PDA

View Full Version : Florida? Be Careful!

sourdough
02-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Having traveled to FL for the last 7 years it has become abundantly clear to me, and DW, that there are things here you need to be warned about and possibly steer clear of.

For the last many years we have traveled to FL for winter, spring etc. The first couple of years it was not noticeable, but it was for 2 months or so. Now, after 3 years of spending 5 months, it's indisputable....the state makes you FAT!!

The last 3 years I arrived back in TX 15-20 lbs. heavier than when I left. I return, work my tail off, and lose the weight only to return as soon as I've lost the weight and gain it again.....we think it's the salt air:D...or something.

In TX I don't eat sweets; I don't eat fried food and doc says I'm doing great. Land in FL and what happens? Great seafood everywhere (and yes, I love fried seafood and eat it at every chance) and, weirdly, I get an unstoppable craving for sweets. I buy sweets at every store I go to. The Winn Dixie has a WONDERFUL dark chocolate cake with an exquisite cream frosting....I buy one....and EAT it !! What to do, what to do?? We have determined it is the low altitude and high humidity...SO, all of those comtemplating coming here...BEWARE! At first I thought it was the beautiful blue water and the exercise of taking puppy out to the lake every day but now we are convinced it is the above...so, just be aware....or bring your exercise bike!!

rhagfo
02-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Danny, you might want to watching the weight on your TV then. We really don't want you running over weight! :D

I do know what you mean about great food!

sourdough
02-13-2019, 09:41 PM
The truck's not going to be overweight YET.....:D, but if I don't get a handle on my eating they'll have to pull me out with a forklift when I get home...:lol: AND, who would have ever thought low altitude, blue water and high humidity could have caused that???:eek: You could knock me over with a feather!:nonono:

notanlines
02-14-2019, 02:54 AM
All this talk about repairing relays in slides, leaks in black tanks and patching seams in rubber roofs leaving me lacking in interest. This latest talk about getting fat in Florida, fried shrimp, buying trucks to haul the bigger load; now THIS is a subject on which I can speak with authority.
Yesterday we took a short trip to Costco in Fort Myers for a pre-lunch, drove to Farmers Market Restaurant for chicken gizzards, potatoes and gravy (yeast rolls made on site) and made it back to the park in time for happy hour. I got my physical work-out later when I did a nice pork tenderloin on the grill.
Uh, did I mention I got carrot cake to go at the restaurant?
And don't let Danny fool you. He's not the fat-butt he might profess. I have met Danny and his DW Susan and he doesn't fit that mold...:D

Frank G
02-14-2019, 04:02 AM
Just checked the 10 day forecast, mid 70's to upper 80's and sunshine. Back to Costco for grilling supplies. Lobster Bisque is on sale.

roadglide
02-14-2019, 05:00 AM
I left my scale at home so I'm checking my weight by the seat of my pants and retired the belt on this Arizona trip. Danny there is nothing like fresh deep fried sea food for tast.

CaptnJohn
02-14-2019, 05:41 AM
Doc put me on Lipitor and had my gallbladder removed so I can eat all the fried I see. I live on th southern coast of NC and spend 3 months in Florida. Lots of fried everything including deep fried pork chops.

travelin texans
02-14-2019, 08:24 AM
We've wintered in Florida, Rio Grand valley in Texas, Texas Gulf coast & now the last 4 years in Arizona & everyone of those places have the same effect on my waist line. I think it's peer pressure from all the other snowbirds to eat, drink & be merry. It's a tough lifestyle, but ain't it FUN!

Number 4
02-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Hey Danny, eat well and enjoy! However, please check the tag to make sure you're not wearing a China bomb belt. If that buckle fails the flying metal could do damage!

hankpage
02-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Danny, If you think vacationing here is fattening, try living here. The secret is that Florida comes with a built in sauna they call summer to melt away the extra pounds we put on in winter.

