PDA

View Full Version : Cold up there??

gearhead
01-11-2019, 01:08 PM
This morning here in the Houston area was bit cool. Thought we may have had a frost but didn't see any. Turned out a very nice day with lots of sun, maybe 65F. Shorts and T shirt weather. I was reading the thread about how cold it was in Michigan and whether or not you should leave your car out.
I almost have the Bigfoot packed for The Chili Bowl in Tulsa. (midget races indoors). Took a break from that and worked in my raised bed garden. Thinking what I'll plant later. Slipped my snake boots on and did a little project I've been meaning to do a long time...put a length of PVC pipe in the ground on the river side of the levee and marked it off in 1 ft, increments. Now I'll know how much "freeboard" I'll have before I'm flooded. Pittled around a bit more and decided I'd pick a satsuma and eat that while wandering along the back fence. So I'm walking along the fence staring at the sky, throwing satsuma rind over the fence. Something seemed a bit off. I look through the chain link fence and there lying in the sun is a 4 foot long GATOR. Hmmm....I guess the fence will keep him off me. He figured something was wrong about when I did and flew off the levee into the river. I'm thinking glad I don't have a dog or the gator might find a way under the fence. You think I ought to warn the neighbor...you know the ones that have the dogs that bark ALL the time?
Naaa

Tbos
01-11-2019, 06:42 PM
You’re rubbing it in. [emoji23] We are expecting snow here in MD this weekend.

fourfourto
01-11-2019, 07:19 PM
5 degrees here:eek:

gearhead
01-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Yeah, rubbing it in a little. But our summers are about as miserable as y'alls winters. Headed your way in a couple months...Northern Neck of Virginia.
You have an opinion of Westmoreland State Park vs. Belle Isle?

gearhead
01-11-2019, 07:26 PM
5 degrees here:eek:
5? You're a better man than me. I'm dreading 25 in Tulsa next week.

hornet28
01-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Not bad here in West Michigan. Had temps in the 40's this past week. We now have about an inch of snow and that came Wed.

Tbos
01-11-2019, 08:54 PM
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to West Moreland. At that time they didn’t have full hookups. I’ve never been to Belle Isle.

gearhead
01-12-2019, 05:41 AM
^^^ 10-4 Thanks

kjohn
01-18-2019, 07:23 PM
-29° C here Friday morning. I had to put a t-shirt on to avoid sun burn... ;)
Lucky, no wind. I have worked many days outside in 40° F below, sometimes with a wind blowing. Not in the plan these days.

77cruiser
01-19-2019, 12:43 PM
-38 this morning Rocky & Bullwinkle were shivering.

Frank G
01-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Cooled off a bit, down to 72*F AC just kicked off.

sourdough
01-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Well, it's 67 here right now. Been sitting in the Clam while grilling some ribeyes and shrimp. Got me a chocolate cake and some ice cream to follow up. Pretty nice:)

I feel for those stuck in the snow. I know some really like it...and we used to, but, my days of trying to stay warm in it are over; not to mention shoveling stairs, drives, roads etc. Got enough bone breaks, bone repairs, arthritis etc. that the cold makes things "not fun". Now, to get that mountain house sold.....

JRTJH
01-21-2019, 06:42 AM
We woke up this morning about 7, decided to stay in bed a bit longer, pulled up the covers and slept until about 9. When we did get up, the thermometer on the pole barn showed -20F and the indoor/outdoor confirmed that it's a wee bit too cold to have been in the Cougar.....

Frank G
01-21-2019, 07:42 AM
John, over at Lakes of the North airport, the thermometer was showing -28. I believe that is a official weather station. I did not check Gaylord or Antrim County airports. We fly into 4Y4 all of the time.

JRTJH
01-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Frank, I don't know what it was before dawn or from sunrise to 9AM when I took those photos. The sun has been shining all morning and it's up to +2 on the pole barn.... No matter, it's too cold to be outside cooking bacon under the awning :eek:

Honestly, even if the propane tank could deliver enough gas to keep the grill going, this "young southern lad" ain't gonna be outside in that for any reason except to steal the brandy flask from around a Saint Bernard's neck :angel:

We're planning to head south around the end of February (if we can get the pole barn open) with the slingshot behind the fifth wheel. Hopefully we can find some "above 60F weather" and get a early start on some open air riding.....

Frank G
01-21-2019, 10:17 AM
I saw that at 7:30 this morning. Several decades ago we tried to start our snowmobiling adventure at 15 below. Amazingly the machines started up but we didn't get far, hot chocolate and donuts for all. We were at Haughton Lake that trip.

itat
01-21-2019, 10:45 AM
It was -31°C (-23°F) here overnight. The water's fine...bring your skates.

The block heater worked great and the truck started without a whimper this morning. Glad I'm working inside today!

shermris
01-21-2019, 03:17 PM
-45 at Seagull Lake at the end of the Gunflint Trail in Minnesota Sunday, (wind chill was -60 something).

Frank G
01-21-2019, 04:07 PM
-45 at Seagull Lake at the end of the Gunflint Trail in Minnesota Sunday, (wind chill was -60 something).

:nonono::nonono:and:nonono: