PDA

View Full Version : long bed or short bed

Randallf
01-13-2019, 08:54 PM
i thinking on purchasing a new 3/4 truck to pull my fifthwheel (35 foot sprinter.)
i pull it with a 3/4 ton dodge ram long bed . The big problem is finding the truck i want to purchase. The new trucks are so spendy so i'm searching for a used one and what a surprise , they are so hard to find.
i'm working with a broker and its been 2 months , so far he can not find me 2015 -2017 3/4 ton Silverado long bed with low milage. What a night mere
With this said i'm thinking of purchasing a truck with a 6.2 bed. There seems be lots of available
I've heard short beds are not the best to pull 5th wheels with so any information would be great.
I would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks
Randy
2017 35 foot Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel

Ken / Claudia
01-13-2019, 09:13 PM
It's like this, some like chocolate ice cream and some like vanilla ice cream. I owned 2 short beds and 4 long. I am buying another long. Why I do buy plywood, 2x4s etc etc. And they are also 8 ft long. So they fit. Also more room when needed and I fill that up with camp or hunting gear yearly.

It's really what do you want not me. Both have advantages for one's needs. Last year a co worker was at a cattle auction and was looking at the pickups a RAM dealer brought to sell. He showed me a photo of a group of them and said the salesman had big discounts because no one was buying any of them. They all had different colors and cab styles, all 4x4s and all short beds. He asked me if I knew why. Yes I did they were all short beds, he asked how did I know, that is what the dealer also said. They sold out of long beds.
A another co worker just looked for weeks for a 2013 to 2015 f350 6.7 CC SRW 4x4 long bed. He could not find any and got a short bed.

GHen
01-13-2019, 10:24 PM
I have a A 6’6” short bed (Chevy) and allows me a standard 5th wheel hitch. My son has a Ram 6’ 2” bed ( I think) and he needs a slider hitch. I’m not sure how long the Ford is.
If you can avoid a heavy slider it will allow you to get it in and out by yourself.

larry337
01-14-2019, 02:41 AM
Why a 3/4 ton? Especially with a fifth wheel? The typical 3/4 ton doesn't have enough payload for a fifth wheel anyway. Open up your search to a 1-ton and I bet you have much more luck finding what you want.

Pull Toy
01-14-2019, 03:34 AM
+1 ^^^ for Larry. Plus you probably won't pay much more.

My 2016 F350 bed measures 6'9', and although I have a slider, I've never had to use it.

Good Luck,

rhagfo
01-14-2019, 06:05 AM
Why a 3/4 ton? Especially with a fifth wheel? The typical 3/4 ton doesn't have enough payload for a fifth wheel anyway. Open up your search to a 1-ton and I bet you have much more luck finding what you want.

My 2016 F350 bed measures 6'9', and although I have a slider, I've never had to use it.

Good Luck,

Ditto!!
And don't get discouraged, I searched for about six months, the last three in hard for a nice used Ram 3500 DRW, saw lots of 350/3500 SRW's your best choice. Unless you want a stripper model a 250/2500 diesel will not have much payload.
In addition do yourself a favor get a long bed 8', I have never thought of anything else. I have seen many short bed trucks pulling 5ers with dented cabs and broken rear windows.

NorskeBob
01-14-2019, 06:19 AM
I always have been a long bed fan - need it at times to haul stuff when I am towing and not towing. Short bed - get a slider hitch to be safe.

ChuckS
01-14-2019, 07:35 AM
The long bed truck with its longer wheel base is most likely a better all around choice.. 1 Ton SRW in any brand would be great.. And I’d want the diesel..but that’s me..

That being said I tow a 34 foot Alpine with a short bed 4x4 duramax... no issues. I’m at my max pin weight and I’m fine with that.. I bought a slider hitch and have never needed it in five seasons of use because my Alone has a nice front cap radius..

Be patient and you’ll find a sweet deal on your truck.

