PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue

Paladin7485
02-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone. Have a couple issues if anyone can give some advice. These issues are new. I have a 2006 Keystone Hornet 30ft with kitchen slide out. This camper was well taken care of when I bought it two years and the only thing I had to replace when I put it in service was the converter. This camper is placed on a leased lot in at the beach in the Outer Banks, NC. This is our second year there. During the summer we keep the ac on about 82 when we arent there (we live 230 miles away and come back every week or two) and in the winter months its winterized and no heat is left on and fridge unplugged. This past year we had a hurricane forecast a direct hit and we moved it home and brought it back a few weeks later. A week after that they had the hurricane come up from Florida and track north. We are located in a flood zone but on blocks. I didnt have mine completely set up from the previous week and this storm caught us off guard. The camper took in water in the inside but fortunately I didnt have it completely level and the water NEVER got high enough to even reach the converter which is located about a couple inches off the floor under the panel box. When we returned other than some carpet cleaning, replacement of the gfi at the power company box and the plastic connector under the stove that was burnt from the water, we were good. What I did with the connector was cut it out and wire tie it back together since its only an extender anyway I think and went to the hot water heater I also think. Anyway, works fine. I also cut out the insulation under it that was water drenched and let it air out. Returned 2 weeks later everything still working just fine and none of the underside wood boards are even warped they look brand new. So the water apparently wasnt up long and by my coming down fast and draining it saved the wood. So all is well.

I returned one more time during Thanksgiving then winterized the water, turned off the ac, unplugged the fridge. I never unplug the shoreline because it keeps the battery charged and the power in the camper because I have internet and cameras so I can view things from home. Well a few weeks ago I cant log in to the cameras. Power is fine and internet has no issues so I was worried someone messed with the outside cord at the pole. Arrived Friday and found the third or fourth breaker was tripped. Flipped it back on and all was working. It was 45 degrees so I went to try the heater. This is my first time using the heater since I bought the camper. That fired up fine. Since that is almost floor level under the fridge I was worried water got into that. Apparently not because it fired up fine, no gas smells, etc. Spent the night, next morning heat still working fine so we left to hit some shops. Got back and heat was off. Not low in propane because I can see green plus I lit the stove and ran that a good 20 min to heat the camper. No breakers tripped, no fuses blown. I went to flip the fan to the on position and it does not come one at all. So this eliminated the heater because im fairly certain without the fan it wont operate. I checked everything in the box and could never get it to work so we left and returned home. I ordered another thermostat hoping that is the issue. Been home past 4 days and logged into cameras every day and short while ago lost them again. Not a power or internet issue once again, confirmed, so this means that 3rd of 4th breaker tripped again.

Sorry to be long and like I said im 230 miles away. Any clue why this breaker is tripping. It hasnt been tripping before until this past couple months. And has anyone had an experience with the fan. Worried its something major and not the thermostat. I know the routine, try replacing the breaker which I havent done yet but it doesnt trip immediately it waits until I return home to trip. These breakers are vaguely labeled as you can see in the pic. By looking at the pic at the third or fourth breaker trips can anyone see what it controls by looking at the label? Its not raining down there. So my question is what caused the fan to just stop working. I took a meter and checked the back of the thermostat and im not getting any voltage so it may not be the thermostat. But the breaker tripping was prior to me running any heat this trip and its off now and tripped again tonight. And the connector under the stove is that ok to leave wire nutted?

Thanks for any input.

Wingerdinger
02-28-2019, 03:02 AM
First, the fan for the furnace will not come on when you put the thermostat in 'fan on'. That switch turns on the A/C fan, if the thermostat in in A/C mode, and you have A/C.
The furnace fan only runs when the unit calls for heat, and should start a few seconds after you turn the thermostat to call for heat. The fan is for the blower, but also for combustion, and will shut down if the furnace doesn't ignite for any reason. The furnace runs on 12 volts, not 120 volts, so you would have a fuse blow if there were an electrical issue with it, not the 120 volt breakers.
The Breakers and fuses are well labeled, with the breakers described along the left side of them. It would be important to know which breaker is tripping. The 'third' breaker is labeled GFI, and is probably for most of the outlets in the RV. The 'forth' breaker is labeled Micro, for the microwave outlet.
The fuses are labeled on the door, you can see the furnace fuse is 5th from the top.
Was the flood water salt water, or fresh water? Salt water will corrode everything electrical, and doesn't need to be in the water to cause damage. I think you may have more damage than you think. Most flood damaged RVs are condemned by insurance because of hidden, potentially dangerous damage.
If you are looking to repair it yourself, you will have to look at every single point where there is a junction, outlet, wire splice, ground distribution. Start with the plug and work your way in. It could be a very major job.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of the unfortunate news.

Roscommon48
02-28-2019, 05:22 AM
gee, gosh, what???

use paragraphs to break up you question if you want help. sorry but i'm old. but i guess the response equaled your original question.

but all of your circuits should not be 'tripping' if they are you have to figure out why.
as for the themostat, I suspect it is just fine and it is another issue.

Paladin7485
02-28-2019, 06:13 AM
Yes the camper is located on the sound side of the beach near the Atlantic Ocean so its salt water. The breaker that is tripping is the 3rd one in fact. It waits 3 or 4 days to trip. It's too cold to have the ac come on but when turned to on and not auto the blower motor should come on which it is not doing. It did when I was there the first day but after the heater went off the second day it wouldn't work in the on position at all. As far as the heater it cycled on and off as normal all day and night so I dont believe anything on it was damaged from the water itself. I know salt water in the air is just as bad especially with electrical over time. I will look it over more when I go back down again but from my last inspection underside nothing appeared to be damaged or corroded and the water that got inside was about an inch and missed the panel box, converter, heater, etc. I'm fairly certain if the heater was under water with salt it would not have instantly fired up and ran all day. I assumed that since I couldn't get the blower to work on the thermostat It could be the thermostat. I know it has nothing to do with the breaker thats tripping.

jsmith948
02-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Check all of your a/c receptacles. If there is even a tiny amount of moisture in the receptacle box, the GFCI breaker will trip. I would very closely inspect your work where you wire nutted a circuit. You are in a moist environment and wire nuts are not a good way to go. Why not replace the connector that you said was burnt up? You could also use one of those connectors that is filled with dialectic grease.
I like the above poster's idea of checking every connection. I would start with any that you know were in contact with the water.

Wingerdinger
02-28-2019, 08:48 AM
You appear to have two problems, so far.
The third breaker is labeled GFI, and in my RVs in the past, has been wired to the GFI and outside outlets. Sometimes a GFI outlet controls more outlets than just the one.I would turn on that breaker, and check each outlet in the unit, then turn it off and see what loses power, so you know which are controlled by that breaker.
For the furnace, to eliminate the thermostat, you can run a jumper wire from the 12 volts to the control wire in the thermostat housing, and it should start. That does not eliminate the control board, which is near the floor, and a lot more likely. Look for corrosion and white (salt) accumulations on the board and wiring. Those control boards will not tolerate the salt. Open the panel to the furnace, and inspect everything.
Do you have insurance? You might consider a claim, you are likely in for some long term issues, and your deductible may be the least of your problems.