PDA

View Full Version : Towing without a weight distribution hitch

Controller23
03-09-2019, 11:08 AM
I’m buying a Passport 239ML with a 4100ish dry weight. I just bought a Silverado with a 9500lb capacity to replace my Tacoma. Do I need a weight distribution hitch to tow this comfortably, or will the bigger truck be enough to feel ok? I’ve towed heavier trailers with a Silverado before, but nothing as large profile..

Wxman
03-09-2019, 11:14 AM
I am sure others with experience will reply. I have a similar weight, shorter TT and tow with a "9200lb capacity" Silverado. I can't imagine towing without the WDH and sway control. I think the truck hitch is limited to 700lbs tongue weight without WDH. That 9500lb capacity number has very little to do with how the truck will handle that TT behind it. Lots of area to catch wind and be blown by passing trucks, vehicles etc.

Good luck with the new setup

ctbruce
03-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Why risk it. WDH is a no-brainer.

Full disclosure: someone will chime in and say they do it all the time with a similar truck and trailer. And they have no problems at all.

Dont fall for it.

sourdough
03-09-2019, 11:49 AM
This is my quote from the other thread where you said you had upgraded trucks: "Now, make sure you have a good wdh/sway control and go make memories (safely) with the family!"

You need both the wdh and sway control for the truck handling and the safety of the occupants. That is a 5400 lb. trailer if I recall and 25?? ft. long. It can get in a tizzy and take that Silverado for a ride you don't want to be on. Safety is paramount; especially with a young family.

Tbos
03-09-2019, 01:24 PM
I towed a 238ML with my Silverado with the same capacity. The WDH was very much appreciated.

Frank G
03-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Rule of thumb.

When towing without a WDH the trailer must weigh less than half the weight of the TV, and meet the hitch limitations. A loaded 3/4 ton diesel TV will weigh in at about 8,000 lbs. that limits you to less than 4,000 lbs. A 3/4 ton gas TV about 7,000 lbs = 3,500 lb trailer. A 1/2 ton about 6,000 lbs that's only a 3,000 lb trailer. I would think the overall size of the pulled trailer needs some consideration.

kjohn
03-09-2019, 07:04 PM
I towed a Jayco 197 with a slide with two different F150's and a 1997 1500 Suburban without WDH or sway control. The first time I towed our 2017 21RBS Cougar was a windy day. My next purchase was the above noted accessory. I can't imagine pulling any half decent trailer without. Simple as that.

Old Mustanger
03-09-2019, 08:38 PM
If you are buying a new trailer and the dealer has not insisted on adding the WDH to the purchase or making sure you already have one...walk away from the dealer. JMHO :whistling:

FlyingAroundRV
03-09-2019, 09:58 PM
I would not be prepared to tow anything without some kind of sway control ... At the very least.
I guess by now most people have see the disaster videos and pictures and I'm betting no one wants to be in that situation.
When wew got our TT, the hitch people set us up with a WD/ Anti sway hitch. It cost nearly $1,000. I took a big gulp and said "just do it". Having towed the trailer 11,000 miles last year, I know the benefit of doing this. Our rig tows like a dream and I have no hesitation moving camp or doing long runs between CGs. If, as some people report, our towing was "white knuckle stuff" I couldn't see us RVing for very long.

CrazyCain
03-10-2019, 04:40 AM
Why risk it. WDH is a no-brainer.

Full disclosure: someone will chime in and say they do it all the time with a similar truck and trailer. And they have no problems at all.

Dont fall for it.

That be me Bruce....... :lol::eek::popcorn:

Controller23
03-10-2019, 04:41 AM
That be me Bruce....... :lol::eek::popcorn:

So, talk to me. What are you towing with what?

Rber1234
03-10-2019, 06:24 AM
I’m buying a Passport 239ML with a 4100ish dry weight. I just bought a Silverado with a 9500lb capacity to replace my Tacoma. Do I need a weight distribution hitch to tow this comfortably, or will the bigger truck be enough to feel ok? I’ve towed heavier trailers with a Silverado before, but nothing as large profile..

My two cents worth. I towed with and without weight distribution hitch and TT tows SO much better using one.

travelin texans
03-10-2019, 09:37 AM
My son had a lifted 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban, bought a used 25' hybrid tt, I told him to get the WDH/sway control, he insisted he wouldn't need it, we followed behind his 1st trip, our 1st stop was in about 50 miles at the 1st CW we came to to get the hitch/sway control & after we'd stopped he said he didn't know if he could or if it was safe let go of the wheel yet.
Simple answer is ABSOLUTELY!!!