Larrystegall
01-14-2019, 07:51 AM
The auto sliders would save the cab, several brands out there now. Etrailer has some good info. Have seen them work and they seem pretty cool, have been told backing up takes a little getting used to as the turning point moves. I found a double cab long bed that looks okay and meets my wants. The crew cab long beds just don’t balance to my eye. Crew short beds look good.

Ken / Claudia
01-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Larry I totally agree with the balance in length statement. For me, that's important for the family car (Looks). In a truck the main point I use in buying is function. I want it to do the job that I ask it to do. Color is not important either unless you ask my wife. So, that I follow her lead, she wants a gray, white silver, black or maybe a dark green truck.

NotyetMHCowner
01-16-2019, 04:18 AM
I'll throw another possibility in there. I absolutely did not want a dually until a bought one. I love the way it tows and its been my daily driver for over 4 years. It is a crew cab short bed (Ford has the longest shortbed; 6'9"). If I had it to do over, I would have a F450. They have the wide track front end and have a shorter turning radius with the long bed than the short bed F350 trucks. You get the long bed, short radius for manuvering, and dual wheels for awesome stability.

rhagfo
01-16-2019, 05:28 AM
I'll throw another possibility in there. I absolutely did not want a dually until a bought one. I love the way it tows and its been my daily driver for over 4 years. It is a crew cab short bed (Ford has the longest shortbed; 6'9"). If I had it to do over, I would have a F450. They have the wide track front end and have a shorter turning radius with the long bed than the short bed F350 trucks. You get the long bed, short radius for manuvering, and dual wheels for awesome stability.

X2

Something to consider, we were moving up from a 2001 Ram 2500. It had the Camper package so very strong rear suspension, so strong that at 2,700# pin and 1,700# over GVWR we didn't need bags to be level. Well I felt that getting a newer 3500 SRW would be a lateral move so we went for a 3500 DRW.
I placed this post out there about the HUGE size difference (NOT)! Just something to consider.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36163

Fishsizzle
01-16-2019, 08:29 AM
After loads of reading, loads of conversations and experience with my set up....

If money is issue, and you don’t want to upgrade your truck again, 1 ton is minimum purchase.

Second, I have a short bed with an auto slider, love never having to worry about cab contact. But it’s heavy, I have a harbor freight jack to get in and out. (Have it for sleds and jetskis already)

I have an awesome 3/4 short bed, and I love it. But, I bought a bigger 5th wheel and now I need a bigger truck. So I will go all in on a F450 when I can afford it.

Ford and Chevy no longer make short bed duallys, (2010 was last year for Ford, but stay far away from 08-10 Ford diesels), otherwise I would look hard at one. Dodge does, I see lots of them when I’m in parks and they seem like nice rigs. I just could never own one. 😜

sarahm
01-16-2019, 12:23 PM
I have been looking for a dually truck myself. Unable to find any long beds that haven't had their guts run out. Found a nice 2012 ram 3500 Laramie longhorn short bed. Long beds just don't seen to be available in my area. Was going to post a question about the problems associated w/ short beds, and 5th wheels when I saw this thread. Other than the weight of the slider hitch. Are there any other problems w/ shorts beds? That maybe the only truck I have available. My 5th wheel is 38' w/ four slides. Will that 2012 ram pull her with out any problems? Or should I start looking in other states for a truck? Thank you for your advise. I am sooo very frustrated. Starting to think mule team.

Northofu1
01-16-2019, 01:53 PM
I was looking for gently used 2500 and 3500 GM Chevs in Ontario, no luck

Northofu1
01-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Also. I have found that (Up in Canada, anyway) that if you look for a late model to finance
you take a beating in interest. Buy new and at the right time of season it's 0% so the payments are similar only the truck is new. I priced out a 2500 sle with the same options I had, sans Navi, and it was $4k more than my 1500.
If you're paying cash, you make your own deal.

Howie
01-16-2019, 04:04 PM
I have had numerous models long and short and currently have a F350 6.7 crew short bed. Love it pulling 35' 5th. Maneuverability is better than long bed. Have Andersen 5th hitch and it is best I have ever had, no problems with turning, lightweight, and no moving parts to worry about.

