PDA

View Full Version : Sewer Hose Kit Recommendations

TN Traveler
01-05-2019, 06:58 AM
I need a new sewer hose and I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get one of the kits with new ends, etc.

We will likely use our Cougar full time for a few months in this new year and, overall, we hope to use our RV a lot this year.

15 feet? 20 feet? Clear elbows? Brands? What to stay away from? Recommendations please.

chuckster57
01-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Sewer hose kits come in a variety of lengths and prices. Clear end is always nice when flushing the black tank. I think it comes down to personal preference, only real recommendation I would have is some type of support to keep the hose flowing correctly and off the ground.

Canonman
01-05-2019, 07:18 AM
We bought the good old standard Rino Flex at Wally World. 15' works most of the time but also picked up a 10' extension and have needed it only twice in 5 years. The semi clear elbow comes standard and lets me see all I need to:)
You can spend a lot more, but we've had no problems. We keep it stored in the bumper and only pull it out to dump, usually as we leave to travel to the next destination so sun deterioration isn't an issue.

JRTJH
01-05-2019, 07:32 AM
If you do the "fence post cover sewer hose storage", you can use the "gutter drawer" as a support. It's only about 7.5' long, but is usually enough to support and cradle the sewer hose to the campground connection. If you haven't done, or don't plan to do the mod, then something like the CAMCO Sidewinder for around $30 would work well.

The CAMCO Revolution sewer hose kit I have is about 5 years old, is two 10' hoses with end caps (stores dry and compressed with the caps on) has a "clear" (actually cloudy clear) fitting that connects to the campground sewer fitting. There are multiple terminal styles on the 90 degree adapter and will adapt to almost any campground sewer outlet. It will give you the versatility to use a single 10' section (very often all you'll need) or connect the two together if you need more. You can buy two kits (I have two) to allow for up to 40' of sewer hose if needed. I rotate my hoses so they wear evenly and expect them to last several more years before replacement.

There are some "advertised as more durable" and some "priced way higher" kits available. I can't say they're any better or worse. I bought these at WalMart when we bought the Cougar and haven't looked back. They are still available at WalMart, so buying replacements or parts locally should remain an option.

sourdough
01-05-2019, 09:34 AM
We bought the good old standard Rino Flex at Wally World. 15' works most of the time but also picked up a 10' extension and have needed it only twice in 5 years. The semi clear elbow comes standard and lets me see all I need to:)
You can spend a lot more, but we've had no problems. We keep it stored in the bumper and only pull it out to dump, usually as we leave to travel to the next destination so sun deterioration isn't an issue.

We use the same as Canonman with the exception of a clear elbow vs semi clear. The semi makes you guess when water flow has completely stopped or is completely clear vs the completely clear elbow - no guessing. We have one campground that requires the extension depending on which site you get and have used our extension once, but, when you need it, you need it.

We also use the little accordion looking graded support for the sewer hose. Many locations have sites that are less than optimal for draining the hose, the support eliminates that. Earlier this year we had a guy set up behind us and just threw his sewer hose on the ground. It was uphill all the way to the sewer drain; he had it laying over a piece of 4x4, coiled up in one location and obviously it had a large "uphill" section as it went to the L that went into the sewer trap. I observed him trying to dump about the 2nd time looking it over like he had a problem. Then he was picking up the hose from the trap end and it was obviously full. Pulled it up (back toward the trailer), put it down, scratched his head, then started at the drain exit at the trailer and got it emptied. I went out and asked if he needed help; he said no - he had it but his hose must be stopped up. I pointed out his hose would never drain the way it was routed and suggested the little accordion support like we had. He said "Oh, I wondered what that was for"......:)

Happy Dad
01-05-2019, 11:00 AM
The hose that came with our trailer ends up looking like a snake when I dump, lol.

Are the aftermarket hoses less prone to this? We do use a sewer frame support but the factory hose just jumped right out of it. The second time I even tried to open the valve slowly but it sill ended up turning into a snake.

Frank G
01-05-2019, 11:02 AM
X3 for the Rino-Flex with a clear elbow and a accordion support.

xrated
01-05-2019, 12:29 PM
I bought the Valterra 20' Viper with the clear end 90 degree fitting and also the Camco Sidewinder support for the hose. I've done the under the trailer mod using the 5" vinyl fence post with a 4" vinyl gutter that fits inside of it....end caps on both pieces and lockable with small locks on the hasps. The Sidewinder stores in a fairly small plastic container to keep things clean....

https://i.imgur.com/JM1qtho.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rfeO1r0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3YAxvMI.jpg

Since the gas line ran along the trailer on the street side, I had to space the mounting down to go across the trailer with the vinyl fence post carrier....I used a couple of pieces of Unistrut....pictured here
https://i.imgur.com/Zk7dD55.jpg

sourdough
01-05-2019, 01:57 PM
The hose that came with our trailer ends up looking like a snake when I dump, lol.

Are the aftermarket hoses less prone to this? We do use a sewer frame support but the factory hose just jumped right out of it. The second time I even tried to open the valve slowly but it sill ended up turning into a snake.

Others may have a different experience but mine has never jumped or moved when I dump the tanks. Maybe a difference in the type of hoses (construction)?

bobbecky
01-05-2019, 07:33 PM

All sewer hoses are 'aftermarket'. Keystone does not supply hoses or fittings, so your dealer probably included some basic stuff with your rig when you bought it. Just like most things, most of the time the more you pay, the better quality you get. Sometimes, even the higher priced parts are poorly made and leak where the cheaper stuff may last years, so it's all just luck sometimes.

travelin texans
01-05-2019, 07:45 PM
All sewer hoses are 'aftermarket'. Keystone does not supply hoses or fittings, so your dealer probably included some basic stuff with your rig when you bought it. Just like most things, most of the time the more you pay, the better quality you get. Sometimes, even the higher priced parts are poorly made and leak where the cheaper stuff may last years, so it's all just luck sometimes.

