PDA

View Full Version : propane tanks

wiredgeorge
01-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Took my tanks to a U-Haul in San Antonio to have them filled; one was empty and the other was getting there. The kid who did the filling wouldn't fill one of my tanks; needed to be "re-certified". Sure enough, the tank was dated from 2002 but no one had ever mentioned it before. The date on my tank is preceeded by an "A" for some reason and reads "Axx02" (can't recall month represented by x's. The other tank had a re-certify sticker on it already good till next year. BTW: If the re-certify sticker falls off, the certifying place has the number on record and will just give you another sticker...

Most places that fill propane tanks are not certified to re-certify tanks. Propane depot in Pipe Creek is and they recertified mine yesterday for $15 and fill the tank. I had these tanks filled MANY times and never thought about certifying... since it is cold out and we are going camping 1st weekend guess it was good to have caught this now rather than when trying to buy propane after running out.

Ken / Claudia
01-22-2019, 08:13 AM
Here I have had 2 of the 5 gal bottles recertified over the years. It was 15 each and they stamped a new date on the handle. The last one I also had converted to the current style OPD for another 10 bucks. Back than a new bottle at Bi mart was 19.99. Last month another had expired and I recycled it and just paid for a new bottle at 24.99. The 7 gal ones are around 40 bucks so recertifying them makes more sense.

KeithInUpstateNY
01-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Another option with expired 20 pound tanks is to trade them in at a store with Rhino tanks. I don't usually use Rhino, it's cheaper to refill tanks at Tractor Supply or other places that sell bulk propane, but it is generally cheaper to pay the Rhino price for a full tank than to have a 20 pound tank recertied and filled. Just try to get one with a recent date, if you can. Rhino will recertify the tank.