Phil Saran
01-20-2019, 09:17 AM
I own a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, 4x4, 4 door, 6.5 bed, SRW, with
a B&W slider hitch.

I bought the 2012 because I did not want to deal with the DEF fluid, I did
a lot of looking for a low mileage one and mine had 46K on it when I got it
last May 2018, it now has 57K. I paid just over $40K for it.

My reason for the short bed is that it is the only one that fits into my garage
and we get snow and hail here in Colorado.

My 5th wheel trailer is 34 feet long and loaded weights about 12K.
I like having a good safety margin and so far I have not had to use the slider
hitch.

Fishsizzle
01-20-2019, 09:32 AM
I have been looking for a dually truck myself. Unable to find any long beds that haven't had their guts run out. Found a nice 2012 ram 3500 Laramie longhorn short bed. Long beds just don't seen to be available in my area. Was going to post a question about the problems associated w/ short beds, and 5th wheels when I saw this thread. Other than the weight of the slider hitch. Are there any other problems w/ shorts beds? That maybe the only truck I have available. My 5th wheel is 38' w/ four slides. Will that 2012 ram pull her with out any problems? Or should I start looking in other states for a truck? Thank you for your advise. I am sooo very frustrated. Starting to think mule team.

Comes down to Pin weight of trailer and payload of truck. That’s the starting point, then you will have to figure out your gear in the trucks and in the 5th wheel to see if you are close to the rear axle weight rating. The yellow sticker in drivers door jamb is your friend. I would imagine a 3500 SRW short bed will be close, not a lot of room for wiggle on weights. I’d love to see the door sticker on a Ram short bed duallys for kicks. Not that I’d ever get one

fjr vfr
01-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Just to clarify, these days they really have short bed trucks. It used to be either long bed or short, but now they have some 5' bed trucks, so I like to call 6' beds as standard bed.
Anyway I have a Ram 2500 standard 6'4" bed. I bought a slider hitch but have never used it. Most all of the newer 5th wheels have the rounded corners and have no problems with standard bed trucks. I like the standard bed because when not towing it's much easier to park and maneuver around in parking lots, etc. We previously had a long bed and my wife wouldn't drive it because of it's size.
Also, if I were starting over, I'd go right to the 1 ton 3500 truck. And if my 5th wheel was 35 ft or more I'd go straight to a dually. You can't have too much truck. Of course my wife wouldn't drive it. :lol:
Brand is personal choice.

Bbqguy
01-20-2019, 10:27 AM
For what it is worth, I do love my 2500 Durimax. It is a beast and has tackled 8 plus grades up and back down and has not really breathed hard. Took my Class A non commercial with it and did well with a sliding hitch. The DMV tester was impressed with the maneuverability with it and the long pay load.
I am sure some folks will say should have bought a 1 Ton. I have had a Durimax 1Ton, wich I loved a few years back, but this 2018 really out did it. I did sacrificed the stable of the dully, but it is nice to get into the parking at Home Depot better.
As some of you know, they use the same frame for the 3/4 Ton as the 1Ron, they add a leaf. I did upgrade my suspension with Temperline and after many trips work great.
I did have a non sliding hitch and after caving it the cab of my truck, did not take long to upgrade to the slider.
Again, I am sure there is some major disagreement out there and will get some " Just wait until" , but just thought I would throw out my experience.
Thank name for allowing me to be a part of this forum.

scarlson42
01-20-2019, 10:41 AM
Late to the party here, I just followed the email link. My experience is based on a 2016 F350 SRW diesel pulling a 36.5' Laredo 5th. A crew cab with a short bed is fine IF you use a slider hitch. I just upgraded to a slider after two seasons of stress inducing backing in tight spots with a non-slider. There are some truly gifted people out there who don't need a slider, but I'm not one of them. My non-slider configuration absolutely did not make it to 90 degrees in backing without hitting the cab. Just my $0.02.

slman
01-20-2019, 10:55 AM
I have a Ford 250 7.3 with a 6' 2'' bed. I would never own a long bed due the time I spend disconnected from the trailer and parking issues while shopping and being the tourist on a variety of fronts.

