PDA

View Full Version : Ladder

John F
01-17-2019, 04:23 PM
I ordered a Fifth Wheel and wanted a ladder. They refused to deliver with a ladder installed. They sent the ladder but the dealer also refused to install. I have been trying to find out where the backing is located on the 2019 Sprinter Campfire 29FWBH. Why is is so hard to get information from this company.? Does anyone know?

notanlines
01-17-2019, 04:46 PM
I’m betting that there is no backing for this unit in that it isnt stock nor is it offered as an option.
And, to be very blunt, Keystone already sold a unit to uou. They don’t WANT to talk to you. Think about it. What do they have to gain? Harsh but true.

On edit: I didn't see ladders on dealers pictures, but when I went to Keystone's website the RV's did offer ladders.

John F
01-17-2019, 04:49 PM
There is a backing according to there brochure. Well, one of the most important parts of them growing a business is great customer service. Common sense on their part.

JRTJH
01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
The website does indicate that all the Sprinter Campfire trailers are "backed for rear ladder" as a standard feature. The website does not indicate where the ladder backing is located and I can't find a photo of a 29BHS with a ladder installed, so I have no idea where the backing might be. Typically Keystone Customer Service will not divulge that kind of information to customers. Don't ask me why, I can't answer that, but they will usually give the dealership service department the necessary information for them to install the ladder properly. You may need to "lean on the service manager" and use your leverage of having bought and paid for the ladder by demanding (politely and firmly) that he provide you with the instructions or install the ladder.....

This is a "more flies with honey than with vinegar" situation, but the dealer really should step up to the plate and get you the info.

John F
01-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Thanks!. I verified there is a backing but am trying to get exact location so it doesn’t get screwed up. Asked the dealer but has not gotten it in 2 weeks. I bought it out of state for the great deal.

JRTJH
01-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Maybe you can get a local dealer to go to bat for you??? Some will, some may tell you to "take a hike"... You won't know until you ask.

sourdough
01-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Thanks!. I verified there is a backing but am trying to get exact location so it doesn’t get screwed up. Asked the dealer but has not gotten it in 2 weeks. I bought it out of state for the great deal.

"I ordered a Fifth Wheel and wanted a ladder. They refused to deliver with a ladder installed. They sent the ladder but the dealer also refused to install. I have been trying to find out where the backing is located on the 2019 Sprinter Campfire 29FWBH. Why is is so hard to get information from this company.? Does anyone know?"

You've made a mistake many make; buying "there" and expecting the dealership "here" to take care of you. You need to know who it is you buy from or take your chances. RV manufacturers/dealers are nothing like car dealerships. Trying to go "on the cheap", read best deal somewhere far away, can sometimes really bite you when it comes to warranty or maintenance.

chuckster57
01-17-2019, 07:36 PM
If you factory ordered a unit with a ladder and it showed up without one installed, you should have refused the unit.

fjr vfr
01-17-2019, 08:30 PM
If you factory ordered a unit with a ladder and it showed up without one installed, you should have refused the unit.

+1 That was your leverage. Refuse to take delivery without the ladder installed or the instructions for installation.
Good Luck

John F
01-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Actually the dealer there has a network around the country to handle issues and all warranty. We will see how good it is

John F
01-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Keystone will no longer install ladders for liability reasons. The dealer said they would install it. Then the service department found out that they could not install it for insurance reasons. All these lawsuits ruin it for others.

chuckster57
01-17-2019, 08:45 PM
That makes no sense. If a ladder is an option you can choose at time of order, then the factory should install. I think someone forgot to check the box for the ladder and is trying to cover their you know what. I would ask for documentation from Keystone that they won’t install ladders on units that include them as standard or optional equipment.

sourdough
01-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Keystone will no longer install ladders for liability reasons. The dealer said they would install it. Then the service department found out that they could not install it for insurance reasons. All these lawsuits ruin it for others.

You are being led down the "primrose" path. The comments above are just "out there". IMO...

JRTJH
01-17-2019, 08:57 PM

If you go to the Keystone website and look at the exterior photos of the Cougar, Laredo and Outback travel trailer lines, you'll see that all of them are shipped from the factory with rear roof ladders installed. Whoever told you that line really needs to be held accountable for the garbage they're telling new owners.
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/cougar-half-ton/gallery/
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/laredo/gallery/
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/outback/gallery/

WiscTraveler
01-18-2019, 05:36 AM
I have the almost exact same unit but a 29FWRL model with no ladder and have been thinking about adding a ladder also. Always carried a lightweight aluminum ladder that does the job but it does take up room. I see Trekwood has the ladder. Will wait and see what becomes of your ladder install and possibly a picture when you do get it done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

travelin texans
01-18-2019, 07:34 AM
I have the almost exact same unit but a 29FWRL model with no ladder and have been thinking about adding a ladder also. Always carried a lightweight aluminum ladder that does the job but it does take up room. I see Trekwood has the ladder. Will wait and see what becomes of your ladder install and possibly a picture when you do get it done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

In my opinion you're far better off carrying your portable ladder than any rv ladder. They are flimsy & lightweight, especially if you have as healthy of girth as I do. If you're adding the the ladder to tie up your bicycles or or other items I would highly recommend not doing that either, the ladders are designed for lightweight individuals to climb & not a cargo rack.

