PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic leveling system does not like cold weather

Sandfreak
01-22-2019, 10:51 PM
Anyone else have issues with the hydraulic leveling system when the weather turns cold?
If we're camped out when temps drop to 25° at night and all the jack's have trouble retracting. Do they make such a thing as lighter weight hydraulic fluid?

chuckster57
01-23-2019, 05:31 AM
There may be a warning label that describes what your experiencing. Unfortunately there isn’t any “fix” that I’m aware of, maybe one of our members that live in a cold region will have a solution.

Racebug
01-23-2019, 06:45 AM
I put a bigger circuit breaker on mine. old one had several wires hooked to it and was undersized. I don't remember the amperage I used to replace it but it works perfectly now.

travelin texans
01-23-2019, 07:45 AM
I don't know what fluid is in yours, on mine I pulled out 1 quart of the original fluid & replaced with a 15w motorcycle fork oil, this was recommended by factory service tech, this helped cold weather operation & also stopped the creaking/groaning/popping of the jacks in extreme weather changes. Since then I keep the reservoir topped off the the fork oil. Just FYI, before adding oil to reservoir be sure all jacks are up & slides in or you risk overfilling, fill to 1/4-1/2" below fill opening, then cycle jacks & slides a few times to circulate in the new fluid.

ChuckS
01-23-2019, 08:49 AM
I live in cold weather. Look at Lippert recommended fluid for colder weather and change out the fluid. It will make a world of difference in how much current the hyd pump motor has to draw when operating LG or slides

I’d also recommend substitution 1 qt of their cold weather fluid viscosity with a quart of anti stiction fluid. It will lessons issues with LG making popping sounds when down.

https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0291.pdf

https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf

ChuckS
01-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Also if you have issue with hyd landing gear or slides stopping during motion upgrade the auto reset DC breaker from battery to the dual polarity solenoid on the pump motor to an 80 amp breaker.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/sheets/TI___040_Wiring_Circuit_Breakers_For_Hydraulic_Pum ps.pdf

JRTJH
01-23-2019, 09:17 AM
I blew out two hydraulic coolers on my tractor and my neighbor blew at least 3 hydraulic lines and a cooler on his tractor over the past 10 years during "startup/warmup". Just because it will "start and run" doesn't mean it's not doing damage to seals, valves and piston rings by forcing them to operate on hydraulic fluid that's too thick to flow easily. It's not just "hard on the pump" but can be damaging to the entire system.

If you're having issues, two solutions, drag it somewhere warmer (the ideal solution for cold weather camping) and for a more realistic solution, drain the fluid and replace it with one from the Lippert list that is thinner at colder temperatures.

Sandfreak
01-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the pdfs. Do you think it's necessary to replace all the current fluid or can I remove a quart or two and then add some of the low temp synthetic? I only have issues a few times a year when camping in the fall. I live in cold weather. Look at Lippert recommended fluid for colder weather and change out the fluid. It will make a world of difference in how much current the hyd pump motor has to draw when operating LG or slides

I’d also recommend substitution 1 qt of their cold weather fluid viscosity with a quart of anti stiction fluid. It will lessons issues with LG making popping sounds when down.

https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0291.pdf

Sandfreak
01-23-2019, 09:23 AM
Being we use our trailer in a wide range of temps are there any issues in using cold climate fluid in hotter temps?I blew out two hydraulic coolers on my tractor and my neighbor blew at least 3 hydraulic lines and a cooler on his tractor over the past 10 years during "startup/warmup". Just because it will "start and run" doesn't mean it's not doing damage to seals, valves and piston rings by forcing them to operate on hydraulic fluid that's too thick to flow easily. It's not just "hard on the pump" but can be damaging to the entire system.

If you're having issues, two solutions, drag it somewhere warmer (the ideal solution for cold weather camping) and for a more realistic solution, drain the fluid and replace it with one from the Lippert list that is thinner at colder temperatures.

JRTJH
01-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Being we use our trailer in a wide range of temps are there any issues in using cold climate fluid in hotter temps?

With the limited use a hydraulic system gets in an RV, I don't know of any "downside" to using "cold climate fluids" year round... The only disadvantage I know if is that they typically cost more, so manufacturers don't use them as OEM so they preserve their profit margin....

I use "cold climate hydraulic fluid" in my tractor year round. Summer fluid temps get "hot enough to burn your hand" but I've never experienced any fluid breakdown from heat.... I have, multiple times, as indicated above, had problems with "summer fluid being too cold"....

My "recommended all season fluid" costs about $45 for a 5 gallon pail. The "cold weather fluid" costs about $90 per pail, so you can see why Keystone/Lippert and the others don't use it for every trailer that leaves the factory.....

MattE303
01-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Anyone else have issues with the hydraulic leveling system when the weather turns cold?
If we're camped out when temps drop to 25° at night and all the jack's have trouble retracting. Do they make such a thing as lighter weight hydraulic fluid?Interesting that yours had trouble retracting. The one time I had problems with mine was picking it up from the dealer service dept in Reno during the winter. I was trying to extend the jacks in order to hook up and they wouldn't budge. One of the service guys showed me that if you retract them a little bit to "get the fluid moving" before trying to extend, you'll have better luck.

MKGRAHAM
01-23-2019, 11:58 AM
I have a new camper, 2019 Fuzion 369, first time out this past weekend...The same thing happened to me. it would just shutdown after about 10 seconds of retracting, & I would have to wait & start over until all the legs were up.