LERD
01-20-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm a little hesitant to add my two cents here because I know the dually police are lurking just around the corner. But I pull my 27ft Copper Canyon with a f150 supercrew shortbed. No, it's not even the max tow. Just an ecoboost with the 3.55 rear end. I have the pullrite 3100 autoslider and it all works fantastic. The camper is an 07 so I do not have the rounded front corners, so I can't quite get a full 90 degrees. But my tires and suspension are protesting long before that angle so I'm good. The bigger truck will be coming in about 4 years when I retire and we are doing more than just weekend trips. But truthfully, if I could get that same truck to a higher GCVW rating .... just saying the shortbed wouldn't scare me in the least.

ptpick
01-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Very interesting. Sounds like you have exactly what I had. 2013 Ram 2500 LB pulling my sprinter 35'. I too wanted to go to a short bed. I think going to s SB truck you might want to look at the 3500, a little bit better payload for our Sprinters. Talking with other 5vr's some have the stationary hitch with no issues, some have the sliders and others have auto sliders which is what I am going with. We cannot wait to pull with this combo. One of the reasons it to so long to get a SB is because I really wanted the AISEN transmission, awesome transmission.

SR71 Jet Mech
01-20-2019, 01:50 PM
So it seems I have the exact same setup in fiver. Check my signature. I have no problem. If I was to change it would be to go to a 4X2 dually. But same problem, I can’t find one......anywhere. I will stay with a Ram though....

jim1
01-20-2019, 03:56 PM
What about a rotating pin box? I've had 2 fifth wheels with 2 different rotating pin boxes, they work very nicely.

itat
01-20-2019, 06:07 PM
I don’t agree with those who say you absolutely need a 1 ton for a fifth wheel, however, a 3/4 ton does limit you compared to a 1 ton. Heck, lots of people pull fifth wheels with a half ton (no HD payload package) but there aren’t many 5ers light enough to be within a typical half ton’s specs so I would never do it. Up to say 11,000# a gas 3/4 ton will work unless you tow in the mountains or full time. If you want a diesel, go with a 1 ton to have a better payload number.

chuckster57
01-20-2019, 06:50 PM
You don’t “need” a 1 ton to tow a fiver, as long as the fiver you are towing is light enough. Over the course of my ownership and current career, the natural progression seems to be “go bigger” in a year or 2. So if you start with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, you might find yourself trying to trade inna 2 year old truck that has depreciated more than the balance of the loan. Start with a 1 ton if there is ANY chance of moving up to a larger unit and your not trying to juggle finances. JMO YMMV.

FWIW, I started with a 21.5’ fiver, went to 27.5’, then 36.9’ and now 30.9’.

Randallf
01-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Im glad you metioned the anderson hitch. That was my next question. i have the round cap on my sprinter and i would think a 6.6 ft box would work just fine.
However, i would like to keep my tool box. What is your thoughts ?
thanks
randy
2017 sprinter 5th wheel
washington

larryflew
01-21-2019, 06:56 AM
GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison long bed pulling 37.5 foot Alpine. I think short bed might be a bit bouncy with shorter wheel base. Truck came with slider that i have used when sharp corner backing is required. Easy to operate once you get used to it.I

I agree that the full bed doesn't look right with full crew cab bug love the look of full bed with the shorter extended cab.

JRTJH
01-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Im glad you metioned the anderson hitch. That was my next question. i have the round cap on my sprinter and i would think a 6.6 ft box would work just fine.
However, i would like to keep my tool box. What is your thoughts ?
thanks
randy
2017 sprinter 5th wheel
washington

I think you will probably be OK with a 6'6" bed and a rounded nose fifth wheel. That said, a "over the bed" style tool box that's 18" wide will effectively make the truck bed a 5' bed, about 6" shorter than the F150/RAM1500 "short bed" trucks. You won't have much clearance before the trailer hits/contacts the tool box.