JRTJH
01-18-2019, 08:40 AM
^^^^^ I agree !!!

Additionally, if you install a ladder, you'll be adding at least 4 holes to the TPO roof membrane, holes that are going to be 'jiggled" every time you climb the ladder. Roof ladders, while they can be "problem free" for some people, are a major means of "roof rot" for others. I wouldn't put any holes in my roof that weren't necessary. If you already have a ladder and it's working, I'd suspect a new ladder "wouldn't be necessary".... YMMV

sourdough
01-18-2019, 11:21 AM
^^^^^I agree with the above 2 posts. Forget adding the ladder to your trailer and use the aluminum one you have. I have a ladder on my trailer but will not use it; it causes far more problems than any benefit that I have found. I use my folding aluminum ladder exclusively and continually tighten all the mounting screws on the built in ladder and reseal the dicor on the top frequently - because they just get loose from travel. The dealership seems to always insist on using the ladder when I have roof maintenance done and it always, without exception, comes back either bent or loose. And as Danny mentioned, I wouldn't think about adding one so that I could hang stuff on it; problematic at best IMO.

fjr vfr
01-18-2019, 08:52 PM
I have a ladder on my Laredo 5th wheel. :) I use it for carrying my 6 ft aluminum step ladder. :D Works great. :lol:

wiredgeorge
01-19-2019, 02:46 AM
I have an extending ladder and find the ladder mounted on the rear of my Cougar a perfect place to put the extending ladder over the top of it. The extending ladder is stabilized perfectly. The extending ladder is braced and doesn't move when I go up the ladder and the handholds on the roof on the RV ladder are handy for actually getting on the roof. The RV ladder is too narrow and flimsy to give me confidence on its own.

fjr vfr
01-20-2019, 09:33 AM
I view my installed ladder kind of like my spare tire. I'm glad it's there when needed.

When I can plan ahead for going on the roof I use something else more appropriate.

PSD Andy
01-21-2019, 03:25 PM
I ordered a Fifth Wheel and wanted a ladder. They refused to deliver with a ladder installed. They sent the ladder but the dealer also refused to install. I have been trying to find out where the backing is located on the 2019 Sprinter Campfire 29FWBH. Why is is so hard to get information from this company.? Does anyone know?

Hi we have almost the exact same model but it's a 2018 and 29FWRL. Ours did not have a ladder from the factory. I'm pretty sure our dealer had your specific model on the lot with the ladder already on it from the factory when we drove thru there lot looking at all the models. LOL!

We requested one to be installed before picking it up and the dealer had to verify with Keystone first. They called me back the next day and said Keystone gave the okay because it was "prepped for it at the factory". So we had to pony up another $400 and the dealer installed it for us.

We camp at a lot of campgrounds with trees overhead or right next to the trailer so before putting all 3 slides in I go up the ladder with a broom and sweep all leaves, pine-cones, berries, etc. off the slide roofs before retracting them in. Amazing how much tree junk can accumulate up there in just a weekend!

I know there are a lot of different ladders but the one on ours feels secure and solidly mounted, it is however very narrow but for what it's purpose is I can live with that.

WiscTraveler
01-24-2019, 04:48 AM
PSD Andy is it possible for you to post a picture of your ladder mounted on the back of your trailer and also please measure looking from the back of the trailer the distance from the bottom right ladder mount to the outside and bottom edge of the trailer. Thanks

Northofu1
01-24-2019, 05:25 AM
I bought a Metaltech 15' 5" telescopic ladder. It is light and compact. So far it's proven itself.
https://www.metaltech.co/products/15-telescopic-ladder/

goodellj
01-24-2019, 08:53 AM
I have a ladder and it seems narrow, awkward, precarious, and I use it about 6 times a year when I need to inspect or work on the roof. I don't like going up or down because I am afraid of heights, so coming down is a nice feeling of relief that the experience is over. But it seems solid to me and I have been looking for any looseness and checking to make sure the screws stay tight. The sticker says the capacity is 300 lbs, which is good because I weigh 230. Of course the camper wiggles and shakes a bit when I am going up and down, adding to the unpleasant experience!

bsmith0404
01-24-2019, 10:10 AM
The Sprinter Limited comes with a ladder, the Campfire is a stripped down Sprinter to offer a cost saving alternative. One of the items stripped off is the ladder. I will contact my factory rep to see if I can get info on backing reinforcements and locations for a roof ladder.

