PDA

View Full Version : Frameless Windows ?

sandy43
01-09-2019, 05:39 PM
I've read on this forum most everything on frameless windows. My question is: What do the tech people as well as those that have them think about this type of window? Are they easily replaced if broken? Are they more expensive than the standard type? Any and all comments about this type of window is greatly appreciated. My new RV has these and I'm trying really hard to like them. But......

Gegrad
01-09-2019, 05:45 PM
I love mine. Easy to open and close, seem to work perfectly. Look smooth as silk and very high end.

sourdough
01-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Sandy, do you have a concern with them? You state that "you are trying really hard to like them". I have them and like the cleaner look, just wish they were all double pane. I have no idea about ease of replacement or cost but I've never had an RV window break..... Can't see how replacing would be that more difficult if any.

sandy43
01-09-2019, 05:58 PM
I do like the looks. My concern is if one gets broken, can I replace it myself? Over the past many years I've had 2 broken windows. The first unknown how it broke, the 2nd was with a weed eater throwing rocks. Never had this type of window before. Their lies my concern, it's new to me.

P.S. sourdough, where in west TX are you? I travel to Abilene and Lubbock quit often.

sourdough
01-09-2019, 06:01 PM
I'm sure we will have someone that has worked thru that respond. I've not.

chuckster57
01-09-2019, 07:39 PM
We replace the entire window. No harder than standard window, same ring and screws.

I personally don’t like them as they only open on the bottom and don’t open very far. If you don’t close them tight that’s when the problems arise as you drive down the road.

JRTJH
01-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Frameless windows are not really frameless. The glass is not "IN" a frame, but is glued "TO" a frame. The same compression ring is used inside to pull the outer section of the window tight against the trailer sidewall. In "old style frame windows" there is an aluminum flange that seals against the trailer. In "frameless windows" there is a glass flange (the window) that seals against the trailer sidewall. Otherwise, they are "fairly similar"....

The only "big difference" I've seen is that you can't replace a broken glass section, since the glass is "glued to the frame" you must replace the entire structure. Otherwise, upkeep, cleaning, maintenance is about the same.

chuckster57
01-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Actually there is a metal flange on both sides. I have replaced a few, currently getting a 43’ fiver with 5 slides ready. Has numerous “frameless” windows. I’ll upload a pic in the morning.

sourdough
01-09-2019, 08:54 PM
I do like the looks. My concern is if one gets broken, can I replace it myself? Over the past many years I've had 2 broken windows. The first unknown how it broke, the 2nd was with a weed eater throwing rocks. Never had this type of window before. Their lies my concern, it's new to me.

P.S. sourdough, where in west TX are you? I travel to Abilene and Lubbock quit often.

I'm in a little place called Lamesa, TX. About 60 miles S of Lubbock, 55 miles N of Midland and about 2 1/2 hours from Abilene. My work involved a lot of travel through all those places and loved overnites in Lubbock and Abilene.

chuckster57
01-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Pics as promised. First is looking from inside. Second shows D seal that the glass seals against

sandy43
01-10-2019, 04:18 PM
I'm in a little place called Lamesa, TX. About 60 miles S of Lubbock, 55 miles N of Midland and about 2 1/2 hours from Abilene. My work involved a lot of travel through all those places and loved overnites in Lubbock and Abilene.

Very familiar with Lamesa. My uncle farms cotton in Ropesville. My daughter went to TT. Abilene is where all my grand children live. Possibly some day we might meet up.

Howie
01-17-2019, 08:29 AM
We love ours as it is the second RV that we have had them. The last one suffered a broken window due to the idiot driving the tow vehicle. Really simple repair, tech measured window, had it cut and installed in minutes. We really like the way they open as you don't have to worry if it rains and they are left open.

ChrisM
01-17-2019, 08:33 AM
I like look of Frameless windows however I've read many times they are more prone to leaks or other failures. Also that dual-pane frameless have a higher failure rate due to the weight of the outer-glass hanging by the seal to the inner-glass and shear force over time causes a problem. Lastly that a cracked glass pane requires replacing the whole window in many cases. None of these are my personal experience just what I've read but they seemed to make sense to me.

sgrol
01-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Have em, like em and Gig 'em.

mikec557
01-17-2019, 05:48 PM
I've read on this forum most everything on frameless windows. My question is: What do the tech people as well as those that have them think about this type of window? Are they easily replaced if broken? Are they more expensive than the standard type? Any and all comments about this type of window is greatly appreciated. My new RV has these and I'm trying really hard to like them. But......

