PDA

View Full Version : Big family from VA

ogdroidnoid
01-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Greetings,

Tim from Virginia, we just put a contract on a 2018 Passport 217EXP, we have a Ford E350 XLT and 6 kids; 13, 11, 9, 7, 5 and 6 months. We have zero experience RVing but plenty of camping experience, we have a trip planned from Virginia to Colorado in late May, planning to average about 375 miles on driving days. Any suggestions for maintaining sanity with such a large crew would be greatly appreciated.:)

flybouy
01-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Welcome from Maryland! Good luck on 375 miles/day with a crew that large. I can imagine frequent restroom stops. Plan some extra time so as not to feel to "rushed" or pressured to push too hard. Driving while towing is much more stressful than not towing. I'd suggest some shorter trips before embarking on a journey 2/3 the way across the continent.

ogdroidnoid
01-07-2019, 12:08 PM
it's going to be an adventure for sure, hopefully by then the novelty of going potty in the trailer will have worn off, they all travel really well except the baby, she is the great unknown lol

travelin texans
01-07-2019, 12:08 PM
That 375 miles is approximately 7 hours driving, if you average 50 miles an hour you be doing fairly well with that large of crew. If that E350 has the V10 you'll also have frequent fuel stops as well, 8 mpg if your right foot is not too heavy.

flybouy
01-07-2019, 12:45 PM
it's going to be an adventure for sure, hopefully by then the novelty of going potty in the trailer will have worn off, they all travel really well except the baby, she is the great unknown lol

However often the baby requires a diaper change, or being fed, or cries and needs to be held at home will be a stop on the road.

ogdroidnoid
01-07-2019, 01:17 PM
perhaps that is a little too ambitious, I've tweaked my plan a little and gotten it down to 288 average per driving day. :D

14george
01-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the fourm from Wv congrats

Chris P
01-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, I have to agree that kinda mileage with your crew and first towing may be much, Good luck keep us posted and don't forget pics.

Gegrad
01-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Welcome from North Carolina. Since you are new to it, you may check out the KOA in Fredericksburg. We have gone there a few times (though not in the last year+) and found it to be a friendly place to stay.

Northofu1
01-08-2019, 03:45 AM
:wlcm: from Toronto
Nice family, I have 4 grown kids, miss the chaos. :D
Small handheld gaming devices, a DVD player in truck, headphones for all. Do people sing along or play I spy on road trips anymore? Google road side attractions along your route, you might get lucky. Safe travels, as Chris P mentioned, post pics :)
Enjoy

wiredgeorge
01-08-2019, 07:25 AM
Welcome! I have a kiddo with three grandbabies and a hubby in F-burg. Nice town but getting a bit crowded. We probably need to start taking bets on the 288 miles a day; perhaps you have never gone on a trip with daughters? I had three (plus the missus) and I needed to allow for a pit stop about every 20 miles if memory serves. They couldn't seem to synchronize things bwhahahaha well, it will be fun. Traveling with kids is always great fun and they will tell tall tales of this trip years after it dims in Mom and Dad's memories!

ogdroidnoid
01-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Most definitely, we've gotten most of the kids interested in Podcasts and Audiobooks.

Plenty of pics I promise, I've got tons of camera gear that will be cutting into my GVWR allowance. :)