PDA

View Full Version : Best bed liner

notanlines
01-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Of all the trucks we have owned, company and personal, none have ever had a spray on bed liner. Who might have an opinion concerning said liners and, of course, which brand would be the best.
No, I have no wish to set this up and do it myself.

66joej
01-27-2019, 03:52 PM
Of all the trucks we have owned, company and personal, none have ever had a spray on bed liner. Who might have an opinion concerning said liners and, of course, which brand would be the best.
No, I have no wish to set this up and do it myself.

Jim as far as brand the factory installed spray in liner has been the best for me (trouble is this involves buying a new truck). But I'm sure the aftermarket ones such as Rhino which has good reviews are good. SIL had a body shop and used to instal these. Years ago I had Ziebart do one for me. Lasted great for the time I had the truck (3 years). JMO

JRTJH
01-27-2019, 04:07 PM
LineX or Rhino are the two "most common" liners. Not that you'll have any problems (at least hopefully you won't) but if you should, getting warranty service on those two brands would probably be easier since they seem to have dealers in most areas.

If you're looking for a custom color, LineX (I believe) is the only one that can custom match colors. Rhinoliner, last I knew, only had the flat black color with no options in spray on bed liners, but they do have some solar/UV spray products. Some of them may do "double duty", but I haven't done any research on them since they don't have a dealer in this area.

sourdough
01-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Hey Jim,

Of course for decades we didn't have a liner of any type and doubt they existed. The 1st liners I used were the plastic liners made for a specific truck. Looked pretty spiffy but slick and when removed you found the bed looked as if it had never had a liner in it. My last 3 trucks have had spray in bed liners. 2 came from the factory with it and the 3rd (this one) was a dealer add but I don't know which spray on product they used. The ones that came from the factory were very strong and didn't chip and seemed thicker. The one on this truck, the aftermarket spray on, seems thinner and it does have a small chip in it in one location. How it got there I don't know, but I do know the factory spray ons did not do that. I use a rubber bed mat made for the truck in the bottom to prevent marring of any furniture or material I place in the bed. I wouldn't have another pickup without it. Here is a link (which you've probably seen) that gives a little info on the liners and might be helpful. Wishing you luck in choosing one that works for you;
https://tundraheadquarters.com/blog/spray-in-review-line-x-bed-liner-vs-rhino-bed-liner/

captcolour
01-27-2019, 04:44 PM
I've had Line-X in three trucks and highly recommend them. They take outpall the bolts, then spray on the liner, then put things back. Allows you to undo things easily if needed.

Northofu1
01-27-2019, 05:12 PM
I like the rhino liner in my truck bed, I also had a problem with my paint peeling on my running boards, had them rhino line them. they look great and take a beating. The bed and the boards clean up nicely.

rhagfo
01-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Well our 2001 Ram bought used in 2010 with 234,000 miles had spray in liner, and still has, still in great shape.

travelin texans
01-27-2019, 07:49 PM
100% Line X. Has more hardner than Rhino, can be color matched to your truck & lifetime warranty.

rhagfo
01-27-2019, 08:21 PM
100% Line X. Has more hardner than Rhino, can be color matched to your truck & lifetime warranty.

The color match would be nice, except WHITE! :whistling:

busterbrown
01-27-2019, 10:02 PM
Jim, Line-X hands down. I'm in the process of removing my plastic piece of "you know what" and having my local Line-X shop apply their product. Just need the weather to cooperate as my truck is clean and polished and stored in my garage awaiting her big trip come March.

When I was at the Line-X shop last week, there was a landscaping owner sitting there waiting for his new F250 to be completed. We got to chatting. Told me he had at least 6 trucks now sprayed by Line-X over 10 years without ever one coming back for a warranty concern. I then went into the shop to look at his premium/platinum application. I was impressed. He further told me that he elects not to to have the dealer or factory do it. Says the product and technique by Line-X is so much better. I was detailed oriented at the Detroit Auto Show 1 week later and I can honestly say I agree with that small business owner.

Now, if the weather was on my side...

travelin texans
01-28-2019, 08:01 AM
You couldn't pay me to use one if the plastic liners. We had a few in company trucks, oil/gas industry, that were too slippery to stand on if slightly wet & created static electricity by stuff sliding around, not something you want around flammable products. We were told to remove them from all vehicles after one employee slipped & broke an arm & several ribs & another ignited some gasoline samples.

notanlines
01-28-2019, 08:20 AM
At this point I am leaning towards Line-X of Lauderdale. He responded with quotes immediately without a lot of baloney involved and they certainly seem to have the experience. $800 for the new, long bed, black, and Platinum Line-X.
Thanks for all the recommendations so far.
Jim

JRTJH
01-28-2019, 08:53 AM
$800 sounds about right. I paid $675 in 2009 for the last truck I had done by LineX. When I sold it 4 years later in 2013 the bed still looked new. Granted, I don't use my trucks as "oil field transport" but do use them to haul "normal stuff" like dirt, gravel, firewood, etc. Just hose it out, it looks like new.

Jerry S
02-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Not sure how you can say hands down if you have never used Rhino. I have had Rhino spray ins in my last three Dodges Trucks and have never has so much as a scratch in them even hauling things like car engines and transmissions. When I get firewood I toss it in the bed, no problems. I guess if color matching is what you like then go for the LineX but Rhino is just as good. My Dodge dealers sends all their trucks out to the local Rhino shop for those that want that option. My oldest Dodge Ram is a 2005 and the Rhino still looks brand new. Do as you like but my opinion is that Rhino is just as good.

Jim, Line-X hands down. I'm in the process of removing my plastic piece of "you know what" and having my local Line-X shop apply their product. Just need the weather to cooperate as my truck is clean and polished and stored in my garage awaiting her big trip come March.