TLB
03-10-2019, 09:57 AM
This is my quote from the other thread where you said you had upgraded trucks: "Now, make sure you have a good wdh/sway control and go make memories (safely) with the family!"

You need both the wdh and sway control for the truck handling and the safety of the occupants.

And the safety of others on the road.

CrazyCain
03-10-2019, 12:44 PM
To the OP and all the rest of you guys.......When i bought the TT 3 years ago, i was a newbie at hauling Travel Trailers, had a pop up for many years. The dealer offered a WDH or bumper pull with sway bar.Green horn as I was, i didn't ask to many questions and went with the 2nd choice. I Seriously have had 0 problems pulling my Hideout, no sway or whatever, but now after reading this latest post on WDH's, i will be investing in one before i start the season. Like many of you said, for the safety of me and my family and others on the road..Thanks!!!! :popcorn:

Hum, now which one! :eek:

chuckster57
03-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Which one? Anything is better than nothing, that said I would go equilizer E4. Easy install, easy set up and easy to remove and put on your next one...and there will be a next one, probably bigger.

ctbruce
03-10-2019, 02:27 PM
E4, no doubt.

sourdough
03-10-2019, 03:13 PM
E4 x 3....:)

66joej
03-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Get the E4 with the 1000# bars. As chuckster said be ready for the next RV.

Logan X
03-10-2019, 04:45 PM
I think for a lot of half ton trucks, the manufactures tow guide says a WDH is required to tow.

Controller23
03-10-2019, 04:48 PM
I think for a lot of half ton trucks, the manufactures tow guide says a WDH is required to tow.

I think you’re 100% wrong about that or they wouldn’t be able to claim whatever poundage towing capacity without also providing the wdh..

JRTJH
03-10-2019, 04:51 PM
I think you’re 100% wrong about that or they wouldn’t be able to claim whatever poundage towing capacity without also providing the wdh..

Why is that ???? They all advertise specific mileage information without providing the gas......

Logan X
03-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Page 5 of the GM towing guide seems to indicate a WDH hitch or what they call a weight carrying hitch is required for tandem axle trailers over 4000 pounds I think.

https://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Resources/02_pdf/2018-chevrolet-trailering-and-towing-guide.pdf

CrazyCain
03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Single Axle. on my hideout

:popcorn:

JRTJH
03-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Ford's 2018 Towing Guide can be downloaded here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_18RV&TTowGuide_r8_May15.pdf

Refer to page 37 for the F150 towing limitations:

F-150 (without W/D) 5,000 500 (with W/D) 13,200 1,320

It's clear that Ford recommends a weight distribution hitch for any trailer with a tongue weight greater than 500 pounds or a GVW greater than 5000 pounds. That's darn near everything Keystone produces when you consider propane, batteries and normal camping cargo.

Logan X
03-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Page 18 of Fords towing guide says you have to have WDH for max towing capacity. It in the small print at the bottom of the page.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_18RV&TTowGuide_r8_May15.pdf

sourdough
03-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Stop with listening to "claims" - they are hype. You are being given real life knowledge and experience. Your vehicle will be limited to some number, maybe 500 lbs., on the hitch. With a WDH that number can double and more - all trucks, all manufacturers that I know of. Read the hitch, study up.

Why you seem resistant to a wdh/sway control is beyond me. At 5400 lbs. (as I recall) there is enough weight back there that you should want, no, insist that a wdh was there along with a sway control. The trailer is almost 26' long....behind a 1/2 ton. You ever had a whirl wind catch you with something like that behind a 1/2 ton with no sway control?? I doubt it - I have - once. The ONLY reason you put the sway control on there is to...."control" the towed vehicle; without it you are at the mercy of the gods.

You are the one responsible for the safety of your family and others - no one else. Personally I take that very seriously and do everything I can to make sure I have taken advantage of all safety measures available. I would encourage you to listen to the advice being given and take advantage of it. No one here is trying to, or wants to, argue with you. All have the well being of you and yours in mind. If you disagree because you bought a new truck and think it can tow the Titanic then by all means give it a whirl.:D

JRTJH
03-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Going a tad bit further, I checked the owner's manual and the Chevrolet website's towing guide.

Here's the link to the 2018 Chevrolet 1500 https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2018/Chevrolet/Silverado/2018-chevrolet-silverado-owners-manual.pdf

On page 317 are the maximum tongue weights for towing:

1500 Weight-Carrying 318 kg (700 lb)
1500 Weight-Distributing 567 kg (1,250 lb)

Keep in mind those are from the 2018 manual (earlier models are typically lower) and under ideal conditions.