Yes, sea food must be fried or grilled at home. Grilling at a restaurant does not work for me. If I wanted it blackened I would let Lynn cook it. :hide:

Leave the exercise bike at home and just wear stretchy pants and loose tropical shirts and enjoy our fine cuisine and beautiful weather.

Gotta go ... it's happy hour and I hear a Grouper Ruben calling my name, Hank

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1153

sourdough
02-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Hey Danny, eat well and enjoy! However, please check the tag to make sure you're not wearing a China bomb belt. If that buckle fails the flying metal could do damage!

Ha!! It may get worse before it gets better. On a whim I bought a little bag of fried pork skins at a local meat market that cuts/grinds/smokes all their own meats, and where I buy all of my meat and sausages. The pork rinds were in little baggies in a cardboard box on the floor by the check out. Wow! They were outstanding! Went back yesterday and asked where they got them....they make their own fried pork skins when processing hogs! Well, I bought all the "hot" (really cajun) skins they had and promptly began to eat most of them. So, I figure these things are just another blow against my battle with overeating here.:facepalm:

As far as the belt/buckle exploding....they won't. I buy custom, American made gun belts from the "Beltman" (Jim Speidel). They are extremely stout. Recently I believe he sold the business and have not bought any belts made under the new owners (I have 4 hanging in my closet), but, if I grow enough to make one of these explode....heaven have mercy!!!:eek:

sourdough
02-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Danny, If you think vacationing here is fattening, try living here. The secret is that Florida comes with a built in sauna they call summer to melt away the extra pounds we put on in winter.

Yes, sea food must be fried or grilled at home. Grilling at a restaurant does not work for me. If I wanted it blackened I would let Lynn cook it. :hide:

Leave the exercise bike at home and just wear stretchy pants and loose tropical shirts and enjoy our fine cuisine and beautiful weather.

Gotta go ... it's happy hour and I hear a Grouper Ruben calling my name, Hank

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1153

You are 100% right on the above. We learned the first year that "grilled" meant thrown on a flattop with about a gallon of grease and some sort of "secret" seasoning to help it "slide" down. If I want grilled, or blackened, I do it at home the others just miss the mark for us. Fried? Well, I'm a sucker for a crust that I don't have to make I guess......:facepalm:

ken56
02-14-2019, 06:08 PM
OMG! The Gulf Pinks are the best shrimp I have had. I bought 3 5lb boxes to bring home, 50 bucks a box. Well worth it to have the fresh frozen shrimp on hand to grill, boil or fry at my pleasure. Trico Shrimp Co. has them wrapped and ready to travel. Right off the boat seafood, San Carlos Island on the way to Ft. Myers Beach. Good place.

CaptnJohn
02-14-2019, 08:25 PM
OMG! The Gulf Pinks are the best shrimp I have had. I bought 3 5lb boxes to bring home, 50 bucks a box. Well worth it to have the fresh frozen shrimp on hand to grill, boil or fry at my pleasure. Trico Shrimp Co. has them wrapped and ready to travel. Right off the boat seafood, San Carlos Island on the way to Ft. Myers Beach. Good place.

Shrimp - get them off the boat at home. All kinds of fresh sea food at home, much off my boat. When traveling or snowbird I look for steak and especially ribs. Best ribs ever are at BFE in Panama City Beach Florida. Best donuts are at Licking Good Donuts in Foley Alabama. Meatloaf at Ned's in St Augustine

JRTJH
02-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Shrimp? Buy 'em by the washtub for pennies on the pound at the docks in Cameron, LA. The shrimp boats radio in their "anticipated refrigerated truck needs" and once they dock, they fill those trucks. There's almost always several hundred pounds left over. Twenty boats times 500 pounds each makes for a bunch of washtubs full of shrimp that either get sold or go to waste, so they sell them for "beer and cigarette money". Last time we were there, we bought 2 number three washtubs (about 100 pounds each) for $25. Sure, you have to buy ice to get them home, but.....

