PDA

View Full Version : Inverter for residential fridge

daveinaz
01-16-2019, 03:37 PM
The PO of our Montana replaced the stock gas/elec fridge with an electric only residential/apartment size Magic Chef unit. Since they did not travel with it, it is set up to run only on AC. He said that I could get an inverter to plug it into when towing it.

So....I'm guessing that there should be both AC and DC wiring in the compartment which means that I just need to wire an inverter into the DC and plug the fridge into the inverter when on the road? I don't need it to switch automatically, I think I should be able to just open the compartment cover, unplug it from AC and plug it into the inverter.

And hopefully the manual for the fridge tells me how many amps I need to have on the inverter.

Is it this simple, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

PARAPTOR
01-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Yes, in general those are the parts I assume your reference to compartment is a storage area near your residential frig that would house the inverter. Not sure where that compartment is located in reference to your Batteries.

Due to the high current drain on your batteries required by these Inverters, the Inverters are generally mounted near the batteries and then the AC output is run the longer distance to the actual frig, usually to a 110 VAC plug. There are many configurations of this circuit some automatically switching the residential frig from shore power when available to the Inverter when shore power not available. Your manual method of switching the plug would be the least complex regarding wiring.

This is a pretty common question so you may want to do a search on the forum say for residential frig or Inverter to get information on the operation as well as the various wiring configurations

Yes the manual will list current/power requirement of your frig

Added: These past posts will also list normal sizes of Inverters used to support these residential frigs