An alternative is a "below the rail" or "even with the rail" tool box. That would give you the clearance for the trailer but brings with it a problem with carrying generators, 5 gallon water tanks, etc that won't fit inside the tool box. There's very little clearance behind the hitch for taller items because of the way the pinbox swings during turns.

If the reason for the tool box is "out of sight" storage, you might consider a folding/rollup bed cover??? We have a Tonno-pro tri-fold which solved that problem for us.

As for the Andersen hitch, some like it, some don't. Remember that with it, many states require safety chains. That depends on how each state law is written, so if you decide to run without safety chains, cross into a state that requires them, you'll be in violation of that state's law and could be ticketed... It gets "sticky" crossing state lines.

babaloo
01-21-2019, 09:00 AM
My initial feeling on short beds is always the same....'why would you want one ?! I'm a carpenter, so I immediately picture a 4 x 8 foot sheet of plywood or 8' 2x4's or whatever. I find the extra room is very advantageous. I can haul our 2018 Cougar 279 RKSWE 5er, with lots of spare room all around, AND haul a large cargo box up front. I have read that one needs to buy an adjustable hitch for a shortbed, so as to get the correct placement for your hookup...avoiding too far forward or rearword. They are bigger, of course. Our 2012 Dodge Duelly Diesel, which we love, (best towing MPG), is a bit of a pain in smaller parking lots, but for many uses, over time, longbeds are the best !

glendar10
01-21-2019, 05:03 PM

Good Luck,

We just bought a 2019 F250 KingRanch cab diesel and was wondering if we need a slider or not. We have never towed a fitlfth. And yes now real payload only 2028 for a 10000 lb gross.

X Navy SeaBee

JRTJH
01-21-2019, 06:32 PM
We just bought a 2019 F250 KingRanch cab diesel and was wondering if we need a slider or not. We have never towed a fitlfth. And yes now real payload only 2028 for a 10000 lb gross.

X Navy SeaBee

I have a 2015 F250 short bed crew cab diesel. Limited payload but it fits (barely) our Cougar XLite. We do NOT have a sliding hitch, I've never come close to the cab, don't feel the need for such and the "non-sliding CURT fifth wheel hitch" has served us well for two fifth wheels, first a Springdale "flat front trailer" that we could only get to about 70 degrees when backing and now this Cougar that we can easily get to "close enough that I worry about the trailer tires sliding sideways"... in other words, I can back up at greater angles than I am willing to put my rig. So, for us, the short bed F250 works with our choice of fifth wheels.

That said, if we were to buy a fifth wheel that was 2" (yes, two inches) longer and 1 pound heavier, I'd get a F350 to tow it. I feel that we're at our max pin weight with the cargo we always carry.

Randallf
01-21-2019, 08:31 PM
what about safetychains for the anderson hitch? Any problems going across the usa without them?

Brentw
01-21-2019, 08:49 PM
I've got a 3500 crew cab short box srw, tapped the cab once, turning hard and the trailer rocked thru a hole. Had to trade my trifold toneau cover for a soft roll up, wasn't enough clearance for trailer while cornering. My brothers crew cab long box dually rides better than mine.

JRTJH
01-21-2019, 08:50 PM
what about safetychains for the anderson hitch? Any problems going across the usa without them?

I think that's very much the same as asking about having insurance, a driver's license or any other item that's "required by a specific state". Unless you get stopped and checked, they likely will never know. If you do get stopped, or if something happens, then if you aren't in compliance with the laws of that state, you're open to being cited, fined, possibly having your equipment confiscated or impounded. Every state is different, every LEO has some discretion, some are lenient, some are BY THE BOOK.....

Northofu1
01-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Someone at some point in time in this forum said, Buy the trailer you want to own first, then buy the truck that can handle it with room to spare. With homework and deliberation you can figure out new/used, gas/ diesel. I personally did not do that as I'm a rookie, but I will do that next time.

Fishsizzle
01-30-2019, 11:04 AM
Someone at some point in time in this forum said, Buy the trailer you want to own first, then buy the truck that can handle it with room to spare. With homework and deliberation you can figure out new/used, gas/ diesel. I personally did not do that as I'm a rookie, but I will do that next time.

