PDA

View Full Version : Confusing axle label message

SummitPond
02-27-2019, 11:54 AM
I was under the trailer today looking where to remount the booster for my TPMS and decided to look at the axles. The following message confuses me:

Trailer running gear shall be equipped with tires having a static loaded radius that does not exceed by more than 10% the static loaded radius shown in the tire manufacturer's published data for the actual tire tested.

What does this mean in English?

Thanks.

Tbos
02-27-2019, 01:03 PM
That’s a good one. I can’t even begin to guess. I looked under mine and both axles have the same sn on them.

CWtheMan
02-27-2019, 03:41 PM
"Static loaded radius arc" "means a portion of a circle whose centre is the centre of a standard tire-rim combination of a vehicle and whose radius is the distance from that centre to the level surface on which the vehicle is standing, measured with the vehicle at curb weight, the wheel parallel to the vehicle's longitudinal centreline, and the tire inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure."

MickLittle
02-27-2019, 03:54 PM
So....... Does that mean 10% squat of the tires from the center of the axle when sitting level?

bobbecky
02-27-2019, 04:00 PM
It just means, don't put larger tires on the rig than what it came with, or at least no more than 10% taller.

Tireman9
02-27-2019, 05:43 PM
RE TPMS booster. Are you sure your booster is waterproof and rated for external mount?

SummitPond
02-27-2019, 05:45 PM
It just means, don't put larger tires on the rig than what it came with, or at least no more than 10% taller.

I wonder why they just couldn't say that in plain English!

Anyway, as the TT wheel rotations aren't used to determine speed or distance traveled, as long as the tire fits in the alloted space, why would it matter?

SummitPond
02-27-2019, 05:52 PM
RE TPMS booster. Are you sure your booster is waterproof and rated for external mount?

Yes, thank you. I had the booster (https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/tireminder-solar-powered-trailer-tpms-4-tire-kit/) mounted near the tongue on the old trailer (19FBPR) and brought it with me to the new unit. I was actually wondering the same thing initially, but a check with the factory indicated it was reasonably weatherproofed.

travelin texans
02-27-2019, 08:41 PM
"Static loaded radius arc" "means a portion of a circle whose centre is the centre of a standard tire-rim combination of a vehicle and whose radius is the distance from that centre to the level surface on which the vehicle is standing, measured with the vehicle at curb weight, the wheel parallel to the vehicle's longitudinal centreline, and the tire inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure."

The OP asked for an explanation in "English", not sure this was it!!!

ChuckS
02-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Wonder what TPMS your using. I’m running TST 507 with Duramax clubbcab and 34 foot Alpine. I haven’t needed a repeater to maintain signals from sending units to monitor head.

SummitPond
02-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Wonder what TPMS your using. I’m running TST 507 with Duramax clubbcab and 34 foot Alpine. I haven’t needed a repeater to maintain signals from sending units to monitor head.

Look at post #8; the word "booster" is underlined and is a link to the unit I have. The TPMS is limited to 70 psi tires (I'm LR-D at 65 psi) and came with the booster. My truck is 21 feet overall, so the booster is a nice feature.

CWtheMan
02-28-2019, 02:11 PM
The OP asked for an explanation in "English", not sure this was it!!!

That's sort of one Mainer to another Mainer; Don't worry about it. It's complicated and meant for the trailer builders to decipher.

SummitPond
03-01-2019, 12:44 PM
that's sort of one mainer to another mainer ...

:) .