ALL hitch receivers that are welded/bolted to any truck frame have a sticker or a stamped information plate that lists the maximum "load carrying capacity" and the maximum "weight distribution capacity"... Typically, on half ton trucks that rating is 500/1000 pounds maximum tongue weight. Some newer receivers are rated at 650/1200 pounds maximum tongue weight...

NO hitch that I've seen on a half ton truck is rated to carry a "non-weight distribution hitch" load greater than 650 pounds. There are several "HD Truck receivers" rated significantly higher and they are not typically mounted on half ton trucks (although who knows what someone might have welded to his truck for bragging rights)....

Controller23
03-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Why you seem resistant to a wdh/sway control is beyond me. .

Sorry if it seems that way, I have decided to get one, not sure which but probably the equalizer. I have just been trying to get as much information as possible about why it’s needed and what it does, as I have towed heavy trailers long distances before, without any problems, albeit not huge wind grabbing travel trailers.

sourdough
03-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Sorry if it seems that way, I have decided to get one, not sure which but probably the equalizer. I have just been trying to get as much information as possible about why it’s needed and what it does, as I have towed heavy trailers long distances before, without any problems, albeit not huge wind grabbing travel trailers.

You're making a good decision. And yes, I have pulled a 5k lb. bbq trailer before without a wdh/sway control, but, the only thing that stuck above the top of the bed significantly was the vent pipe and the way it was built it did not put a tremendous amount of weight on the hitch....unless I loaded the front with oak:). No comparison to pulling a travel trailer.

The wdh will take some of that heavy weight that the trailer puts on your truck via the tongue then redistribute it between the front and rear of the truck as well as the trailer to enable a firm, secure, controllable towing/driving experience in the truck. With a big enough truck (not a 1/2 ton) sometimes it isn't a necessity. The sway control keeps the trailer "in line" so to speak when exterior forces want to grab those huge flat sides and push it one way or the other. And, they can exert tremendous forces, ie: semi trucks passing and winds (sometimes very small winds) which can give the trailer a mind of its own as far as where it wants to go. IMO it is a must on any 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck pulling an RV of any size.

As far as hitches there are folks using all kinds of them. I use the Equalizer 4 point and have been very happy. I've used the type (don't remember the brands) that used chains for wdh (seemed pretty effective) and the little sway control arms that fit on an extra ball on the hitch - they were ineffective from what I could tell. For your truck I would definitely recommend a good wdh/sway - they come in various price ranges and the effectiveness of the hitch seems to pretty much correspond to the price from what I've seen.

rjrelander
03-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Class III receivers are rated for 600 pounds weight carrying. Anything over 600 pounds of tongue weight requires a WDH to transfer the weight off of the receiver. Receivers can an will shear off if overloaded. Not all Class III receivers support weight distribution though so you need to check. Below 600 pounds of tongue weight, using a WDH doesn't hurt as long as it isn't overrated for the trailer, making it too stiff.

Weight distribution and sway control are different things. In my personnel opinion, sway control is either required or at least a very good idea for all types of trailers. regardless of size. I've seen way too many smaller ATV and boat trailers wagging down the road. All (most?) weight distribution hitches will provide some form of sway control but separate sway control devices are available without weight distribution.

EDIT: That's all assuming you have a Class III receiver. Even though our sway bar setup has been plenty to keep our little trailer (4400# GVWR) stable in high winds and oncoming semi trailers, we are still going to be adding WDH this spring, mainly to bring up the nose of the trailer since my drop hitch currently drops too low.

CrazyCain
03-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Grab the pop corn and bring on the opinions.....
Here is my stuff, tear into me, of course i use weight carrying at the moment...
tried to flip pictures, but failed as usual...Hideout 177LHS 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 3.42

:popcorn:

JRTJH
03-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Tom,

Now we can read your photos without whiplash.

First, the main purpose of a WD hitch is to return the majority of the weight "levered off the front axle" back to the front axle. It does more than that, but the main purpose is to return weight to the steering axle. The reason for that is to maintain steering control on the tow vehicle. If you've ever had a "tongue heavy trailer" connected to a light front end tow vehicle and crossed a railroad crossing and felt the front end "floating" without steering control, you know exactly why a WD hitch is necessary in towing heavy trailers.

What is a "heavy trailer" ???? That's a question that has so many variables that it's virtually impossible to answer "in general terms". As an example, with my DW's Escape (3500 pound max trailer capacity), a "heavy trailer" would be one that's at the upper end of that 3500 pound limit. On my SuperDuty with a 12,500 pound trailer rating, then that same trailer is definitely NOT a "heavy trailer"... So, you can see how the equipment can make a difference in whether a WD hitch might benefit safety in towing a 3300 pound trailer with my DW's Escape and would not be as necessary on my truck. So, there's no "your trailer tongue weight is XXX so you need WD" just as there's no "Your receiver is rated at 600/5000 pounds Load Carrying (without WD) and you "may or may not" feel the need for additional weight on the front axle to help maintain steering control. Once you cross that RR crossing and experience a 'free-floating steering wheel" you'll want your front tires "firmly planted on the asphalt".... Until that happens to you, you may/may not see the need for the expense of a WD hitch system....

