PDA

View Full Version : Travel Trailer Stabilization

Skins44
01-25-2019, 06:38 AM
I know this has been covered, however would like to present my situation for feedback on how I can help stabilize my trailer

- 27' Keystone Outback travel trailer

- I use 6x6 blocks to rest my manual scissor jacks (socket adapter and drill). 6 x 6 blocks to help with soft soil and to decrease the scissor jack extension.

- cheapo yellow wheel chocks

with this set-up, anytime someone rolls around in bed, everyone else feels it and shakes in their bed. When i step up the stairs into the trailer, you can feel it fairly considerably.

Suggestions for increased stability?

xrated
01-25-2019, 06:57 AM
This is a fairly easy and fairly inexpensive solution to your problem....and thousands of others. The BAL X-chock system....

https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel-Stabilizer-Handle-28012/dp/B002XLHUQG/ref=asc_df_B002XLHUQG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312098740701&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17284853029785558853&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013385&hvtargid=pla-365326661179&psc=1

I'm not saying that Amazon is the cheapest of prices (they may be), but that was the first site that came up when I did a search to provide you with a link. I bought these last summer and it doesn't completely eliminate movement, but I'd say it's at least 85-90% effective. Of course, some of that will depend on how much the person moving around in the trailer weighs, and how tightly you install them between the two wheels. They come in pairs and one should be placed between the two tires on the left side as well as the right side. Hope this helps. There are other more expensive options, but I'd try these first, as they seems to work really well. If push comes to shove, you could always sell them for slightly less than you paid and search for the more expensive solution.

meaz93*
01-25-2019, 07:09 AM
I use these on my 38'Outback as well and they work great.

66joej
01-25-2019, 07:16 AM
Another inexpensive way is to buy a couple of those aluminum screw jacks and place one at the front of the wheels on the frame and another behind the wheels on the frame at the other side. Works for us.

Skins44
01-25-2019, 07:24 AM
thanks xrated, those were on my list for consideration. I also saw some youtube videos of guys installing stabilizers into the trailer frame. The arms would extend underneath the coach to the opposite side. I would like to avoid modifications to the frame if possible.

meaz93, by "I use these" do you mean the xchocks? Or, did you mean to include a link?

meaz93*
01-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Xchocks-yes [emoji106]

Lee
01-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I see that these are sold as pairs or singles.... For my 21RBSWE TT would 1 or 2 be needed?

Thanks,

chuckster57
01-25-2019, 07:41 AM
You will need a pair of X chocks. One on each side. I used them on my old 36’ fiver and it was just about rock solid. I use them on current fiver, they do great!

rhagfo
01-25-2019, 07:53 AM
JT Strongarms!

sourdough
01-25-2019, 07:58 AM
We use X chocks as well. They eliminate most of the "bounce" that we had previously. Use the Bal brand would be my recommendation. I tried using some yellow plastic X braces from Camco I believe with a knurled knob you tightened them with - could not keep them tight. Like these well enough that I don't want to go the route of the more expensive, and time consuming, frame mounted stabilizers. As far as the steps causing bounce - they do. Most mornings my wife gets up earlier than I do and takes puppy out for her walk and every morning I would be "jostled" as first DW, then puppy, hit the steps going out. I'm trying out a little stabilizer that goes under the bottom step this trip and we've been pleasantly surprised by the ease of use and its effectiveness. Now I only hear them go out but don't have to grab hold of the bedframe to stay put....:lol:

Carrottop
01-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Just make sure you measure the distance between the wheels on the trailer. There are two types of x-chocks regular and x-chocks Xtended I believe for the trailers with the wider distance between the wheels.

ken56
01-25-2019, 08:08 AM
JT Strongarms. Friends did their trailer and it was a huge improvement. You will not eliminate all the movement no matter what you do.

xrated
01-25-2019, 12:56 PM
And, if you really want to get fancy/lazy like me, I use a 3/8" air ratchet with a 3/4" socket to run the adjuster on the X-Chocks into place. I've got a DeWalt 6 gallon portable air compressor with a short piece of the curly air hose. Plug the compressor in and let it fill the tank, then carry it with me to each side and run the adjuster down until very snug. Reverse at the end of the camping trip.

Lambville
01-31-2019, 08:33 AM
X-Chocks are amazing for the front-to-back sway. Additionally, I use these guys - below. One under the tongue and one under the rear bumper. together, my 24' Cougar is solid as a rock (almost).

Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizer (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UGJPXQ)

judia
01-31-2019, 09:09 AM
X-Chocks (extended or wide stance) work well on my Bullet 243BHS. Also got one of these little ditties for under my steps, which makes a big difference:

https://www.amazon.com/EasyGo-RV-Step-Stabilizer-Support/dp/B075X56GLP/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548953831&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=rv+step+stabilizer&psc=1

I put it under the middle step a bit more to the left/handle side.

Modifier
01-31-2019, 10:51 AM
I am a long time (over 30 years) user of X-Chocks and am very happy with the way they stop trailer movement. However I will make one further recommendation. Get the kind that are adjusted only the first time you use them and after that they are tightened into place with a lever. No need to carry a wrench or drill motor. Also the lever has holes for a padlock to secure them. I have not bought a pair of these in quite a while, I hope that they are still on the market.

UsTwo
01-31-2019, 11:19 AM
X-Chocks are amazing for the front-to-back sway. Additionally, I use these guys - below. One under the tongue and one under the rear bumper. together, my 24' Cougar is solid as a rock (almost).

Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizer (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UGJPXQ)

I also use the x chock and the valterra.. Love it. Most times I only use one..

BikerRN1
01-31-2019, 01:52 PM
I Am new to this as well, but use the shocks and step stabilizer. They make a big difference.

Bttravel
01-31-2019, 05:39 PM
I use the JT Strongarms along with universal stabilizer positioned under the step box and one on the other side close to the axles under the frame. Along with x-chocks it makes for a very stable platform. Flopping in bed makes no noticeable movement. The Strongarms make a big difference. Worth it if you are stationary for quite a while.

Bamabox
02-01-2019, 06:39 AM
X chocks for sure. Don’t bother with them for a 1 night stay, but anything over that they go on. Like the idea of the step support. Will look into that.

spade117
02-01-2019, 07:24 AM
X-chocks help, but remember to check their fit after awhile, especially if inserted shortly after arrival as the tire pressure will change a bit afterwards.