You and me both.

What is on paper for the tow guides isn’t worth even using as TP.

If you even think you will want something bigger in the future, buy the biggest truck (payload, GCVWR) you can afford. I didn’t, and while I tow fine, I want a safer ride that can haul more stuff.

jimborokz
02-07-2019, 06:14 AM
I have a short box crew cab F350. I went short for the wheel base. I seldom haul full sheets of plywood so that wasn't an issue and I don't load up alot in the box when hauling my rig. I have a slider but with the rounded nose on the new rig I only use it if I need to open the front storage hatch while hooked up. Doing it again I would likely go the a standard hitch as it's lighter to remove. I looked and looked for a late model use truck and finally decided to order one new. Anything close to new with low miles was priced pretty high. If I'm going to drop 70K I want what I want and not what the dealer wants to get off the lot.

JimSchwenk
02-07-2019, 04:36 PM
The longer the tow vehicle vs trailer length, the harder it is to maneuver and control when backing up. This is a lot easier for you 5-er guys, it's almost like a real truck with respect to the shorter pivot point.
While pulling double trailers with a single axle tractor and running the local terminal's CDL driver school for 11 years, I found that backing up a 53' trailer with one of those short cabs (just like a yard horse) was a piece of cake. Not so with a sleeper and a short "pup" trailer.
When you get to pickups and travel trailers, lots of folks have issues because your TV is almost as long as the TT in some cases. Lots of wiggling back there. But having said that, I had a 2015 2500 HD with an 8 foot bed and I'd do it again. As others have said, you got to haul stuff, too, at least I do. Dimensional lumber, drywall, plywood etc is nice when it slides right in there and the gate closes. BTW, my Allentown PA dealer had to get my truck from a dealer in Syracuse, 8' beds are scarce because of the big turning radius for the average homeowner. To each his own, as the other guys have said.

SummitPond
02-07-2019, 07:14 PM
The longer the tow vehicle vs trailer length, the harder it is to maneuver and control when backing up. ...

Long truck + short trailer = hitch receiver in front. Makes maneuvering a snap.

Probably would work with longer trailers as long as the hitch weight met specs on the receiver.

jimborokz
02-08-2019, 03:36 AM
Long truck + short trailer = hitch receiver in front. Makes maneuvering a snap.

Probably would work with longer trailers as long as the hitch weight met specs on the receiver.

where can I get that set up for my 5er?:angel::lol:

SummitPond
02-08-2019, 07:32 PM
where can I get that set up for my 5er?:angel::lol:

The ability to have this kind of setup was one of the reasons we chose a TT over a 5er. Plus it gets the campers out and about at the time we are parking interested in our antics. They all say they've never seen parking done that way before.

Mojomar1213
02-10-2019, 08:19 PM
When you go long bed you lose some towing capacity. Same with crew cab and 4x4. I learned the hard way and had to limit what 5er i bought.

Tbos
02-11-2019, 05:01 PM
When you go long bed you lose some towing capacity. Same with crew cab and 4x4. I learned the hard way and had to limit what 5er i bought.

My long bed 4x4 crew cab has a payload of 5604lbs. Someone else has a 2 wheel drive same truck and their payload is 400lbs more.

rhagfo
02-11-2019, 05:48 PM
I prefer a long bed, and that is what it is personal preference!

Mojomar1213
02-11-2019, 07:06 PM
I also prefer long bed. My 3/4 ton silverado hd duramax has payload of about 3000lbs. But because i went long bed and 4x4 with crew cab z71 package it dropped my tow rating for 5er to 12400lbs. I was shocked. It says im rated for conventional trailer at 14800 lbs. For the life of me i couldn't figure that out. Went to dealership and called manufacturer and they verified. I would just look into that before you decide, which isnt something i did.

notanlines
02-12-2019, 04:29 AM
Mojo, that's a pretty good payload for a 3/4 ton silverado hd Duramax, long bed and 4x4 with crew cab z71 package. I would have guess about 500 pounds off!