PDA

View Full Version : Securing Dining Table & Chairs

Cougar29FKS
02-21-2019, 10:56 AM
I recently had the flooring replaced in my slide out and removed the dining booth and table that came with the trailer. I want to put a dining table with two chairs in its place but I am wondering the best way to secure them so they don’t move while traveling.

I know a lot of people have a freestanding table and chairs in their RV but does anyone have problems with them moving around or do they stay in place on their own? I can obviously screw the table to the floor but is this the best way? What about the chairs? Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

DocP
02-21-2019, 12:10 PM
My old Cougar 32RLI had the table screwed to the floor. It came with 2 straps that you could put around the chairs to secure them while traveling. I always laid the chairs on the floor, seat-to-seat, prior to strapping them down. There was a little clip (like a miniature D-ring) screwed down to the floor on each side of the table to attach the strap to.

cmlong
02-21-2019, 01:30 PM
My old Cougar (2011) had the table screwed to the flooor. This alpine has it attached to wall with a bracket.

Canonman
02-21-2019, 01:52 PM
I would think simple "L" brackets screwed to the floor and the inside of the table legs would be effective enough and out of view to be esthetically acceptable. A 1 inch D ring tie down with a 5/8th inch strap and buckle would easily hold the chairs. Our recliner is secured this way and it doesn't move at all. All items available at Home Depot.

rhagfo
02-21-2019, 09:23 PM
The "Freestanding" table in our Copper Canyon is screwed to the floor. The chairs we just place them under the table. If you are looking at rougher roads maybe bungees.

wiredgeorge
02-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Recently replaced my booth dinette with a table & 2 chairs from Ikea. Just turn the table upside down and set the chairs between the legs.

Cougar29FKS
02-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all! I think I will mount some D ring tie downs and might end up just screwing the table to the floor with some L brackets. These looked like a good way to keep the chairs in place too.

http://www.morryde.com/products/183-the-chair-buddytm

wiredgeorge
02-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Those things look like a good way to get your kneecaps busted bwhahaha

Canonman
02-22-2019, 03:38 PM
Gotta agree with George on that one.

66joej
02-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all! I think I will mount some D ring tie downs and might end up just screwing the table to the floor with some L brackets. These looked like a good way to keep the chairs in place too.

Just a suggestion. I replaced the couch in our TT with La-z-boy recliners. Found out the floor of the slideout is not that thick. Best I could use was 3/4" screws to anchor the chairs.YMMV

gearhead
02-22-2019, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure if our dining table has anything holding it down. I use a bungee with vinyl coated hooks around the chair legs closest to the table pedestal. Haven't noticed much movement.
I think Keystone may have provided a 1" black strap.

fjr vfr
02-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Our table is screwed to the floor. The screws pass through holes on the table legs. We strap the chairs tougher on each side and put a piece of pool noodle between them to keep them from banging together. If I only had two chairs, I'd just lay them down.

I actually don't think they would go anywhere if we didn't strap them together. I've talked to some other owners who say they just leave them free and have never had a problem.
The only things that seem to bounce around in our trailer are all the way to the back. I would say to keep it simple. It would take a pretty big bounce to send them flying anywhere.

Cougar29FKS
02-25-2019, 12:18 PM
Those things look like a good way to get your kneecaps busted bwhahaha

Hadn't thought of that! Good point!!

wiredgeorge
02-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Just a suggestion. I replaced the couch in our TT with La-z-boy recliners. Found out the floor of the slideout is not that thick. Best I could use was 3/4" screws to anchor the chairs.YMMV

Our genuine Keystone couch was NOT secured. It's weight must have held in the slide while traveling just fine for the past 16 years (our Cougar 5ver is a 2002). I put Lazyboy reclining love seat in and didn't nail it down either and it hasn't moved a bit after many trips up and down and around hills.

daveinaz
02-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Just curious. Not that I'm OCD or anything :lol: ... but, if you have a 3400RL with the dining room table still screwed into the floor... how far from the slider walls is it screwed down??

captjimmy
03-03-2019, 08:12 AM
We have a table and 4 chairs in our Raptor. We use cut-up pool noodles to pad the sides of the chair and table edges, push the chairs in to the table, then we bungee the chairs together around the legs/seat area. Haven't had any scratches or problems yet.

