PDA

View Full Version : New addon purchase

waltheraustin
02-06-2019, 11:15 AM
So I'm trying to fix the wind and semi push pull on my 2017 f150. I've got an equilizer 4pt and timbrens so far which both helped but could be better.

I'm thinking of either new shocks, rear sway bar or new tires (currently have p rated tires). Which of these 3 would you do first? I could do rear shocks and rear sway at the same time or tires. Which would help my situation do you think?

Appreciate it!

66joej
02-06-2019, 11:21 AM
So I'm trying to fix the wind and semi push pull on my 2017 f150. I've got an equilizer 4pt and timbrens so far which both helped but could be better.

I'm thinking of either new shocks, rear sway bar or new tires (currently have p rated tires). Which of these 3 would you do first? I could do rear shocks and rear sway at the same time or tires. Which would help my situation do you think?

Appreciate it!

Good E rated tires really helped the F150 we had.

JRTJH
02-06-2019, 11:37 AM
ANY recommendation on how to improve sway/controllability of a rig MUST consider not only the vehicle and hitch but also the trailer. There are some "rigs" that simply will NEVER be safe and controllable based on the physical limitations. You don't list what you're towing and there's "precious little information" about how your F150 is currently equipped.

In this situation, without knowing if you're towing a 18' single axle camping trailer or a 35' double axle toyhauler, it's really difficult to provide any relevant, meaningful recommendations.

waltheraustin
02-06-2019, 11:41 AM
ANY recommendation on how to improve sway/controllability of a rig MUST consider not only the vehicle and hitch but also the trailer. There are some "rigs" that simply will NEVER be safe and controllable based on the physical limitations. You don't list what you're towing and there's "precious little information" about how your F150 is currently equipped.

In this situation, without knowing if you're towing a 18' single axle camping trailer or a 35' double axle toyhauler, it's really difficult to provide any relevant, meaningful recommendations.It is a keystone hideout that is 29 or 30 feet. Dry weight is 6400lbs and I have a 2017 3.5 ecoboost with 2048 payload.

waltheraustin
02-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Good E rated tires really helped the F150 we had.I was thinking the same but wanted to see what others thought. Thank you

66joej
02-06-2019, 12:03 PM
It is a keystone hideout that is 29 or 30 feet. Dry weight is 6400lbs and I have a 2017 3.5 ecoboost with 2048 payload.

I find it interesting that Ford put the P rated tires on trucks with higher payloads. My 2015 had a 2040# payload with the car tires.

sourdough
02-06-2019, 01:07 PM
6400 dry. What's gvw? 8000-8500? If the gvw is say 8500, you're looking at a tongue weight that would probably be over 1100 lbs. I think the first thing you do is get rid of the P tires and put LTs on there. The P tires let so much "squash" and "wiggle" go on with that kind of weight on them (and the pull/push of the trailer) that I doubt you will ever get it to act right until they're gone. The LTs are built heavier with stiffer sidewalls and carry more air pressure to help stabilize the load. When you pull those P tires off compare weights with a good LT and I think you'll see/feel the difference. I did it on my 1500s and there was a marked improvement. You will hit a point in weight with a 1/2 ton that you can do all the things you mentioned and it won't be fixed. I think in your case it is probably doable but may take the tires, shocks, either timbrens or air bags AND the heavier sway bar. The only way to know is to start chipping away at them one at a time - tires first IMO.

KimNTerry
02-06-2019, 03:39 PM
the 2018 HDPP F150 come with C rated LT tires. IMO for your stated payload/GVWR, anything higher than a c rated is added weight and expense. I have the C rated on mine and it tows great

Wyldfire
02-06-2019, 07:14 PM

Appreciate it!

I fixed mine real quick. Traded it for a F350. No wiggle even if I don't use an equalizer hitch
So nice to pull even wife hooks it up an drives it while I sleep.

linux3
02-07-2019, 05:15 AM
It is a keystone hideout that is 29 or 30 feet. Dry weight is 6400lbs and I have a 2017 3.5 ecoboost with 2048 payload.
Do you have the Max Tow package and what's the rear end gear ratio?

IMHO much too often helpful folks on this forum try to push trucks that are way over what is really needed.
That being said, even with the max tow package which in theory is rated for your load I think you are asking too much of a 1/2 ton truck.
That's a mighty long trailer, and heavy, for your suspension. If you plan short trips add tires and suspension bits and live with it.
If you plan long explorations I'd go with a bigger truck.

