PDA

View Full Version : New Engine from Ford for 2020.

Badbart56
02-06-2019, 04:27 PM
A new 7.3 gas engine from Ford coming for the new 2020 F250 through F450, and a more powerful 6.7 Turbo Diesel. I think we all knew this was coming though. Although they are not yet releasing the power and torque figures yet you can bet they are aiming to beat Ram's 1000 ft/lb claim. Stay tuned.....

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/new-2020-ford-super-duty-gets-more-diesel-power-and-a-new-7-3l-gas-v8-video/

Gegrad
02-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Chevy just released that their new V8 gas engine in the 2020 Silverado HDs is going to be a 6.6L making 401 HP and 464 lb-ft torque.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/02/2020-chevrolet-silverado-hd-longer-taller-grille-ier-and-theres-a-new-v8-too/

ADQ K9
02-06-2019, 05:13 PM
I think we all benefit from the wars that the big three are having with the pickups.

JRTJH
02-06-2019, 05:59 PM
I'd like to "benefit from the wars among the big three" by them focusing on a "reasonably tuned diesel" capable of towing a 15,000 trailer, even if it means downshifting to 4th (1:1 ratio) while maintaining 65MPH up a 4% grade and getting 20MPG while towing. I honestly don't need 500HP/1100 torque and I'd much rather they start focusing on improving efficiency than climbing the ladder to "most powerful".....

IMHO (for what it's worth) the only options in the diesel arena for "HD trucks" are way overpowered for the average user and it's more about "boasting the biggest" than about producing a truck we really need and can more efficiently use...

sourdough
02-06-2019, 07:20 PM
^^^^That is the deal for us! I don't want to, nor will I, pay 10k to get 1000 lbs of torque when I would be happy with 6-700 (maybe 550). The truck wars have really given all of us some "super" pickups, but, at the loss of giving us what we need IMO. I'll keep crossing my fingers.....

Frank G
02-07-2019, 03:19 AM
Yesterday I listened to a short UT clip on the new ford gas engine by a Ford engineer. The development of the new gas engine and new 10 speed transmission is all about fuel efficiency and EPA compliance with the ability to tow heavy loads. The RV customer is only one segment, the contractor is another. Todays contractor is hauling heaver loads, like a mini excavators and man lifts to job sites. Farm use is the same, larger and heavier loads. Be thankful we have three companies competing for the same market space. We all benefit.

Badbart56
02-07-2019, 04:03 PM
I am curious to see what kind of numbers come from the 7.3 gas engine. Probably around 500 ft/lbs or better I'm guessing and likely over 400 hp.

The old 460's did a fair job back in the day, as did the 454's, but that was pre-diesel revolution mostly and the gas mileage was under 12 mpg if you were running empty. Even those big cublc inch motors had to rev high to hit their sweet spot. And then as emissions choked them down we were lucky to get 230 hp out of them.

I'm very pleased with the 10-13 mpg I get towing my toy hauler with my 6.7 F350, especially considering How effortless it pulls it. I was impressed with the old 7.3 turbo diesel back in the day, but there's really no comparison. But if they can squeeze another mpg or two out of it, that would be ok too!

mtofell
02-08-2019, 04:00 PM
I'd like to "benefit from the wars among the big three" by them focusing on a "reasonably tuned diesel" capable of towing a 15,000 trailer, even if it means downshifting to 4th (1:1 ratio) while maintaining 65MPH up a 4% grade and getting 20MPG while towing. I honestly don't need 500HP/1100 torque and I'd much rather they start focusing on improving efficiency than climbing the ladder to "most powerful".....

IMHO (for what it's worth) the only options in the diesel arena for "HD trucks" are way overpowered for the average user and it's more about "boasting the biggest" than about producing a truck we really need and can more efficiently use...

I definitely hear you but I think with the new gas offerings, manufacturers are telling you to go that route for medium sized loads. 15K is pushing it for now but could be doable with some of these new offerings. I'm hauling 11K with the Ram 6.4 Hemi (and a REALLY poorly designed tranny) and it gets the job done. That engine is 410hp/430torque. If some of these new gas offerings get up to mid 450s HP and over 500 torque with a really good tranny I could see 15K pounds not being a problem. Payload on gassers is also appealing due to the lighter weight of the engine.

MattE303
02-08-2019, 04:22 PM
I definitely hear you but I think with the new gas offerings, manufacturers are telling you to go that route for medium sized loads. 15K is pushing it for now but could be doable with some of these new offerings. I'm hauling 11K with the Ram 6.4 Hemi (and a REALLY poorly designed tranny) and it gets the job done. That engine is 410hp/430torque. If some of these new gas offerings get up to mid 450s HP and over 500 torque with a really good tranny I could see 15K pounds not being a problem. Payload on gassers is also appealing due to the lighter weight of the engine.

you've got some good points. I love our '02 Powerstroke, but with diesel consistently $0.60 to $0.80/gallon higher than regular, I'd be open to the idea of a gasser for our next TV if it could pull the toyhauler comfortably.

whcarr
02-09-2019, 07:36 AM
7.4 gassed can't wait to see the specs. Currently running a 6.2 and am reasonably happy. But am near the axle weights, and right at the gov.

