PDA

View Full Version : New member, new Cougar HT in Oklahoma!

KC10Chief
01-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Hello! We just purchased a 2019 Cougar 29BHS travel trailer! We have been looking at all sorts of different floor plans and felt this one fit us the best. It's my wife and I and our 12 year old daughter. We couldn't find a 29BHS exactly like we wanted so we ordered one. It's supposed to be here in less than two weeks!

My truck is a 2018 Ford F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. I'm aware that the trailer is on the big side for my truck and I read all about towing capacity, payload capacity, braking, etc. until my eyes were bleeding. I bought a ProPride 3P-1400 hitch. I'm confident my truck will be able to handle the trailer no problem. Especially here in Oklahoma.

Chris P
01-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, congratulations on your New camper.

KC10Chief
01-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, congratulations on your New camper.

Thanks! I used to live in New Jersey from 1998 to 2001. I was in the Air Force stationed at McGuire. I hated it at first but it really grew on me quickly. Been back a few times. It's a nice place!

sourdough
01-26-2019, 09:16 AM
Congrats on the new trailer! As you've mentioned, the trailer is actually a little large for a 1/2 ton at 9500 gvw IMO. Having done the same thing (10k gvw) I can assure you that the truck will "pull" it - "handle" it is another matter. The ProPride will make a big difference I'm sure but that's still a lot of trailer for your truck. At least it's 34' vs mine at 38'. Not preaching or putting your combo down, just letting you know, in time, there are better towing options out there. Moving to a 3/4 ton was a night and day difference. Have fun and happy camping!!

busterbrown
01-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Congrats on that new trailer. Many memories to be had.

What Danny said is very accurate. Ford's Ecoboast has a very acceptable low RPM torque curve allowing for satisfying acceleration. Unfortunately, the powertrain is mated to a 1/2 ton chassis, the truck is being stopped by 1/2 ton brakes, the payload supported by a 1/2 ton suspension... in other words, it's still a 1/2 ton vehicle. GVR trailers approaching 10K lbs are much safer being tugged along by a true HD vehicle.

Adding a very heavy Propride or Hensley to the mix will take away even more precious 1/2 ton payload. I bought a Hensley that took away nearly 200 lbs of payload, putting me over on my 1/2 ton limits. So I did the prudent thing. See my signature.

Now, both my TV and hitch are matched very well to my 35' trailer. The stress-free tows are very much welcomed.

ledunn
01-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Welcome to the forum. Take care and be safe.

Chris P
01-26-2019, 05:30 PM
Matt, Thanks for your service! [emoji631]

KC10Chief
01-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies! Like I said, I've read all of that over and over and am well aware of what I'll be doing. Other F-150 owners doing more than I am have given me confidence! HA! And if I find out that my tow vehicle is indeed inadequate, I live in America! I'll trade it in for a new Super Duty! HA!

sourdough
01-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the replies! Like I said, I've read all of that over and over and am well aware of what I'll be doing. Other F-150 owners doing more than I am have given me confidence! HA! And if I find out that my tow vehicle is indeed inadequate, I live in America! I'll trade it in for a new Super Duty! HA!

Just remember, as one our members coined (or someone) :D, that you don't know what you don't know. I'm sure my many other 1/2 tons did "just fine".....until I had something to compare against. And, you can always tow whatever you want...with whatever you want, and let those "internet" folks give you confidence....:facepalm: I'm sure those others "doing more than you are" have checked their weights and have the safety of themselves, their family and others at the top of their lists....?:nonono:

14george
01-27-2019, 05:42 AM
Welcome to the fourm congrats from WV

RedRocket
01-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the forum! From a fellow Okie.

5J's
01-28-2019, 05:48 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Texas.

Jseitz
01-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Hello and thank you for your service. I bought the Cougar 29BHS last week. I have a Huskey CenterLine WD hitch and pull with an F250 Diesel. I have limited towing with the Cougar but I liked the set up so far. I used to pull a 12,000lb TH with the Center line. Good luck and enjoy!!

Rixtoyz
02-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the forum! You will love your Cougar. We got a 28RLS last year and have been really happy with it. Enjoy your summer with your new Cougar!

