PDA

View Full Version : CO detector

waltheraustin
02-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Last weekend was the first cold weather trip we've had and the first night the detector starting going off so we changed the batteries and it continued so we turned off the heat and froze the rest of the night. Woke up and decided to turn it on the warm up. It didn't alarm any more which I thought was odd. Did it have to burn off something and basically clean itself since the heater hadn't been used?

spade117
02-18-2019, 01:08 PM
I have heard and read that quite a few people have an initial smell that happens the first time they use their furnace. Not sure how that would relate to the CO2 sensor though.

waltheraustin
02-18-2019, 01:10 PM
I have heard and read that quite a few people have an initial smell that happens the first time they use their furnace. Not sure how that would relate to the CO2 sensor though.Yeah not sure, that's the only thing I could think of. Made me a little nervous to not smell anything

bobbecky
02-18-2019, 01:20 PM
The CO detector will go off normally when it senses CO, carbon monoxide, not CO2 which is carbon dioxide which we exhale when we breathe. CO is produced by burning fuels, like running generators, car exhaust, and such. You don’t say how old the detector is, but they are ‘supposed to’ have about a 5 to 7 year life. I had to replace ours, which uses a 9 volt battery, when it was about 3 years old, and it was doing the same thing, sounding the alarm for no reason. I’ve also had to replace the propane detector and the smoke/fire detector way before their alleged end of life time. You have no idea what chemicals these detectors have been exposed to, which drastically shortens their life because the sensors will deteriorate from age and exposure to various substances. It’s better to replace a suspect detector than risk not having it work properly, regardless of cost.

Steveo57
02-18-2019, 01:21 PM
I would be very careful. I've had my CO detector go off before when I started the furnace up after it hadn't been run for a while. Maybe something was a little plugged up or something was stuck but I put a separate monitor in and it was also reading high.

It fixed itself after shutting the furnace off and restarting it later.

As you know CO is odorless and colorless so you won't know if there's a problem until your dead!

Ever since then I have always used two detectors just to give me piece of mind.

You've probably got three detectors in your RV. A CO detector, a smoke detector, and a propane leak detector. It's important to know which one is what so if it alarms you know what it's trying to warn you about.

travelin texans
02-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Mine has a combination CO/LP monitor hardwired into the rv baretry, if the battery is low the monitor will alarm. Also some aerosol sprays, hair spray & air fesheners particularly, the DW uses will cause it to alarm immediately.

ADQ K9
02-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Never had mine go off with the heater on but last spring had to replace the batteries (3 AA). Put in regular alkaline batteries, they lasted the whole summer till the day I put it in winter storage and then low battery warning started going off. Should I upgrade to a lithium battery for longer life?

waltheraustin
02-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Yeah, definitely made us nervous until the next morning it was quiet with a green blinking light. Getting another one is probably the best bet

DocP
02-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Mine has a combination CO/LP monitor hardwired into the rv baretry, if the battery is low the monitor will alarm. Also some aerosol sprays, hair spray & air fesheners particularly, the DW uses will cause it to alarm immediately.

I had a dog who used to sleep on the floor near the CO/LP monitor. On more than one occasion the alarm went off when she farted. I love the look on an embarassed dog's face!

Steveo57
02-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Yeah, definitely made us nervous until the next morning it was quiet with a green blinking light. Getting another one is probably the best betLook for the ones that have a readout so you can see what's going on.

I've used these.

Kidde Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display KN-COPP-B-LPM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6V5CI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hv0ACbRJDASZ0

waltheraustin
02-18-2019, 03:56 PM
I have one in the house near the furnace so problem solved!

Sort of

meaz93*
02-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Also, always have at least one window cracked open when firing up the furnace.....I know it's cold but better safe than sorry!20385

waltheraustin
02-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Also, always have at least one window cracked open when firing up the furnace.....I know it's cold but better safe than sorry!20385Will do from now on

66joej
02-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Also, always have at least one window cracked open when firing up the furnace.....I know it's cold but better safe than sorry!20385

Now that is FUNNY!

BadmanRick
02-24-2019, 01:04 PM
My Co detector died in the middle of the night after 6 years. Could not replace with same type as original because they were no longer made. Upgraded to a combo fire /co Kidde. Runs on as batteries and talks to you. Replace the old one and you should not have any problem.

SummitPond
02-24-2019, 05:06 PM
My Co detector died in the middle of the night ...

In the middle of the night? It figures! :facepalm: It started squawking and making lots of noise, yes?

I thought ours was going bad at one time, but it was the 12V supply from the trailer (the converter was on its way out, thus the batter wasn't charging). Hopefully I'll be good for several more years.