Well, here's my take. At first I liked them. On our first TT almost every window was a frameless. We spent a very hot summer where we could not run the a/c. The frameless windows did not open up very wide and very little breeze came in. So at that point I didn't like them. Only had that TT about 6 months. We switched to a 5er and most the windows open slid vertically or horizontally. We now have much better ventilation. But then we moved through Texas and other Southern states during high heat, high humidity, and heavy rain. Emphasis on heavy rain. Guess what. The frameless windows do not let rain in, the sliders do ... All the sliders have to be closed for the rain. Now I miss the frameless. I guess that's a long way of saying, each has its benefits and draw backs...

sourdough
01-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Well, here's my take. At first I liked them. On our first TT almost every window was a frameless. We spent a very hot summer where we could not run the a/c. The frameless windows did not open up very wide and very little breeze came in. So at that point I didn't like them. Only had that TT about 6 months. We switched to a 5er and most the windows open slid vertically or horizontally. We now have much better ventilation. But then we moved through Texas and other Southern states during high heat, high humidity, and heavy rain. Emphasis on heavy rain. Guess what. The frameless windows do not let rain in, the sliders do ... All the sliders have to be closed for the rain. Now I miss the frameless. I guess that's a long way of saying, each has its benefits and draw backs...

You are spot on. I used to have the "sliding" windows. More air flow but no way was I going to leave and leave them open in any kind of iffy weather; frameless? Leave them open all the time with no worries. For us, the frameless offers us better options than the regular slide windows....if there are issues I can turn the fan or AC on....:)

babaloo
01-18-2019, 09:29 AM
Mornin...When I bought our 2018 Keystone Cougar, 29rkswe, the model came in 2 diferent styles. One was a newer 20th anniversary model with several 'upgrades', from the earlier 2018 models of same 5er. The 2oth anniversary edition had non-frameless windows, i.e. standard rubber gasquet. The salesmen told us Keystone had gone back to the non-frameless windows because the frameless ones broke easier and only opened a small amount, and sometimes pop-out !.
Anyway, that is what we we're told, and are happy with our framed windows which will open to any desired amount. Visually, the frameless windows, with their raw glass edge, seem a bit vulnerable to me....just my thoughts.

Theoldroaddog
01-27-2019, 04:12 PM
I have a Impact 361 which has the frameless windows. I have broken a window, took it out and contacted the window manufacturer for a replacement. It would cost $400.00 plus shipping. Also would take 4 weeks. I took the broken window to a local glass shop. Since the frame was not bent they were able to replace it. Cost was $225.00 and I had it back on the trailer in three days.

BAPotter
05-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Chuck, I know this is an old thread but my question is, can I replace the frameless with slider/frame windows? I only camp at high altitude with no air conditioning and need good cross breeze. It would be worth the cost to me if I don't need to modify the sidewall opening. I'm looking at new rigs and need to know if this is an option for me.

chuckster57
05-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Chuck, I know this is an old thread but my question is, can I replace the frameless with slider/frame windows? I only camp at high altitude with no air conditioning and need good cross breeze. It would be worth the cost to me if I don't need to modify the sidewall opening. I'm looking at new rigs and need to know if this is an option for me.

The window is held in place by the screws through the “ring” on the inside. If you can find sliding windows that fit that opening, then I would say yes. The sliding window frame dimensions would have to be pretty much exactly the same as the frameless.

JRTJH
05-11-2020, 01:39 PM
The biggest issue that I see with changing "frameless windows" for "frame type windows" is the radius curves in the corners of each different frame type. You'll need to find windows with a "outside flange" that will cover the radius cutout of the frameless windows. Typically, the frameless windows have a larger flange (glass + aluminum frame) than the flange on the "conventional windows".. When you take a "deeper or shallower radius" and couple that with a smaller outside flange, many of the "conventional windows" that measure the same size won't have a flange that completely covers the corner radius of the trailer cutout opening....