As for eating prepared seafood, next time you're on I-55, headed north from Laplace, LA, get off in Manchac and try the seafood platter at Middendorf's. Their fried catfish platter is good too, but you won't have room for dessert with either platter. There's a campground in Hammond, just about 15 miles north of Manchac, so when you find yourself no longer fitting under the seatbelt, no need to go any further than Hammond.

And if you're brave and have a taste for a platter of softshell crabs, There's a bar on the wharf in Ponchatoula that sells them on old fashioned Dixie beer trays, last ones I had were $6 a dozen. Complete with Louisiana hot sauce and lemon.....

sourdough
02-14-2019, 09:06 PM
OK, OK Stop! This stuff about the places in LA (which I love) has me revamping my plans for the way home. I still have 4-5 lbs before I hit that 20lb. threshold (and thinking about LA I might go 25). NEW places and NEW food....and 4-5lbs to gain?? Gotta go I'm thinkin....and as a previous poster said....I can dump this big belt and go with suspenders!!!

Edit: Shrimp. We used to go to Port Aransas/Pass TX and run the shrimp boat docks to get shrimp off the boat to bring back to SE NM and W TX. Found a little place called Shorty's late one evening. Her husband was still out on the boat and said he would be in in a while _ didn't have much of a catch. We said we would wait and buy it all. We sat on some wooden chairs drinking beer with the wife for a long time and finally Shorty got in. Unloaded the boat into some big wash tubs and said take it all for $2 a pound. Extra large, large, med and salad shrimp....about 50-60lbs. In it were a bunch of crabs that were thrown in as well. Super eating, super time and super memory.

JRTJH
02-14-2019, 09:13 PM
If you're planning to hit Middendorf's for lunch, you can head across the Mississippi river west of Hammond, take US1 to LeCompte and be at Lea's Lunchroom for dessert. Best damn pies in all of Louisiana. Then, if it's the weekend, try a crawfish omlette at Swamp Daddy's Crawfish in Alexandria the next morning. If that doesn't get you "over the top" then not much will ... LOL

sourdough
02-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Sounds great. My daughter in law (ex and love her dearly) lives in LeCompte but haven't spent a lot of time eating out there. Her mom and stepdad have a ranch there and always put on a "spread".

notanlines
02-15-2019, 03:40 AM
Here we are, stuck in the culinary dregs of Clewiston, Florida and y'all are chatting up Louisiana cuisine. I feel like I'm being punished.
If you plan on stopping at Middendorf's, keep in mind they are closed Monday and Tuesday, and will be SWAMPED after church on Sunday. Brenda recommends their turtle soup, made in house, and if a first timer, be sure to try the thin-fried catfish. It really is their signature dish.

whcarr
02-15-2019, 05:42 AM
A China bomb belt! Now that's funny! Life is good.

Tbos
02-15-2019, 05:56 AM
This is one of the reasons I like this forum. Not only do we learn about tires, RVs, Warranties, Campgrounds, etc... but we learn about the foods available wherever we could go.

Badbart56
02-15-2019, 07:49 AM
If you get down around Tampa/Seffner, Fl. go to Tibby's! This place is awesome! Very good food. WE have been there three times and nothing is mediocre. They have three locations I believe. Here's a link:

https://tibbys.com/

ken56
02-16-2019, 06:18 AM
OK, this is a first. I have taken notes and written down these places. We love going to Louisiana but have not stayed anywhere but around New Orleans, Abita Springs really. I would love to hit the Gulf Coast there. It is no wonder that LA has been called the most overweight state. The Cajun food is incredible. Going to cook up the last of my Gulf Pink shrimp today.

rtbfgb
02-22-2019, 06:11 AM
It,s just as bad in Port Araansas ,Texas Whataburger&Dairy Queen,Heb

5J's
02-24-2019, 09:38 AM
As far as the belt/buckle exploding....they won't. I buy custom, American made gun belts from the "Beltman" (Jim Speidel). They are extremely stout. Recently I believe he sold the business and have not bought any belts made under the new owners (I have 4 hanging in my closet), but, if I grow enough to make one of these explode....heaven have mercy!!!:eek:

I don't want to hijack this thread but, can you give me some contact info for this belt guy? They sound interesting.