Don_T
02-09-2019, 07:40 AM

I absolutely agree with this. I tow a 15k 5th wheel. I have a Ram 3500 with the 6.4. It pulls the camper ok until we get into mountains. I hoped it would do better. I need to get the diesel powered truck so I have a new Ram 3500 on order. I don’t need the huge increase in power the new trucks have but I am not willing to buy someone else’s potential problems so I am getting something that is overkill. If I could get lower power and better mileage in a 3500 I would get it.

busterbrown
02-09-2019, 08:15 AM
I tow a 15k 5th wheel. I have a Ram 3500 with the 6.4. It pulls the camper ok until we get into mountains. I hoped it would do better.

The new 8 speed ZF transmission may help a bit with hilly terrain and frequent changes in elevation. I am really looking forward to some real world testing from the TFL truck channel.

GM's new 6.6L has a better torque curve it seems. Should be an interesting summer of testing on the Ike gauntlet. Also, Ford's 7.3L will be mated to a new 10 speed tranny. This will be a significant powertrain change over the current 6.2L.

As the gasser wars heat up and performance indicators show more capable towing specs, what percentage of the diesel market segment will be attracted these gasoline motors?

wiredgeorge
02-09-2019, 09:53 AM
The fellas on the Ford truck forum are in a dither over a gasser called a 7.3. The 7.3 diesel is kind of iconic and not to be made sport of.

Laredo Tugger
02-09-2019, 11:39 AM
I recently went out of the country for a trip. I had a chance to talk to a gentleman and his wife from Austria. He asked me about flying to the U.S. and renting a motor home. While we were on the subject he told about his "Ah-V" in Austria, a 7 meter (approx 23 foot) motor home with I think he said a 2.7L 4 cylinder gas motor. Gasoline prices calculated out to be around $5.87 a gallon. He added that roads in the European regions are narrow and tight as well as campsite locations.
Point is, as we reach for the stars here for horsepower and torque, it was interesting to say the least, to here perspective from "the other side of the pond". Our appetite for bigger and more powerful continues and obviously wont stop. Just thankful I guess that we have the roads and ability to travel the way we do with the rigs we have.
As for the 7.3 L? Guess that makes my point.
RMc

JRTJH
02-09-2019, 12:07 PM
I recently went out of the country for a trip. I had a chance to talk to a gentleman and his wife from Austria. He asked me about flying to the U.S. and renting a motor home. While we were on the subject he told about his "Ah-V" in Austria, a 7 meter (approx 23 foot) motor home with I think he said a 2.7L 4 cylinder gas motor. Gasoline prices calculated out to be around $5.87 a gallon. He added that roads in the European regions are narrow and tight as well as campsite locations.
Point is, as we reach for the stars here for horsepower and torque, it was interesting to say the least, to here perspective from "the other side of the pond". Our appetite for bigger and more powerful continues and obviously wont stop. Just thankful I guess that we have the roads and ability to travel the way we do with the rigs we have.
RMc

When we lived in Europe we camped with a Coleman tent (3 U shaped poles and 9 stakes) in campgrounds throughout Europe. From vineyards in Italy to Moors in Holland it was all an adventure we'll never forget. While in Spain we met a Dutch family, 6 children, mom and dad. They towed a small popup camper with a 1.9L diesel Peugeot station wagon. We had 1 child, a small tent and a bit of camping equipment in a 1973 Gran Torino wagon. Needless to say, we used more "fuel per mile" than they did on the entire trip LOL

When they finished "unfolding that popup palace, it covered most of the campsite and had, if I remember correctly 5 rooms and windows that matched or were better than anything in the "Modern Designs" magazine....

The European idea of RV travel is so very different from our expectations.

66joej
02-09-2019, 12:44 PM
This was true in the 60s. I guess it's going full cycle.

waltheraustin
02-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Chevy just released that their new V8 gas engine in the 2020 Silverado HDs is going to be a 6.6L making 401 HP and 464 lb-ft torque.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/02/2020-chevrolet-silverado-hd-longer-taller-grille-ier-and-theres-a-new-v8-too/I guess they will finally compete with the ecoboost. The ecoboost will make the power in lower rpms than this will.

mtofell
02-11-2019, 05:49 PM
RMc

Yep... we're big, fat, rich Americans and the rest of the world hates us :):)

Having lived here my whole life and traveled minimally abroad, I am also interested to learn how others do it in other areas. We are totally lucky/spoiled here with the affordability of fuel and the offerings of our RVs. Hauling my 11,000# trailer up into the woods only to live like I do at home is kind of ridiculous.

waltheraustin
02-11-2019, 06:08 PM

Having lived here my whole life and traveled minimally abroad, I am also interested to learn how others do it in other areas. We are totally lucky/spoiled here with the affordability of fuel and the offerings of our RVs. Hauling my 11,000# trailer up into the woods only to live like I do at home is kind of ridiculous.Haha, yup

We're having to camp with the kids while the wife and small one stays in the camper for trail life (boy scouts alternative) and the thought of staying in a tent does not sound like a good time at all. So I'll be hauling, setting up and breaking down including hauling it back but I have to stay in a damn tent. Man...

