PDA

View Full Version : refrigerator only works on gas

Sarvi
01-23-2019, 11:12 AM
I changed out my 12 volt batteries last August to 6 volt golf cart batteries, and ever since, my refrigerator doesn't work on battery or electric, only gas. Everything else works great. Any thoughts as to why?

KeithInUpstateNY
01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Ignore this, that doesn't make sense either because it needs 12V to run on propane too I believe.

First thought since everything else is working: Have you checked the 12V fuse for the fridge? Maybe you blew it when you swapped batteries? Don't know why one would blow and not the others, but it's possible.

JRTJH
01-23-2019, 01:07 PM
There are two fuses inside the black cover on the rear of the refrigerator. One is for DC operation one is for AC operation. I can't remember which is which, but check those two fuses. If they are both OK, then check the 120 VAC plug that the refrigerator is plugged into. It may be on a GFCI and tripped. The easiest way to check the plug if you don't have a multimeter is to plug in a trouble light or a lamp. If it works and the bulb lights, the plug is good, if not, well, troubleshooting for the reason is next......

FlyingAroundRV
01-23-2019, 02:43 PM
I'll second what previous posters have said and add the following.
To test the power point at the back of the fridge, plug in something that draws a significant amount of current like a a fan heater or a hair dryer, or a heat gun. Observe how the device performs on that plug compared to how it performs at the plug on the CG pedestal.
The fridge draws about 4 amps and if the connection to that plug from the distribution board is flaky (as it was in my case) the fridge will try to cycle onto 120V, detect a low voltage condition and then switch over to gas. In my case, the fridge did this so much that the switching on and off of the electric element caused it to fail, kind of like when the kids play with the light switch in their bedroom!
The culprit in my case was the connection at the distribution box. This connection (in my case) was made with a wire nut that wasn't making a good high current connection. The connection was piggybacked onto the connection for the converter.

cathcartww
01-23-2019, 05:34 PM
I changed out my 12 volt batteries last August to 6 volt golf cart batteries, and ever since, my refrigerator doesn't work on battery or electric, only gas. Everything else works great. Any thoughts as to why?

I assume you realize that when the refrigerator is on electric, it uses both 12v for controls, but needs shore power (120v) for cooling ?

travelin texans
01-23-2019, 07:38 PM
It never did work on 12 volt (battery) only, but does require 12 volt to operate control board. If it's running on gas it must be getting the control board powered somehow.

notanlines
01-24-2019, 01:20 AM
This RV may have been supplied with one of the 3-way Norcolds or similar refrigerators. If it was, does it still operate on 12 volt?

Sarvi
01-24-2019, 09:47 AM
It is a Dometic refrigerator. I will check these suggestions over the next few days, and any more that you all have. Thanks!