. Having the keypad saved me a long drives back home a couple of times. We have a seasonal spot at our favorite campground 3 hours from home. So camper is there all summer unless we are going on a trip with it. Twice last summer I headed down there and forgot the camper keys at home, and of course didn’t think about until we were at the campground. Luckily, used the keypad to get in the camper and used the spare set of keys in there to get in the rest of the camper storage areas.

hihousej
03-28-2019, 10:27 AM
I installed the RVLOCK brand last week. Had to do some minor filing to get a fit. Also, had to call to reprogram the code because mine didn't "beep" as the instructions said it would. However, it works fine and I feel that my camper is much more secure.

notanlines
03-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Might I ask how many remotes most of you carry around with you? I swear y'all talk about remotes from everything from car doors, car starters, RV lights, commodes, fans, TV's, sky lights, fireplaces, hell I can go on forever. I don't want anything in my front pockets except my pocket knife. No, not truck keys and not Harley keys.

cookinwitdiesel
04-01-2019, 04:20 PM
I just installed a full set of RVLocks on my trailer today (3 cargo areas and main door) all keyed alike. I have my keys/remotes split into 2 rings detachable from each other. One is my truck ring, other is the RV ring.

Truck ring has hitch lock key, truck key, truck remote, house key, truck bed cover key.

Trailer ring has trailer key, trailer lock remote, tongue jack remote, tongue lock key.

Just wear cargo shorts or have your wife carry them in her bag of choice.

vampress_me
04-01-2019, 07:29 PM
1 remote. Either the car “keyless” fob if I’m driving the car, or the truck electric bedlocker remote which is attached to the trucks key if driving the truck. Both end up attached to my wallet if I go in a store, etc. Girl jeans don’t have big enough pockets to carry a stick of gum much less anything useful. I ditched a purse as soon as the kids got old enough to carry their own stuff around. Also, I don’t use the remote for the RV Lock on the camper (I don’t even remember where it is), I like it for the keypad so I don’t have to remember/ use a key. I also changed out all the other locks on the camper so they all use the same key instead of 2 different ones.

cookinwitdiesel
04-01-2019, 07:50 PM
My wife still has the diaper backpack or her purse at all times (or the stroller, which can hold a small army worth of equipment if needed lol). Now that it is warming up outside, I am transitioning from jeans back to my usual cargo shorts which afford much more storage flexibility.