PDA

View Full Version : Running wires to remotely mount the controller/display for an EMS HW30C

MarkEHansen
03-10-2019, 02:23 PM
We have a 2019 Keystone 26RBSWE travel trailer:

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/cougar-half-ton/floorplans/26rbswe-travel-trailer/

We've purchased a Progressive HW30C EMS to install:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-HW30C-Electrical-Management/dp/B002UC6RSA

We're looking at options for installation of the small controller/display module (which attaches to the main unit via 4-conductor telephone wire).

The main shore power connector comes into the trailer and is stored under the sink in the bathroom, at the left-rear of the trailer. I would like to install the controller/display unit just forward of the rear entry door on the right side of the trailer, in the area marked "Pantry". This is where the iN-Command control panel and other switches are situated.

I'm thinking I can run the wire from the under sink area out through the floor and then once under the trailer, just route it to the rear of the trailer, across the back and then forward along the right side (all under the trailer, but not across the coroplast) and then up through the floor into the area where the other wiring is located.

I then want to fabricate some way to flush mount the unit in that wall, next to the iN-Command controller.

Does this seem doable? Can anyone suggest a simpler solution? Am I wrong in thinking I don't want to run it under the coroplast? I'm just thinking that if anyone ever needs to drop the coroplast out of the way to do maintenance/repairs, I don't want my extra wire in the way.

Thanks for any advice.

66joej
03-10-2019, 03:02 PM

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/cougar-half-ton/floorplans/26rbswe-travel-trailer/

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-HW30C-Electrical-Management/dp/B002UC6RSA

We're looking at options for installation of the small controller/display module (which attaches to the main unit via 4-conductor telephone wire).

The main shore power connector comes into the trailer and is stored under the sink in the bathroom, at the left-rear of the trailer. I would like to install the controller/display unit just forward of the rear entry door on the right side of the trailer, in the area marked "Pantry". This is where the iN-Command control panel and other switches are situated.

I'm thinking I can run the wire from the under sink area out through the floor and then once under the trailer, just route it to the rear of the trailer, across the back and then forward along the right side (all under the trailer, but not across the coroplast) and then up through the floor into the area where the other wiring is located.

I then want to fabricate some way to flush mount the unit in that wall, next to the iN-Command controller.

Does this seem doable? Can anyone suggest a simpler solution? Am I wrong in thinking I don't want to run it under the coroplast? I'm just thinking that if anyone ever needs to drop the coroplast out of the way to do maintenance/repairs, I don't want my extra wire in the way.

Thanks for any advice.

On the PG EMS I installed it had a dedicated lead about 10-12' long for the remote indicator. So may not be long enough for the length you need..
It looks like a regular telephone plugin wire though not sure. Your idea is good. I left mine near the EMS.

MarkEHansen
03-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Thanks, I have the wire in a spool and can make any length I need. Whether the device will work with a longer wire, I'm not sure, but I'll take that risk. I can test it before going too far with the installation, so low risk there :)

I just don't want it in the bathroom, as that seems like a silly place for it.

66joej
03-10-2019, 03:18 PM
Agree. Progressive Industries should be able to tell you if the remote display is sensitive to resistance with the extra length of wire.

IMASAP
03-10-2019, 03:35 PM
I have read elsewhere, there is no problem running it on a longer wire. It is basically a phone wire. I see no reason you can't put the display where you want. If it were me, I would protect the wire with split loom, or something similar.

Steveo57
03-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Thanks for any advice.

It's fairly easy to drop the edge of the coroplast in the rear and on the side and that would allow you to run the wire down through the floor under the sink and across the back and up to the floor area under the pantry. Don't worry about extra wires under the coroplast! When you look in there you'll see that they just run all the wiring under the trailer loosely and there's wires everywhere!

I have a 22RBS and the refrigerator is on the other side of the shower wall so I just ran the wire under the shower and the refrig and mounted it on the wall there.

Snoking
03-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Where is the electrical power center in relationship to the iN-Command panel? Ours is just below our switch panel. So it was a non issue to put our HW50EMS behind the the power center and drop the phone wire down the wall to the EMS. Chris

xrated
03-11-2019, 12:02 AM
It seems to me that I remember reading somewhere that the data cable, although it looks like a regular phone cable, two of the wires are swapped in the connection. You might want to call Progressive Industries and either confirm or deny that. They do sell a 50' cable though in case your 25' cable isn't long enough.