In other words, on many types of windows, if you switch the style of window, the new ones either won't fit the corner radius or the radius is too big for the new windows, even though they measure the "exact same size" as the ones you took out.

Wyldfire
05-11-2020, 02:53 PM
Love the looks, hated them after the first hot day evening. No cross ventilation. Camper would not cool off unless the doors were left open. Installed 2 max air fans and now tolerable can use the fans ot suck air through the frame-less windows and cool trailer off.

sourdough
05-11-2020, 03:43 PM
Yes, the frameless windows radius is different and from looking I suspect the cutout is different as well. That may take some doing to "undo".

As far as frameless (love the look) vs standard windows; the frameless look nicer to me but the reality is they provide very little airflow due to the small openings they provide. That wasn't really a big thing to us initially but over time, when you have to turn on the AC on a cool day because you can't get any flow through those little gun turret slits....we became fans of the standard sliding windows again.

DBTexas
06-28-2020, 06:11 PM
On this subject of frameless windows, I'm not sure if I should pick up on this thread or start a new question. I'll ask my question here, and let me know if this should be a separate post.

Last Saturday evening I was sitting outside under my awning when one of my living room windows exploded outward in thousand tiny pieces. At first I thought it had taken a gunshot. But I hadn't heard a shot, and I saw the screen fully intact ... which thankfully prevented the myriad of glass particles from going inside. And as I was sitting right outside the trailer (thankfully not right under the window), I did not notice anything striking the window.

Has anyone experience such an explosive window failure? And what would cause it?

To further the bad news, the RV dealer says nearly all RV window glass comes from China and is now taking nearly 2 months to fill an order. Ughhhh....

Howie
06-29-2020, 04:27 AM
I had success last year with a window that broke by contacting a local glass company. They came to RV, measured, ordered and replaced the window in a couple of days.

JRTJH
06-29-2020, 05:00 AM
If the order/delivery time is excessive, you can buy a 1/8" thick lexan sheet from Lowe's, mark the lexan by placing it on the trailer side, cut the lexan, remove the existing window frame and use a good adhesive to attach the lexan to the frame, let it dry for a day, reinstall the window as a temporary measure until the replacement arrives.

Whitewolf
06-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Apparently we have the best of both worlds. All the windows are frameless with the exception of the end window in the main slide and the bedroom. Those are vertical slides.

DMK
06-30-2020, 05:58 AM
I can tell you about a recent experience I have had replacing a broken window. Kinro the company that originally made the frameless windows for my 2013 Raptor was acquired by LCI. Nobody stocks these windows, they are made to order. Having a VIN doesn't do any good, to know the exact window to have made you need to pull the old window assembly out and find the label with the part number on the frame (you need to pull the assembly to see the info as it's on the inside) that's unfortunately the RV industry for you. By the way It took approx 30 days to get the window assy after being ordered. In my case the window had shattered and I was able to use packaging tape to hold it together until the new one arrived.

Gizmo’s mom
05-17-2021, 04:56 AM
We love ours as it is the second RV that we have had them. The last one suffered a broken window due to the idiot driving the tow vehicle. Really simple repair, tech measured window, had it cut and installed in minutes. We really like the way they open as you don't have to worry if it rains and they are left open.

Hi Howie, by chance was that tech here in Or? We just broke a window and need to replace it today if possible since it’s supposed to rain tomorrow possibly. Ugh!

Howie
05-17-2021, 05:52 AM
Hi, yes it was in Oregon City but I think the company is probably listed in Portland but not sure. I believe it was King Glass or similar name. I don't have a receipt to verify but King rings a bell as part of the name. Hope that helps.

agatehunter
05-17-2021, 02:33 PM
Hello sandy43, my old 5th wheel, manufacturer will remain anonymous, had the and I detested them. They don't open far enough to get any type of breeze flowing. My other dealer sent to people that I'm aware of to a auto body shop for repairs. We dry camp about 90% of the time so it is hard to close everything up and turn on the AC. We are really glad our 2021 Keystone Sprinter 30rl has the old style windows. That being said it wouldn't have been a deal breaker though.