PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lift

PiGraf
03-12-2019, 05:20 AM
Hi All... I have a new truck 2019 F350 to pull my 2015 Laredo 297SE fifth wheel. This truck rides higher than my previous truck. I know I can raise the king pin box, but don't think that will level my trailer when towing. Has anyone done a lift on the trailer suspension? Is this a good way to level the rig?

Thanks,
Tim

JRTJH
03-12-2019, 05:51 AM
Does your trailer have the Correct Track alighment system installed? If not, that will gain you about 1.5-2 inches of trailer height.

Camper Dog
03-12-2019, 05:53 AM
I just adjusted my Air Lift 25K. I needed to raise the nose of the 5th Wheel 3 inches so it was much easier to raise the hitch vs the King Pin for me, and while I had it apart I re-greased and did maintenance on it.

PiGraf
03-12-2019, 06:51 AM
Yes it does have the correct track system.

5J's
03-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Be very cautious about lifting the trailer as that will change your center of gravity, thus becoming more top heavy. I've heard several folks talking about lifting their trailers so it's doable but, I'd approach with much caution.

lunge motorsport
03-13-2019, 09:19 PM
Greetings
I had the same issue so I fab’d some 3” blocks to fit between the spring pack and the axle. They are the same concept in reverse as the “lowering block” used by hot rodders when the axles sit above the spring pack and they’re using them to lower the vehicle. I purchased heavier u bolts, 5/8” I think and heavier tie plates. Prior to the mod I researched all I could find. I read about the center of gravity concern and decided that if I’m towing fast enough that the CG of my 5th wheel is actually a factor I’m probably going way too fast. I ran it like that for about 20k miles until I got tired of the junk leaf spring suspension and dumb...I mean drum brakes. Leaf springs do not locate axles well especially in a tandem configuration so I changed all of it. I do have a few photos of the block/spacers installed. If you would like to see them send me a pm with your contact info and I’ll send you some.
Darrel

hdrolling
05-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Yes it does have the correct track system.

If it has the correct track you can install this kit and add 2", it's made by Lippert so it should be safe to use.

https://store.lci1.com/correct-track-suspension-alignment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F98KeFfuxHY

MerlinB
05-05-2019, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=hdrolling;338838]If it has the correct track you can install this kit and add 2", it's made by Lippert so it should be safe to use.

https://store.lci1.com/correct-track-suspension-alignment

That kit is not going to help him. He already has the correct-track system. That kit is for installing correct-track on a trailer that does not have it and it will result in a 2" lift.

If he gets that kit he will just have a bunch of spare parts.

wobly
05-06-2019, 06:51 PM
I'm really interested in this kit to raise our trailer a couple of inches. Does anybody have any real world experience with installing the kit or using it on a trailer?

X-Jaywalker
05-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Ditto. I am in the same boat. 2-3" would be great.

jsb5717
05-19-2019, 08:09 AM
I'm really interested in this kit to raise our trailer a couple of inches. Does anybody have any real world experience with installing the kit or using it on a trailer?

I have installed this kit myself on a previous rig. It's a bit of work and requires attention to well supporting the trailer. I did one side at a time by jacking up the entire side of the trailer with my 12 ton bottle jack then placing jack stands and blocks to make sure it stayed there. The suspension needs to hang loose in order to do the install. The most difficult part for me was all of the drilling. There's a lot and requires more stamina in the arms than I had. As a result it took me a couple days per side. Once holes are drilled the install is pretty straight forward. Just follow the directions.