ChuckS
01-23-2019, 01:03 PM
If your going to swap out the fluid with lower viscosity and also highly recommend adding qt of stiction fluid ...

Retract all gear and slides. Siphon out as much as you can

Fill reservoir ... cycle the LG and slides 3 or 4 times each to mix the fluid

Pause for about 5 minutes after each cycle to let pump motor cool off

This will mix new fluid with old fluid that was in hyd lines and hyd pistons.

All will be fine.

chuckster57
01-23-2019, 01:45 PM
You may not need to siphon any fluid out. With everything retracted, see where the fluid level is. Last on I did took the qt and barely made it to the full line.

Sandfreak
01-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Old Mustanger
01-23-2019, 08:45 PM
I have a new camper, 2019 Fuzion 369, first time out this past weekend...The same thing happened to me. it would just shutdown after about 10 seconds of retracting, & I would have to wait & start over until all the legs were up.

There is a sticker on the door of my landing gear control that states if the retract all function will not work correctly in cold weather to put the system in manual mode to completely retract. Worked for me on my trip up north after Christmas.:)

ChuckS
01-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Upgrade the auto reset breaker from dual polarity solenoid to battery. Replace fluid with lighter viscosity fluid. The pump and motor will like you for it.

Even a manual retract with hyd system using drill is putting a load on the seals of the entire hyd system in cold weather.

rsv4pilot
01-24-2019, 10:50 PM
What about using a space heater and warming the pump and reservoir before using??

Old Mustanger
01-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Even a manual retract with hyd system using drill is putting a load on the seals of the entire hyd system in cold weather.

If you are referring to my post above, I wasn't referring to an actual manual retraction with a drill but the manual mode of the system as opposed to the auto "retract all" mode. Scroll to manual mode then push the retract button then rear or front to retract. :cool:

lonewolftx
01-29-2019, 01:54 PM
You are talking about this one correct? Two wires coming off of it: 1 to DC panel in rig and the other to the level up pump. So your saying these are 50amp reset breakers. Only need to upgrade the level up one? Where do you get them?🤔

lonewolftx
01-29-2019, 01:56 PM
What about using a space heater and warming the pump and reservoir before using??

The fluid runs throughout the system, 6 legs in my case. You’ll never heat all the fluid up given the runs to each leg.

lonewolftx
01-29-2019, 01:57 PM
This is also a symptom of lower than needed battery power. 🙃

lonewolftx
01-29-2019, 02:01 PM
There is a sticker on the door of my landing gear control that states if the retract all function will not work correctly in cold weather to put the system in manual mode to completely retract. Worked for me on my trip up north after Christmas.:)it also says you can hook the pump up to your TV battery as a work around to low RV bats that can’t put out enough amps. It’s very sensitive to the amp level. Especially in cold weather. ����

lonewolftx
01-29-2019, 02:05 PM
Upgrade the auto reset breaker from dual polarity solenoid to battery. Replace fluid with lighter viscosity fluid. The pump and motor will like you for it.

When you say upgrade from auto reset breaker to battery are you saying take it out of the wiring system completely? How is the circuit protected doing it that way? I’m trying to understand your solution. An earlier post suggested using an 80 amp reset breaker. Where would you get them?

ChuckS
01-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Yes upgrade the existing resettable breaker running from the battery to the dual polarity solenoid on hyd pump motor

Simply follow the heavy cable attached to center lug of that solenoid back toward the battery.

Replace that breaker with an 80 amp resettable DC breaker. Can be found on Amazon and several other websites.

Also may find at an auto motive parts store

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bussmann-CB185-80-Surface-Mount-Circuit-Breakers-80-Amps-1-per-pack/152501754

ChuckS
01-29-2019, 02:32 PM
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/sheets/TI___040_Wiring_Circuit_Breakers_For_Hydraulic_Pum ps.pdf

lonewolftx
01-30-2019, 07:52 AM
Ok now that I see it I’m familiar with it. So you feel increasing from 50 to 80 amp cut out is still safe for the levelup pump then?🤔 I guess I’ll mount mine on the pump side so easier to reset if tripped.😉

ChuckS
01-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Lippert recommends increasing the hyd pump motor breaker to 80 amps. Mine came with an 80 amp. Once you replace that breaker will larger amperage and clean tighten connections from battery to breaker to dual polarity solenoid I think your troubles will go away.

lonewolftx
02-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Lippert recommends increasing the hyd pump motor breaker to 80 amps. Mine came with an 80 amp. Once you replace that breaker will larger amperage and clean tighten connections from battery to breaker to dual polarity solenoid I think your troubles will go away.

👌🏻So installed the busman 80 amp breaker you suggested today. Look forward to no issues next time out. Thanks for the insight. 😎
Last question. I have had a similar issue with my main slideout. It isn’t a hydraulic pump, electric with wire cable pulley system. Same sort of solution? Direct wire with larger breaker? Thanks.

Mick 1836
02-06-2019, 06:04 AM
Does the effect of cold temperatures have any relation to the 'popping' noises we get from the legs mainly at night when the temperature drops?

ChuckS
02-06-2019, 06:36 AM
This link will help you..... I get a bit of popping noise on mine but it’s so minimal we just ignore it.

Mick 1836
02-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Thanks Chuck S for that reply, can you confirm that the popping is just a think of annoyance and that the legs especially the front are not going to suddenly collapse?

ChuckS
02-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Your LG will not collapse. It’s just a settling effect due to temp change. Aircraft landing gear struts are also hydraulic and they settle depending on temp change and load