PDA

View Full Version : Locking up my TT

linux3
03-02-2019, 03:16 PM
OK, I know ANY lock can be defeated but I have been using this Reese lock and it's just way to easy to remove.
Suggestion for a better replacement?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0iop_LDanE

sourdough
03-02-2019, 03:43 PM
I run one of these locks on my trailer although it is either in an improved campground or sitting inside a secured and monitored storage building. They aren't very secure.

Here's a link you've probably seen for one that seems like it might be pretty good but is pretty expensive; and if you read the comments I don't know if it would be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMu_GnNnnBE

I do intend to replace mine because it is so easy to defeat - don't know with what yet. Also keep a pin lock on the hitch as well.

Rber1234
03-04-2019, 05:53 PM
This is the lock I bought. Very heavy duty. It’s the AmpLock U-BRP2516.

slow
03-04-2019, 06:59 PM
On the expensive side, but my Propride hitch is also an effective theft deterrent. :rolleyes:

busterbrown
03-05-2019, 03:29 AM
On the expensive side, but my Propride hitch is also an effective theft deterrent. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same about my Hensley.

busterbrown
03-05-2019, 03:33 AM
Wheel boots and 1/2 inch security chains around the wheels and axles are visual deterrents. Any criminal who wants your stuff bad enough will ultimately get it. Just make them look for an easier target.

Carrottop
03-05-2019, 08:05 AM
I use a lock on the ball one on the ball lever and one each x-chock. I would think it would be easier to move on to the next trailer than spend the time breaking 4 locks and having to remove the x-chocks.

ljp
03-16-2019, 05:07 PM
We bought the Proven Coupler Lock " (PCL) after the horse got out of the barn."

Our TT was stolen while parked in our back yard a few years back. Never thought to worry about the possibility it could be stolen. The trailer was subsequently found, interior was trashed. PCL is suppose to be one of the more secure locks on the market. Put our replacement trailer in the same spot with a PCL but didn't have to worry about it too long. We moved & the TT is now in a much more secure area.

yesiamapirate
03-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your TT. After hearing your story, I am going to get a lock. I live out in the country and it is a safe area but again, you never know.

ljp
03-16-2019, 06:27 PM
Theft of travel trailers are not very common. But, as you say, "you never know."

Even though we believe our TT is now in a more secure area we leave the PCL attached. We'll use it now when traveling. Before the theft we just parked the trailer and drove away without anything on the coupler, no longer.

Take care.....