PDA

View Full Version : Outback Sofa/Air Bed Replacement

RDB
01-31-2019, 08:47 AM
After 7 years the sofa/air mattress sofa bed is uncomfortable and I am considering replacing it in our 2012 Outback 301BQ. At times we need the extra bed and cannot consider replacing with theater seating. I have been looking at Thomas Payne and RecPro tri-fold sofa beds but have no knowledge regarding their quality. Has anyone replaced their sofa bed with another sofa bed? Ease of removal & installation? Any experience with the sofa beds from these vendors or a recommendation of another vendor? Thank you in advance for your comments.

ajk170
01-31-2019, 12:22 PM
RDB- I have no experience with the REC Pro but I pulled out our tri-fold sofa from our 316RL and replaced with a zero-clearance loveseat recliner. Although that’s not what you want I can say removing the OEM trifold was “easy”. The back 1/3 that folds down is on a piano hinge and pulls right off. The last two parts are pretty heavy and I think we just man-handled it out rather carefully so we don’t tear up anything. We bought our replacement from Amazon and since the back comes off- getting it in was easy-ish. Hard part was lifting it up to bend into the door and around the cabinet that’s right in front of the door. Overall, I would say it was a great and easy upgrade. Don’t worry too much about taking the OEM apart- they come apart.