PDA

View Full Version : How to identify self adjusting brakes

ADQ K9
03-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Not sure if my TT has them or not is there any thing specific to look for on the back side without taking the wheel off. I am planning a full brake, suspension and tire inspection when pulled out of storage this spring. I know they are Lippert 4400#axles.

slow
03-07-2019, 10:24 AM
You probably do not have self adjusting brakes on the 4400 axle.

The way to check is to crawl under the unit and look through the slots in the brake's backing plate after removing the rubber cap, if they were installed. Self adjusting have a spring wrapped around the shaft of the star wheel. Non-self adjusting have a spring "along side" the star wheel.

eTrailer has some images that show the difference.

ADQ K9
03-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Thanks seems simple enough Seems like I read somewhere that brakes need to be adjusted every 3k miles. I have not had any issues with loss of braking power yet. just want to be safe and thorough. The wheels will probably come off anyways

Logan X
03-07-2019, 11:32 AM
I worked on these one time. The self adjusting brakes had a metal plate in between the slot on the backing plate and the adjusting wheel. The plate prevented you from turning the wheel.

chuckster57
03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
I worked on these one time. The self adjusting brakes had a metal plate in between the slot on the backing plate and the adjusting wheel. The plate prevented you from turning the wheel.

Actually you can tighten the brakes through the slot. You can loosen them if you know the trick.