JRTJH
02-24-2019, 11:34 AM
DW and I were making plans last evening for a trip to New Orleans this fall. She mentioned going to Charlie's Steak House, a place we used to frequent, but that I'd completely forgotten about. If you're going to be around New Orleans, head to Charlie's at 4510 Dryades. You won't find decent parking, you'll have to walk up the steps, your plate may be chipped and your waiter might not smile as much as you'd like and you won't find anything but steaks and sides on the menu. There are 4 choices, 26 oz T-bone, 18 oz Ribeye, 14 oz NY strip or 10 oz filet. I'd suggest the potatoes au gratin and an order of onion rings. Plan on sharing and if you want desert, plan on taking it home for the next day because you won't have room to stuff it into you after eating most of what's served. Closed on Sunday and Monday, forget trying to get a seat on any holiday weekend, but a Wednesday or Thursday evening, after about 7PM, you can usually find a parking spot within a block or two, take a hearty appetite, you'll need it. Oh, the crab au gratin is "to die for"..... (figuratively, of course)..... If you have to wait for a table, talk to anyone about the history of Charlie's. It's quite the place and although no longer owned by Charlie (he died years ago) his wife wouldn't sell it until she found someone who promised not to make any changes to the service, the food or the location.

hankpage
02-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Check out Hanks Belts online. They are what I use and they are a life time belt. The way I eat, my belts take a beating.
No connection to this Hank.

sourdough
02-24-2019, 03:51 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread but, can you give me some contact info for this belt guy? They sound interesting.

Just google "the beltman" and their info should come right up....out of AL.

SummitPond
02-24-2019, 04:58 PM
DW and I were making plans last evening for a trip to New Orleans this fall. ...

Ah - the foods of New Orleans! We liked Deanie's near the lakefront (I understand they have a restaurant in the Quarter now) and Bozo's in Metairie for seafood. They used to be well-known by locals; not sure if the tourists have found them (well, obviously "yes" for the one in the Quarter). For steaks it used to be Young's in Slidell on Gause Road.

cliff
02-24-2019, 09:33 PM
We spent a week in the keys and gained weight on all the seafood, etc. The on the way home the DW caught a twelve inch smallmouth bass in Beaumont, TX while our standard poodle was swimming in the lake. A local came by and said "You need to get your dog out of the lake, because of the alligators," Got him out and went back to the fiver.

notanlines
02-25-2019, 03:41 AM
What John said about Charlie's! We kind of got the stink-eye the last time when we split the ribeye, but the waiter insisted it was an acceptable act, he just wanted a bigger order. There is no such thing as a bad steak at Charlie's And when in New Orleans avoid the Central Grocery (too touristy) and head to Conchon Butcher for your muffaletta.

JRTJH
02-25-2019, 07:29 AM
What John said about Charlie's! We kind of got the stink-eye the last time when we split the ribeye, but the waiter insisted it was an acceptable act, he just wanted a bigger order. There is no such thing as a bad steak at Charlie's And when in New Orleans avoid the Central Grocery (too touristy) and head to Conchon Butcher for your muffaletta.

It's "daunting" for a first timer or for someone that's not familiar with the way Charlie's works. They walk in, are greeted with a smile, shown their table, the waiter comes over and asks, "How do you want your ribeye cooked?" and follows that with "Do you want one or two orders of Au gratin potatoes?" No offer of a menu (I've never seen one in printed form at Charlie's) and when the waiter leaves to turn in your order and get your drinks, you wonder, "What the hell just happened? He told us what we're going to eat." Yep, that's Charlie's, and believe it or not, the waiter is always right..... LOL

CaptnJohn
02-25-2019, 08:45 AM
When you want to grill your own anywhere in th country those that have access to a commissary on any military installation are lucky. The best steaks are always there. Choice or select, always great. On cold days they are great from the oven as well. Y'all have me considering a trip to Jacksonville NAS today.

5J's
02-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Thanks Hank and Danny!