It's all about one uping the other truck manufacturers but just because they say you can doesn't mean you should.

waltheraustin
02-07-2019, 06:51 AM
I was wondering when a half ton hater would show up.

No doubt a bigger truck would help but I've driving this thing on some big trips and it does fine. I'm just wanting to firm it up a little more which would be what any 3/4 ton driver would also want to do, no?

Carrottop
02-07-2019, 07:07 AM
I have a 09 F-150 older version but similar sized trailer with Timbrens installed as well as a 4pt Equalizer hitch. I have LT tires and have no issues when being passed by a semi or in strong winds which is most of the time in Manitoba. Start with the tires and ensure your hitch is setup properly. You should be fine.

waltheraustin
02-07-2019, 09:44 AM
I have a 09 F-150 older version but similar sized trailer with Timbrens installed as well as a 4pt Equalizer hitch. I have LT tires and have no issues when being passed by a semi or in strong winds which is most of the time in Manitoba. Start with the tires and ensure your hitch is setup properly. You should be fine.Awesome! Good to know!

itat
02-14-2019, 10:58 AM
When I had my '09 F-150 towing a 5200# hybrid TT, I switched to LT tires and added another leaf spring on both sides in the rear. It definitely helped take the bounce out of it.

You're using the Equalizer 4 pt. Is it a 10K or 12K hitch?

If you are within your GVWR and still have some sway issue, the only 2 solutions would be a Hensley/ProPride hitch or a bigger truck.

waltheraustin
02-14-2019, 11:29 AM
When I had my '09 F-150 towing a 5200# hybrid TT, I switched to LT tires and added another leaf spring on both sides in the rear. It definitely helped take the bounce out of it.

You're using the Equalizer 4 pt. Is it a 10K or 12K hitch?

If you are within your GVWR and still have some sway issue, the only 2 solutions would be a Hensley/ProPride hitch or a bigger truck.Picked up some LT tires and have some bilsteins on the way. The past week we've had some high winds but the tires are keeping me on the straight with no effect.

We leave tomorrow for a weekend trip so I'll get to at least test the tires. I'll have the shocks next week so those will be next.

I have the eq 4 pt 1200 I believe. Had the 1000 but upgraded when the new trailer came. I'm sure there is improvement that can be made there but I should be set I think. Just have to keep the ecoboost cool which can be a struggle. Those turbos heat up quickly!

rhagfo
02-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Picked up some LT tires and have some bilsteins on the way. The past week we've had some high winds but the tires are keeping me on the straight with no effect.

We leave tomorrow for a weekend trip so I'll get to at least test the tires. I'll have the shocks next week so those will be next.

I have the eq 4 pt 1200 I believe. Had the 1000 but upgraded when the new trailer came. I'm sure there is improvement that can be made there but I should be set I think. Just have to keep the ecoboost cool which can be a struggle. Those turbos heat up quickly!

I think the biggest weak point in an F150 is the P rated tires. Personally I believe this next trip will be much better.

Carrottop
02-14-2019, 01:17 PM
I wonder if it is the new generation that they are putting P rated tires on or is it option based. My 09 came from the factory with LT tires.

Hamlej
02-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Fought this battle with a Jayco 33ft trailer behind our F250. Traded the Jayco for a 3820FK fifth wheel and now it’s one hand on the wheel regardless of the wind. Never again will I have a bumper tow.

sourdough
02-14-2019, 01:23 PM
I wonder if it is the new generation that they are putting P rated tires on or is it option based. My 09 came from the factory with LT tires.

I'm not sure what drives the type of tire on the pickup if not designated with some sort of elevated towing package. Every 1/2 ton I've owned (as far back as I can remember - say....2000) has had P rated tires or their equivalent. On some I upgraded, on others I didn't depending on what the truck was used for. I would think and manufacturer that called a vehicle a "truck" would put LT tires on it but that's JMO and obviously doesn't carry much weight with them.:)

BadmanRick
02-14-2019, 01:31 PM
The first thing you should do is get rid of the P rated passenger car tires. Go to a good light truck tire. Had a E150 van with P rated tires swayed all Over the place. Put on Michelin LT tires NO MORE SWAY PERIOD. A GOOD SWAY BAY MAY HELP but replace the shocks first.

waltheraustin
02-16-2019, 08:55 AM
It was much better! The winds were really high though so it was still a little hairy at times due to 16-20 mph winds. I've got some adjusting to do but there was a big improvement. The shocks will help in a few weeks with the rougher ride from the E rated tires.