Wilco
03-03-2019, 11:20 AM
In our Outback I rearranged the dinette into an 'L' shape.

In our other trailer, I installed a couple of 'D' rings on the wall. I unscrewed the table from the floor and just push it into the corner. I stack the chairs against it and strap them and the table to the 'D' rings. Nothing has moved in over 4,000 miles.

larryflew
03-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Our Alpine has free standing everything, table, chairs, etc and we just pack them in as tight as they will go and have not had a problem in 6 trips from MN to AZ for the winter.

Local150
03-03-2019, 02:22 PM
My free standing table is screwed to the floor,, the chairs l just used bunge cords and tied chairs to table,, no problems

jimborokz
03-04-2019, 09:00 AM

Hadn't thought of that! Good point!!

This is what came on our 3731FL, but we also have a cantilevered table so the clamp folds down clean against the wall. I don't know how well it would work on either a pedistal or standard leg table. Cantilevered may be a consideration as you screw it to the wall and not the floor.

Jca3
03-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Our dealer moved our table in our Laredo because it was centered with the window but that was too tight for anyone but a skinny person to sit on one side. They recommended they do it so we wouldn't unravel the rug when pulling out the screws. The chairs have a tie down. A vinyl strap that clips around the legs and the table pedestal. Have traveled thousands of miles and never have a problem with the chairs. Other than clipping them in place we don't do anything else. No pool noodles, laying them on the floor etc. We took two out since we didn't need 4 and it gave us more room.

crk112
03-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Our dealer moved our table in our Laredo because it was centered with the window but that was too tight for anyone but a skinny person to sit on one side. They recommended they do it so we wouldn't unravel the rug when pulling out the screws. The chairs have a tie down. A vinyl strap that clips around the legs and the table pedestal. Have traveled thousands of miles and never have a problem with the chairs. Other than clipping them in place we don't do anything else. No pool noodles, laying them on the floor etc. We took two out since we didn't need 4 and it gave us more room.

Now I'm curious... and I apologize for the topic drift.. what does the dealer do differently to prevent the rug from being unraveled when taking the screws out?

Jca3
03-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Now I'm curious... and I apologize for the topic drift.. what does the dealer do differently to prevent the rug from being unraveled when taking the screws out?

He just said he has seen people who pulled a string and unraveled a strip in the rug because the screws are very long. We said, "sure by all means you do it." They took care if it for no charge before we took possession. Have no idea what was different other than they knew how to prevent it before it happened.

travelin texans
03-04-2019, 03:00 PM
A new rv tech career with specialized training, a "screw unscrewer from carpet"!
Wonder what it pays??
Sounds better than working on anything black tank related!!!!

Jca3
03-04-2019, 03:56 PM
:lol: :):iagree:

crk112
03-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Haha that all makes sense now.. I thought they had some fancy way of doing it that they could nickel&dime on. I suppose if they screw up the carpet it's on them to fix/replace right? :D :lol:

MarknLeanna
12-13-2020, 09:27 PM
Just curious. Not that I'm OCD or anything :lol: ... but, if you have a 3400RL with the dining room table still screwed into the floor... how far from the slider walls is it screwed down??
3/4 inch to the outside slide wall

BrooksFam
12-14-2020, 07:28 AM
I cut a small X in the carpet with a utility knife before installing screws. This has been effective in preventing the carpet from wrapping around the screw when driven in or out.

flybouy
12-14-2020, 09:16 AM
When drilling and placing screws or bolts thru carpet I use two tools. First I locate the hole, or where I want to drill a hole, with a scratch awl tool. Then I take my soldering iron with a conical point tip that I only use for this purpose to open up the hole. This will melt thru the carpet and "seal" the perimeter of the hole preventing it from unraveling or catching on a drill bit or screw thread.