When I was at the Line-X shop last week, there was a landscaping owner sitting there waiting for his new F250 to be completed. We got to chatting. Told me he had at least 6 trucks now sprayed by Line-X over 10 years without ever one coming back for a warranty concern. I then went into the shop to look at his premium/platinum application. I was impressed. He further told me that he elects not to to have the dealer or factory do it. Says the product and technique by Line-X is so much better. I was detailed oriented at the Detroit Auto Show 1 week later and I can honestly say I agree with that small business owner.

Now, if the weather was on my side...

atkinsb3
02-03-2019, 08:29 AM
I had a Line-X put in my 2002 Tundra right after I bought it and wouldn't have another truck without the spray-in bedliner.
My 2017 Titan came with one from the factory which was one of the selling points to me.

pdaniel
02-03-2019, 08:33 AM
My current truck is the first with a spray-in liner-factory applied and I am satisfied with it. However, I did put a rubber mat on the floor of the bed to keep the liner from abrading items I put in the bed-jug of DEF, plastic totes, etc.

Peacemkr53
02-03-2019, 08:54 AM
I have a 2015 RAM 2500 w/6.7 TD that is my TV. I have used Ziebart as a rustproofing for decades with excellent results. They own the Rhino liner product. I bought the truck new and had the liner installed at the Ziebart shop. It is rock solid - if it chips they simply fix it.

GrumpyG
02-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Highly recommend Line-X. Last plastic liner I had rubbed the paint off the bed anywhere it touched.

tri-five
02-03-2019, 09:01 AM
My 2017 Silverado 3500 has the factory bedliner and hitch platform. It looks very nice, but is VERY slick. It is useless for cargo retention. Items in the bed slide more on the liner than a comparable painted surface. I have to use an additional mat in the current truck to keep items in place. My previous trucks had Linex and Rhino. Both are excellent products. In both of those cases, the dealership arranged installation locally before delivery. Prices are comparable with the factory option.

locomech
02-03-2019, 09:07 AM
I've had Line-X liners in my last three trucks and have had no problems with any of them. My current truck is a 2013 and I paid around $800 to have it done. I never bothered to look into the Rhino brand because the Line-X dealer is just a few miles from my house, so I can't comment on which is better. I did have a plastic insert on one of my trucks and will never do that again. If it weren't so expensive I'd like to have the whole underside of my truck sprayed to protect it from the salt used on the roads during the winter months here in the midwest.

Ske120
02-03-2019, 09:17 AM
I agree with others that Line-X is great. They recommend 2 coats if you plan on using the truck as a truck (ie hauling firewood, gravel, etc). They do colour matching and can also do the rocker panels on the truck. Depends how deep you want to dive into your pockets 😉. With the incredibly light metal they are using to make trucks now the Line-X with 2 coats prevented the box of our truck from denting when we loaded firewood.

DonnieBlitz
02-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Rhino Liner by far! I have one in my 2001 Dodge 2500 that I used as a contractor, and beat it to death and it just takes more! My 3500 Dodge dually has the same and it looks new after 130,000 miles!

hawkswin
02-03-2019, 11:19 AM
I've had Line-X in three trucks and highly recommend them. They take out all the bolts, then spray on the liner, then put things back. Allows you to undo things easily if needed.

I've had Rhino in my last two trucks. They did the same during install. All my research tells me they are virtually the same. Base your decision on the installer and price instead of brand.

cardinal96ss
02-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Put Line-x on two vehicles, including the bed, tailgate and vehicle sides from the side trim down. We live on gravel/crushed rock roads and the coating has prevented paint chips. We had them use an additive that has kept the coating shiny, for over 14 years on the 2001 Dodge.

wildbill13
02-03-2019, 12:53 PM
OK, something different here: I went with a BedRug in an F-150 pulling my TT.

I actually considered Line-X and Rhino, but I'm meticulous about my vehicles and rarely use the bed for dirty things, so it worked very well for me.

It is the consistency of really thick trunk carpet and mounts with velcro adhesive strips. I never removed it but you could easily. I did carry a few loads of mulch and just pressure washed it out. It was still like new after 4 years (under a tonneau cover). I think it was about $400.

The biggest downside, I always felt like a dork vacuuming my truck bed :D.

It's not for everyone but it was perfect for me.
-Bill

SR71 Jet Mech
02-03-2019, 05:19 PM
My second pickup with a sprayed in bed liner. This one is 14 years old. It’s a Line X. When it’s time to upgrade to a dually for the last bigger 5er, I’ll Line X again.

Just my $.02

jimborokz
02-04-2019, 05:23 AM
I had two trucks with Line-X and they were great. Bought a new truck and the dealer steared me away from factory liner in favor of local Bullet installer. He said the local has better installation quality. The result was a perfectly clean install and a durable liner. Have been happy with both brands.

Ken / Claudia
02-04-2019, 12:17 PM
My truck has had a line-X since new in 2001. It has faded and was noticeable at about the 10 year old mark. It was in weather 24/7. I would have never done anything to it and the fading is no big deal to me. 3 years ago a fork lift with a tile pallet split the liner with the forks dragging on the floor area. Until then loads of rock, bark, wood, timber has had no effect.
I sprayed a new liner over the old, put a mat on the floor and have a bed cover. It still gets used and now looks new again. Next truck will have or get another spray-in liner. If I buy it, it will be line-x.

Ccrew
02-22-2019, 08:40 PM
LineX vs Rhino is pretty much a Ford Vs Chevy thing. Where I am Rhino is the winner hands down because of the differences in prep and application of the two shops that install them. Materials are generally the same.