I can feel the wind on the truck but I don't have to compensate with the steering wheel. One semi passed and was really close to hitting us but that was the one time I puckered

sourdough
02-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Great! I'm glad the tire upgrade improved things. Hopefully your next mod will make it even better.

hornet28
02-17-2019, 06:37 AM
I was wondering when a half ton hater would show up.

No doubt a bigger truck would help but I've driving this thing on some big trips and it does fine. I'm just wanting to firm it up a little more which would be what any 3/4 ton driver would also want to do, no?

You don't have to hate 1/2 tons just understand that 1/2 tons are not capable of much. You beef it up and your spending money hoping to get where you would be with a stock 3/4 ton. So in the end what have you gained? It seems the younger generation wants their trucks to ride like Cadillac so they buy 1/2 tons and then want it to do the work of a much bigger truck which from the start is built to haul a heavy load without the extra money spent beefing it up

smoore0449
02-17-2019, 10:49 AM
As a truck driver, I have two suggestions. E rated tires are one. And, when you see a rig approaching, try to hug the solid white line on the right when the rig is about to pass. Distance between the two vehicles minimizes the vacuum effect that you feel when a commercial vehicle passes you.

Bullet1928
02-17-2019, 11:16 AM
This is a different question than the original but does have to do with tow vehicle capabilities. I have a 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 and am planning to upgrade to a one ton next year. Other than picking a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, al.l are in the mix, what is everyone's opinion about 2 wheel vs 4 wheel drive? I tow a Cougar 311 RES

smoore0449
02-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Depends if you travel into a snow belt or not.

sourdough
02-17-2019, 11:30 AM
This is a different question than the original but does have to do with tow vehicle capabilities. I have a 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 and am planning to upgrade to a one ton next year. Other than picking a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, al.l are in the mix, what is everyone's opinion about 2 wheel vs 4 wheel drive? I tow a Cougar 311 RES

I buy nothing but 4x4s simply because you don't know when you may need the capability. Of course, that could be never. On the other hand it has come in handy in multiple situations when I hadn't planned on it. Will you ever camp in unimproved campsites? What about on a grade? Get caught in sleet or snow? You just never know and I've found that it's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Watched a guy with about a 30' trailer camped next to me in a dirt space, after 2 days of rain, try to leave and just sink his 4x2. A 4x4 would have got him out....and did.

FlyingAroundRV
02-17-2019, 11:41 AM
At the risk of hijacking a thread ...
We bought a 2WD truck in preference to 4WD because;
Less is more. Fewer things to wear out and go wrong. Less weight in the TV means more payload capacity. Finally, 2WDs are cheaper than 4WDs and lower to the ground so easier to get in and out of. This last bit is important for the DW who is vertically challenged. I ran a mile from any truck that had a "lift kit" or other non-factory mods.
AND, We would NEVER take our TT off road. It's not designed nor built for it, so we don't need the offroad truck.
2WD truck for us "Simplicate and add lightness."

DocP
02-17-2019, 01:39 PM
At the risk of hijacking a thread ...
We bought a 2WD truck in preference to 4WD because;
Less is more. Fewer things to wear out and go wrong. Less weight in the TV means more payload capacity. Finally, 2WDs are cheaper than 4WDs and lower to the ground so easier to get in and out of. This last bit is important for the DW who is vertically challenged. I ran a mile from any truck that had a "lift kit" or other non-factory mods.
AND, We would NEVER take our TT off road. It's not designed nor built for it, so we don't need the offroad truck.
2WD truck for us "Simplicate and add lightness."