As a side consideration, if we put your receiver on my DW's Escape, could she then safely tow a 4500 pound trailer with a tongue weight of 550 pounds ???? I ask this not to get an answer, but to illustrate that "just because one component is "rated high enough" doesn't mean the rest of the vehicle is also rated for that much load/weight/towing capacity.....

Another side consideration: Assume that you are using a "load carrying" hitch assembly and your ball mount (the 2" square bar that slides into the receiver) is 10" long and the C/L of the trailer ball is 31" from the C/L of the rear axle, if you use a different ball mount that is 18" long, moving the C/L of the trailer ball to 39" from the C/L of the rear axle, does that lever more weight off the front tires? If so, does the ball mount length affect the maximum amount of weight that you can place on the ball before a WD hitch is needed?

That's just one example of two "exact same tow vehicles towing the exact same trailer with the exact same tongue weight" and getting significantly different results in how much "rear squat" and "front rise" that will affect the towability of the "exact same rig"....

I bring that up because invariably, someone is going to post, "I have the same truck and trailer and I do it all the time".... The short answer (and the obvious one) is "No you don't have the same truck/trailer. You have one that's similar but it isn't loaded the same and the hitch you're using may be significantly different than mine, so what works for you may be critically unsafe for me".....

Controller23
03-11-2019, 02:57 PM
You all might get a kick off the detailed weight information on the 2019 Silverado 20690

busterbrown
03-11-2019, 07:37 PM
You all might get a kick off the detailed weight information on the 2019 Silverado 20690

With a proper trailering package, a lightly optioned 1/2 ton Silverado or Sierra has very close to the same payload capacity as a fully optioned 3/4 ton diesel Sierra Denali. I seen a few at the Detroit Auto Show just a couple of months ago. Makes you go "hmmmm".

Tbos
03-12-2019, 08:37 AM

When I owned a Silverado the manual stated amounts permissible with or without the WDH. Didn’t see this in the manual for my F350.
Since I posted this I see others have posted the information too. I apologize for any duplication.

ADQ K9
03-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Here is something that really supprised me, The other day I was at the dealer looking at a 2019 Ford Raptor while getting DW Explorer serviced. I should have taken a pic of the yellow sticker, the max PAYLOAD was 1018# yet the Raptors tow rating is 8000# Is it just me or do I see trouble brewing if a Raptor owner is gonna load up and tow an RV say like this one https://www.blackseriescamper.com/travel-trailers/hq19.html

66joej
03-12-2019, 01:42 PM
At 758 HP in the Hennessy warmed 5.0 Coyote engine I doubt the buyer is interested in using the Raptor as a TV. I think most of that payload would be used up for an extra gas tank.:D

sourdough
03-12-2019, 03:27 PM
I have seen Raptors towing....they aren't made for that thus the low payload. They are made for getting it and hitting whoop de doos at speed without beating you to death. Unknowledgeable folks look at the HP, stance etc. and think it's a towing "beast" it isn't and was never meant to be.

Gegrad
03-18-2019, 06:36 PM
I have seen Raptors towing....they aren't made for that thus the low payload. They are made for getting it and hitting whoop de doos at speed without beating you to death. Unknowledgeable folks look at the HP, stance etc. and think it's a towing "beast" it isn't and was never meant to be.

Very similar to that Danny is the Ram PowerWagon... Saw a new one at the auto show here a few weeks ago and it is a 2500HD. Had the 6.4 in it.... Had a yellow payload sticker of 1098 lbs. My jaw just about dropped and I had to reread it to make sure I wasn't seeing double. I couldn't believe that truck had a payload only slightly larger than a minivan, haha.

sourdough
03-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Very similar to that Danny is the Ram PowerWagon... Saw a new one at the auto show here a few weeks ago and it is a 2500HD. Had the 6.4 in it.... Had a yellow payload sticker of 1098 lbs. My jaw just about dropped and I had to reread it to make sure I wasn't seeing double. I couldn't believe that truck had a payload only slightly larger than a minivan, haha.

Those trucks are designed and built for their audience - not towing. The suspensions are built to be "supple", comliant and forgiving at speed....not carrying a static load of 1000lbs, or even 500, in the truck. They are "play toys".