PDA

View Full Version : Mattress Disposal

Cattail
01-29-2019, 10:54 AM
I just upgraded the mattress in our new (11/18) Keystone Bullet. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the old (essentially new) mattress. The charities and thrift shops I've approached so far don't want it. Any ideas before I head to the dump?

KCSA75
01-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Craigslist

JRTJH
01-29-2019, 12:33 PM
SOME (as you found out, not all) charities will accept used mattresses. Habitat for Humanities will accept them at our local store. If CL doesn't work out and you have a "Habitat re-store" in your area, you might give them a call.

Gegrad
01-29-2019, 12:42 PM
Sell it on Craigslist or FB marketplace. When I upgraded ours, I kept it in an upstairs bedroom for several years where people occasionally slept on it. Fast forward to last summer, we needed the room for our growing family. I sold a 7 year old thin RV queen (not residential queen size) for $25 to a guy who had just bought a popup and needed a serious upgrade. What was a junker to me was a serious upgrade to a guy with a popup.

It did take a while to sell (I had it listed over a month), but got $25 for a thin little mattress. You should easily be able to sell a new one.
Good luck.

sourdough
01-29-2019, 01:38 PM
I just upgraded the mattress in our new (11/18) Keystone Bullet. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the old (essentially new) mattress. The charities and thrift shops I've approached so far don't want it. Any ideas before I head to the dump?

As you are finding, many "thrift/2nd hand" stores won't take mattresses. I give everything I upgrade or don't like away to anyone that can/will use them. I don't have the patience to try to "sell" anything and go through all that hassle. Anything that I can't give away in a short period of time hits the dump. In the end, I feel better helping someone out than I would getting a few dollars. There may be someone like the person in the previous post that would feel your mattress was an upgrade to what they currently have.

SummitPond
01-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Some of the homeless shelters will accept mattresses. They either use them in their facilities or use them to help set up a client family with some household goods.

Another possibility is a church organization that does something similar.

Frank G
01-29-2019, 05:24 PM
Used RV mattresses have little or no value, yes they are hard to get rid of. Check your local county disposal facilities. If you have ever been witness to a bedbug infestation you are extremely cautious what comes into your dwelling.

wbdvt
01-30-2019, 08:36 AM
I managed to get rid of mine on Craigs List. Someone wanted it to upgrade a mattress in his camper. I would try CL before going to the dump.

gkainz
01-30-2019, 09:27 AM
When we bought our 5er, the new mattress that came with it was so miserably uncomfortable that I wouldn't have wished it on anyone. I cut the material cover and meager padding off and threw that in the trash, cut up the springs and wires and included it in my scrap metal barrel and hauled it away. Rotated a mattress from the house to the 5er and replaced with a new one.