My Silverado 2500 HD is 4WD and high off the ground. When I brought it home to show my wife, her first comment was "you know, my mother will never be able to ride with us because she won't be able to climb up into it." That convinced me that I made the right call! :)

KCSA75
02-17-2019, 02:35 PM
My Silverado 2500 HD is 4WD and high off the ground. When I brought it home to show my wife, her first comment was "you know, my mother will never be able to ride with us because she won't be able to climb up into it." That convinced me that I made the right call! :)

Hmmmm. My MIL has a hard time getting in my 2WD F-150. If I get an F-250... :lol:

Northofu1
02-17-2019, 03:38 PM

:lol::lol::bow:

Fishsizzle
02-18-2019, 08:36 PM
We had a bad TT. I went E rated tires on truck (2015 F150). Up grades go Maxxis tires on the trailer. Bilstiens on the truck, Big Helllwig sway bar on truck, Firestone bags, . Had fastway 4 point hitch. Tried every which way with the hitch, moved cargo etc. Thing was still all over the place.

Ended up with a 2010 F350, didn’t help one bit. Got an 2017 F250 nada.

Took it in Bone stock empty to trade in 5ver, almost went off the road taking it in. Trailer was just bad. Built bad. Was the Christine of TT.

Biggest help of all was the sway bar. It really made the truck hug the road. I’ll put a big bar on all my trucks now.

waltheraustin
02-19-2019, 09:02 AM
We had a bad TT. I went E rated tires on truck (2015 F150). Up grades go Maxxis tires on the trailer. Bilstiens on the truck, Big Helllwig sway bar on truck, Firestone bags, . Had fastway 4 point hitch. Tried every which way with the hitch, moved cargo etc. Thing was still all over the place.

Ended up with a 2010 F350, didn’t help one bit. Got an 2017 F250 nada.

Took it in Bone stock empty to trade in 5ver, almost went off the road taking it in. Trailer was just bad. Built bad. Was the Christine of TT.

Biggest help of all was the sway bar. It really made the truck hug the road. I’ll put a big bar on all my trucks now.That does sound possessed!

The truck did really well even with high winds but new tires on the TT will hopefully help as well.

New shocks will be here this week so I'm expecting even better on the next go round

Retired Copper
02-20-2019, 04:19 AM
All that you done is what I would have done and did do up to a point. IMO you will have a sweet spot somewhere with the set up and with each addon you will increase that sweet spot but there will be a point where you have done all you can do. It doesn`t matter what the tv is IMO. There will be a point that the outside forces just make the tv squirrelly. Speed and the outside forces are what I getting at. On a clear no windy day with everything dialed in you tt may be good and stable at xx mphs. When I was pulling the same size trailer at about the same weights 58 to 60 was the sweet spot with the F150. Semi`s and wind very little effect. Maybe 4 out of 10 passing semi`s would get me a push. At 63mph it was felt moreand a little uncomfortable. I have the same with the 250 the sweet spot is all the way up to about 73 mph before I begin to feel the same effects as the 150. 68 is a happy place no push no bump just smooth. Wind up to 10 to 20 not felt. Weather will effect this 68 and I ever aware of changes conditions.

Bullet1928
06-30-2022, 12:00 PM
I have a Cougar 311RES fifth wheel. I was running Endurance tires ( E rated tires- 80 psig max ) but due to circumstances I had to put G rated tires on the trailer. ( 110 psig max ) The max trailer weight is 12,400 lbs. I am wondering what pressure I should run the tires on this higher rated tire. I have tried to find a tire load rating table I can understand with little luck. The tire dealer said to run 90 lbs and I should be good. Any help would be apppreciated.

notanlines
06-30-2022, 12:49 PM
Very first thing is to look on the back of your wheels and see if they are rated for G tires. If they are then run at the maximum listed on the sidewall of the tire. You'll get a number of recommendation from having each tire footprint weighed and then allow 15% additional required pressure.....blah, blah, blah, to running the maximum on the placard on the driver's side of the RV. That is not the way to go in my opinion.

flybouy
06-30-2022, 02:19 PM
I have a Cougar 311RES fifth wheel. I was running Endurance tires ( E rated tires- 80 psig max ) but due to circumstances I had to put G rated tires on the trailer. ( 110 psig max ) The max trailer weight is 12,400 lbs. I am wondering what pressure I should run the tires on this higher rated tire. I have tried to find a tire load rating table I can understand with little luck. The tire dealer said to run 90 lbs and I should be good. Any help would be apppreciated.

Increasing tire load capacity (going from an E to a G) and not inflating to the max sidewall psi is a waste of money IMO. It's the air pressure that supports the weight not the tire sidewalls.