Laredo Tugger
02-11-2019, 07:04 PM
"boy scouts alternative" ???
I would ask for details but then again maybe I'm better off not knowing.
RMc

sourdough
02-11-2019, 07:15 PM

Having lived here my whole life and traveled minimally abroad, I am also interested to learn how others do it in other areas. We are totally lucky/spoiled here with the affordability of fuel and the offerings of our RVs. Hauling my 11,000# trailer up into the woods only to live like I do at home is kind of ridiculous.

The rest of the world hates us because we have been so much more successful than their "models of living" - some centuries older than us, simply due to our forefathers foresight and vision . I have no interest in knowing how they do it "over there" since their lifestyles can't begin to compare to ours....now, comparison within our own USA/Canada IS interesting. We are "lucky/spoiled" simply due to those before us. To haul the 11k trailer into the woods, and live like you do at home, is ridiculous. The ability to do it is not.

notanlines
02-12-2019, 03:29 AM
We have travelled extensively in this world and found that there a number of other countries that have a standard of living close to or equal to the US/Canada. Topping the list would be Australia where gas prices are in the $4.30 per gallon/US dollar.
We have travelled in every Canadian province except Nunavut and have found that Canada is just like being in the US but they haven't discovered our Imperial system of weights and measures. :hide: We love travelling in all of Canada except Quebec. Maybe if I spoke French the reception would be better. But I digress....
And the next time we're in Australia I need to have a talk with Aussies about which side of the road they drive on.

sourdough
02-12-2019, 08:38 AM
We have travelled extensively in this world and found that there a number of other countries that have a standard of living close to or equal to the US/Canada. Topping the list would be Australia where gas prices are in the $4.30 per gallon/US dollar.
We have travelled in every Canadian province except Nunavut and have found that Canada is just like being in the US but they haven't discovered our Imperial system of weights and measures. :hide: We love travelling in all of Canada except Quebec. Maybe if I spoke French the reception would be better. But I digress....
And the next time we're in Australia I need to have a talk with Aussies about which side of the road they drive on.

Yes, I forgot Australia. I've never been there but met quite a few folks from there and liked every single one.....and that's really unusual for me.:D It is on our bucket list to visit. My original post wasn't to put any particular place down, just an observation on how well we have it and why I suppose.

As far as Quebec, I've not been there either and had no desire to go due to the various stories I've heard. Oddly, the only folks we see by far in this campground are from Quebec, and they are all very nice folks. Some are hard to understand but are still friendly. There is one couple we visit with every day. I think those that are comfortable with the U.S. are the ones that come down and the rest don't?

waltheraustin
02-12-2019, 05:54 PM
"boy scouts alternative" ???

I would ask for details but then again maybe I'm better off not knowing.

RMcBoy scouts have had some decisions in the past few years that this other group formed. It's a church based version of boy scouts

Laredo Tugger
02-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a good program for the kids.
When you use the word alternative these days your not sure what your'e going to get.
Thanks
RMc

waltheraustin
02-12-2019, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a good program for the kids.
When you use the word alternative these days your not sure what your'e going to get.
Thanks
RMcYeah, I thought about that after I reread it.

Badbart56
02-13-2019, 03:52 PM
A little more information. Sounds good.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/why-ford-made-7-3-211700404.html

LewisB
02-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Back to power vs fuel efficiency...

Our current 2017 F350 DRW 4x4 lists 440 HP & 960 #pounds of torque...yet it is more fuel efficient than either of our prior F450 and F250 tow vehicles. I think the new vehicles can satisfy EITHER the need for power or fuel efficiency. It all depends on how heavy the right foot of the operator behind the wheel!

We are towing over 27,000 GCWR; if I keep the speed at 65 mph or less, we average a tad over 10 mpg on a long trip. I think that is spectacular based on prior tow vehicles. And it would be even better if I were willing to drop down to 55 mph and not race that guy in a Dodge to the top of the next hill:lol:

The point is, the new tow vehicles give you some choice - you get to decide if you want to burn up the road (and a lot of fuel) or relax and spend extra time to cut your fuel costs. That's an option for us all that we commonly didn't have a few years (and vehicles) ago.

ozark traveler
02-14-2019, 12:11 PM
I hope this isn't to far off subject. I understand that along with the new 7.3 gas engine and 10 speed tranny, there is a new RV chassis scheduled to replace the F53 chassis. Does anyone have any info on the new chassis? (Maybe to be released sometime this spring?)

Badbart56
02-14-2019, 01:25 PM
I have no intention of giving up my diesel but I am very interested in seeing what numbers this engine brings. With the old school push rod design and something on the order of 444 cubic inches I want to see how many miles per gallon this monster can get, not to mention the torque! Thinking back when I had my 97 F350 with the 7.3 and a friend had the same truck with the 460, I would get 10-13 mpg towing my fifth wheel while he would get 6-8 mpg towing a lighter bumper pull RV. How much can they improve the mileage on such a beast. We'll stay tuned.....