KC10Chief
02-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies! The trailer is supposed to ship tomorrow or the next day. I'm hoping it will be here by Thursday! The dealer says they'll schedule an entire Saturday for me to come do a PDI, then they do a two hour class for my family and I where they show us how to use everything. I'm pretty familiar with these things but it will be good for my wife to see. Then they said I could use their shop to install my ProPride hitch. I figure it will take me a couple of hours to do that. The guys at the dealer told me they didn't even know such a thing existed. So, I figure it's best to install myself. HA! Assuming everything goes correctly, I'll tow it up to an RV park near the house and we'll use it that night for our first shake down run! Then the next weekend is a three day weekend and we'll camp again.

We have bought a lot of stuff already. New 70x80 king size 12" thick mattress, towels, toiletries, dinnerware, sewer hoses, extension cords, 50A Progressive Industries surge protector, sheets, comforter, water pressure regulators, etc. We're super excited about it!

kayakjim
02-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Congrats on your new trailer. I just purchased a 2019 Cougar 27WRES (31'). I thought I could tow just fine with my F150 until towing in a 40 MPH cross wind. We made it, but I had indentations on the steering wheel from me gripping it so hard, not to mention being mentally drained. The Half Ton Keystone's are taller than most trailers and they really catch the wind. I went to a CAT scale and weighed the truck and trailer axles after my frightful trip. I was just under on the front and just over on the back. I did lots of research and lots of reading on this forum. Well, I recently purchased a F250 based on the research and very wise folks on this site. What a difference in towing. More than that I feel much more confident that I wont hurt (kill) my wife and dogs. Recently towed in similar winds and did not feel the sway. You may not see accidents on the news everyday from towing with a F150 or similar with a 34' trailer but they do happen. Please be careful out there for you/family and those around you. BTW I have a Equalizer 14K hitch. The best money can buy at lease I think so as do the readers of trailer life. Size your hitch to the tongue weight not the trailer weight. For $130.00 you can buy a tongue weight scale from Amazon. Enjoy your new trailer and be safe!

Harleyboy01
02-03-2019, 10:48 AM
I have 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500. 5.3 motor all the external coolers for trans and oil. Factory suspension with a tow cap of 9900. My Impact toy hauler is a 28V with a dry weight of 7100. Hitch is around 1000. Two bikes in the garage with supplies I figured I’m around 9500 or so. Just did a trip to Daytona Beach in October which figured out a little over 2200 miles round trip. Truck was flawless. Handled the mountains in Pa and WV with zero problems. Minimal sway I felt. Semi passing me never a problem. I know I am close to my limit. Just giving you my 2 cents. Hope it helps. Done other trips averaging 700 to 900 mile round trip also. Never a problem. Average speed was 60. Always slowed down on the down grades and took my time.

KC10Chief
02-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys! I have heard both sides. I believe that my truck and the setup I'm using right off the bat will help me minimize if not eliminate these issues. I bought a ProPride 3P-1400 hitch. I believed it to be the best hitch money could buy. I certainly hope so at over $3,000 for a hitch! If you haven't seen one, check out the video below. It is very heavy duty and has a simulated pivot point so that it tows more like a fifth wheel. Even though it's hooked up to the bumper. This helps to eliminate sway. It is also a load leveling hitch. It's pretty unconventional. My dealer told me they'd never seen anything like it and are interested to watch me hook it all up. I also bought airbags for the rear of the truck just for a little added stability and stiffer suspension. I live in Oklahoma. It's relatively flat here but the cross winds are definitely something I've considered.

I absolutely LOVE my F-150. What a fantastic machine it is. I like it for my commute, the other non-towing activities I'm into, and the relative ease of parking. It also fits in my garage. Just barely though. A 3/4 ton will not fit. With baseball size hail we get occasionally, I find it important to be able to keep my vehicles inside. We plan on moving in a couple of years and building a house. I'll definitely have a shop. That will be the time to upgrade to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. But, if I find that my F-150 is inadequate or I feel it is in any way unsafe, I'll suck it up and trade it for the 3/4 ton.