BadmanRick
01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
We have a Bullet Premier Ultra Light it also does not have a rear ladder. The dealer advised there is no provision for a ladder because the roof is a NO WALK ON ROOF. I checked with Keystone and they confirmed the same thing. When the dealer works on the roof they have to disperse the weight with large boards. Keystone does not want you to walk on the roof which will void the warranty. Just saying.

bsmith0404
01-24-2019, 10:23 AM
The bullet and passport are ultra lights and have a different roof that is not walkable

It was just confirmed to me that the Sprinter Campfire and Sprinter Limited use the same wall and the dealership service department can contact Keystone to order the ladder and get installation instructions.

You just need to find a dealer that is willing to install the ladder, There are some liability concerns for dealerships installing roof ladders. I don’t know if Keystone would send the information to an owner, again probably a liability concern. Good luck.

Leatherman
01-24-2019, 10:48 AM
I have a 2018 24RKPR and my warranty ppw says specifically that if a ladder is not installed from the factory that the roof is not a full walk on roof.

Be cautious installing an aftermarket ladder. I would suspect that if you log a warranty claim with anything with the roof that they can say you damaged it.

Use a free standing ladder.

Genek
01-24-2019, 02:21 PM
As I was told the roof is of thinner construction when a “no walk zone” (no ladder is present) exists so no ladder is provided to protect them from claims. Be careful...

PSD Andy
01-25-2019, 03:22 AM
PSD Andy is it possible for you to post a picture of your ladder mounted on the back of your trailer and also please measure looking from the back of the trailer the distance from the bottom right ladder mount to the outside and bottom edge of the trailer. Thanks

I will get you that measurement this weekend. We cover it when its not used, but the back unzips and rolls up. So I shouldn't have any trouble getting that even though the cover is layered in snow up top.

66joej
01-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Don't know whether or not there are backers for a ladder on "lite" trailers but an easy way to see if your roof is safe to walk on take down trim at one of the roof vents. If the OSB/plywood is 3/8" or thicker it should be safe to walk on. My old '13 Cougar 1/2 ton series did not come with a ladder but has the thicker roof decking. I'm 225# and walk on it regularly with no problems. Been doing this for years. JMO

JimSchwenk
01-27-2019, 08:40 AM
The website does indicate that all the Sprinter Campfire trailers are "backed for rear ladder" as a standard feature. The website does not indicate where the ladder backing is located and I can't find a photo of a 29BHS with a ladder installed, so I have no idea where the backing might be. Typically Keystone Customer Service will not divulge that kind of information to customers. Don't ask me why, I can't answer that, but they will usually give the dealership service department the necessary information for them to install the ladder properly. You may need to "lean on the service manager" and use your leverage of having bought and paid for the ladder by demanding (politely and firmly) that he provide you with the instructions or install the ladder.....

This is a "more flies with honey than with vinegar" situation, but the dealer really should step up to the plate and get you the info.

We purchased a 29RB Campfire in 2016. Same thing in the brochure, built with the backing for the ladder. Oh, boy, no more having to load up a ladder every trip. It was a stock unit so when we took delivery I asked about getting the ladder installed and was told that Keystone will not provide my dealer with any diagrams or drawings which show how the thing is really constructed. They said they've never gotten info from Keystone upon request...
After multiple requests, I just dropped the issue and still keep my Harbor Freight 17 foot foldable ladder at the campsite and throw it in the truck when I hit the road. I've got far bigger fish to fry than fighting over a ladder.
My experience with this dealer and others is that talent wise they are a step down from automotive shops regarding service mangers and techs. No offense to you guys who work for dealers, but IMHO they are in the business of selling campers and making ridiculous profits, not fixing things right or keeping promises.
Fight for your warranty work and after it expires, develop a habit of figuring things out and fixing them yourself or enlist a handy buddy or nephew (and read every post on this great forum!). I have no use for dealers other than as a place to buy a TT. And as with others who post here, I love camping enough to lay out big bucks and solce my own problems.

PSD Andy
01-27-2019, 07:54 PM

Got your measurement today. The right vertical rail of the ladder is 4.25" from the sidewall of the camper, that's centered on the round tube. Couldn't get good pictures being the cover is snowed and icy so you'll have to get by with some random summer pics I had saved.

WiscTraveler
01-28-2019, 04:13 AM
Great and thanks a lot PSD Andy that will do just fine.