Here's the ProPride video. You don't need to watch the whole thing. You can get the gist of it watching the beginning of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtD6kuUfsRA&t=3s

kayakjim
02-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys! I have heard both sides. I believe that my truck and the setup I'm using right off the bat will help me minimize if not eliminate these issues. I bought a ProPride 3P-1400 hitch. I believed it to be the best hitch money could buy. I certainly hope so at over $3,000 for a hitch! If you haven't seen one, check out the video below. It is very heavy duty and has a simulated pivot point so that it tows more like a fifth wheel. Even though it's hooked up to the bumper. This helps to eliminate sway. It is also a load leveling hitch. It's pretty unconventional. My dealer told me they'd never seen anything like it and are interested to watch me hook it all up. I also bought airbags for the rear of the truck just for a little added stability and stiffer suspension. I live in Oklahoma. It's relatively flat here but the cross winds are definitely something I've considered.

I absolutely LOVE my F-150. What a fantastic machine it is. I like it for my commute, the other non-towing activities I'm into, and the relative ease of parking. It also fits in my garage. Just barely though. A 3/4 ton will not fit. With baseball size hail we get occasionally, I find it important to be able to keep my vehicles inside. We plan on moving in a couple of years and building a house. I'll definitely have a shop. That will be the time to upgrade to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. But, if I find that my F-150 is inadequate or I feel it is in any way unsafe, I'll suck it up and trade it for the 3/4 ton.

Here's the ProPride video. You don't need to watch the whole thing. You can get the gist of it watching the beginning of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtD6kuUfsRA&t=3s
I like that hitch. First I have seen it. I added Firestone airbags to my F150 and also added E rated Michelin tires. I thought the tires made the biggest difference since they hold up better around a corner. I totally get where you are with your F150. I wish I felt more comfortable keeping my 2017 F150. The '19 250 will cost me an Extra 100 bucks in fuel, not to mention the taxes in California for a heavy vehicle and the rougher ride. Let us all know how the hitch works. Most of all have fun. I am envious with the trips you have planned. My next trip is not scheduled until March.

Jmill8
02-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Greetings from xpat Oakie living in Pacific NW. Enjoyed growing up in flatlands but now to flat and hot/cold for ageing body! I have always towed with 3/4 TV even towing 26' Terry Resort. I figure too much TV is better than too little. Welcome to the site, much good info to be had here.

arch113
02-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Greetings from Enid, Oklahoma

kayakjim
03-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Hope you are enjoying your trailer! I brought my trailer in for some service on Friday and saw a F150 with a Pro Pride hitch leaving with a 34 foot Cougar. Brand spanking new. Have you had a chance to tow loaded yet? Just wondering how it did. I wish I could have stayed with my F150. Overloaded beyond door sticker with loaded trailer and truck so upgraded to the 250 and can really tell the difference towing. Cant say I like the added price, height and lower MPG when NOT towing. I have to go online now to find parking garages that are over 7 feet of clearance.

KC10Chief
03-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Hope you are enjoying your trailer! I brought my trailer in for some service on Friday and saw a F150 with a Pro Pride hitch leaving with a 34 foot Cougar. Brand spanking new. Have you had a chance to tow loaded yet? Just wondering how it did. I wish I could have stayed with my F150. Overloaded beyond door sticker with loaded trailer and truck so upgraded to the 250 and can really tell the difference towing. Cant say I like the added price, height and lower MPG when NOT towing. I have to go online now to find parking garages that are over 7 feet of clearance.

Thanks! That was probably me! I picked up the trailer Friday afternoon. It tows great. I towed it up to Lake Arcadia during rush hour traffic. Just took my time and made it through all of that with no problems. I can't believe the power that this 3.5L motor has. If you had told me ten years ago that I'd be buying a half ton truck with a V6 to tow a 7,000+ pound trailer, I'd have laughed in your face and given a long lecture about how you needed a 3/4 ton truck with a big diesel motor. Stopping is just fine too. We camped out Saturday night and were super comfortable. I love this thing!

yesiamapirate
03-04-2019, 06:21 AM
Congrats on getting your new baby home!!! We bought a Cougar 2019 27SAB last month. We tow with an F150. Upgraded tow package, etc. we only ever pulled it home as it had been winter here in Michigan. My husband and I crunched the numbers. We have over 11 thousand ponds towing capacity so we are fine there coming in max at 8,800 for the trailer. As for GVWR, our truck GVWR is 7000. We fall under that as well as long as we do t carry a ton of bricks!

Enjoy the new trailer!!