Agree! The water hose with the so-called regulator & sewer hose your dealer most likely threw in on the deal are probably the cheapest you could buy anywhere.
I also prefer the Viper sewer hose over the Rhino, just as tough but more flexible & not as big of ends. And prefer the clear 90 or 45 degree fitting.

77cruiser
01-06-2019, 07:26 AM
I bought the Valterra 20' Viper with the clear end 90 degree fitting and also the Camco Sidewinder support for the hose. I've done the under the trailer mod using the 5" vinyl fence post with a 4" vinyl gutter that fits inside of it....end caps on both pieces and lockable with small locks on the hasps. The Sidewinder stores in a fairly small plastic container to keep things clean....

https://i.imgur.com/JM1qtho.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rfeO1r0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3YAxvMI.jpg

Since the gas line ran along the trailer on the street side, I had to space the mounting down to go across the trailer with the vinyl fence post carrier....I used a couple of pieces of Unistrut....pictured here
https://i.imgur.com/Zk7dD55.jpg

That's slick thanks for the pics, now I'm going have to make one.

xrated
01-06-2019, 11:10 AM
That's slick thanks for the pics, now I'm going have to make one.

Thank You.....the only thing I'm thinking about doing is painting it black to kind of match the area it's mounted in. The white kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Qwerty
01-10-2019, 09:44 AM
I'd like to draw everyone's attention to this video I cropped. The reason is self-evident & I'd encourage folks to the view this wonderfully instructive video in its entirety.

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/df5c3783217f7c4

daveinaz
01-10-2019, 11:20 AM
The Revolution hoses seem to be pretty good. Like others, I tend to buy in the middle of the price range.

The "kit" that the dealer gives tends to be junk! When we got our motorhome years ago, the dealer gave us a "starter kit" which included a sewer hose. We took the motorhome to our house to go over it and get it ready for the road. We cleaned out all the tanks. Our black tank was filled with hot soapy water. I got ready to empty it and hooked up the "complimentary" sewer hose. I would describe its quality as looking like someone stretched a condom over a slinky. But I hooked it up and pulled the valve. Fluid started flowing through the hose. First there was a small pin prick leak, then another one, then a few of them. Suddenly the hose ruptured completely covering me in hot soapy water. Fortunately, it was hot soapy water and not cold liquified poop!

I was just glad that it happened the way it did, in our driveway with soapy water as opposed to poop in the campground. I was angry, but not as angry as I would have been if the latter had happened.

So, my moral of the story is, you get what you pay for and don't go cheap on a sewer hose...

shermris
01-10-2019, 03:28 PM
I have a 15 foot and a 10 foot and use the one that fits best. I also have a coupler and could make a 25 foot, (which I've never needed to do). I have a clear fitting on both ends and also use a hose support to provide a drain angle. I've always used Rhio-Flex hoses and never had any problem, although I've heard some people say they've had hoses blow apart at the end connections.

fourfourto
01-10-2019, 05:03 PM
I'd like to draw everyone's attention to this video I cropped. The reason is self-evident & I'd encourage folks to the view this wonderfully instructive video in its entirety.

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/df5c3783217f7c4

Original video 25 min don't have time,:facepalm:
I can tell you that when you curve the clear angle fitting up it will work ,I also loop up hose on small tripod foldable seat. .
works for me :D

TN Traveler
01-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

mtofell
01-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Get rid of the stinky slinky and dump through a garden hose with a macerator. After 20 years of RVing I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. $200 and I'll never touch another 3" hose. I can run the hose to the sewer cleanout at my house so no more waiting at dump stations on Sunday, no more making the kids "hold it" until we get home after dumping. When I'm out camping now I usually just attach the hose and drain gray, then deal with the black once I'm at home. If I need to dump black it's super quick. Just attach the macerator and empty. I still keep a slinky in my bumper just in case but I can't imagine ever using it again. 40K for a truck, 35K for an RV. $200 to make dealing with my poop 1/20 the effort it was before is a no-brainer.

JRTJH
01-11-2019, 06:54 AM
Get rid of the stinky slinky and dump through a garden hose with a macerator. .... I still keep a slinky in my bumper just in case but I can't imagine ever using it again....

One problem with using a macerator at every dump is the loss of "volume and rapid flow" through the sewer hose. While the convenience of a macerator can't be easily beat, it does open the potential for solids to not be "picked up by the rapid flow" provided in a 3" sewer hose. You may find that flushing and filling the tank with the "benefit" of rapid evacuation does have merit.

I'm not criticizing your process, just commenting that using a macerator all the time doesn't keep the tank "fully evacuated".....

mtofell
01-11-2019, 10:39 AM
One problem with using a macerator at every dump is the loss of "volume and rapid flow" through the sewer hose. While the convenience of a macerator can't be easily beat, it does open the potential for solids to not be "picked up by the rapid flow" provided in a 3" sewer hose. You may find that flushing and filling the tank with the "benefit" of rapid evacuation does have merit.

I'm not criticizing your process, just commenting that using a macerator all the time doesn't keep the tank "fully evacuated".....

Yes, this is true. But I also found it to be a problem with the slinky. It may just be the design of my RV but I really have a hard time getting the solids out. I got a clear fitting and when dumping I leave the sink in my outdoor kitchen running (drains to black tank). I just dump, wait 5 minutes, dump, etc. until the water runs clean for a long time. I really hate how much water I have to use. The macerator is nice in that I just hang the button on the side of the RV and while packing up I just circle by every 5 minutes and run it.

I'm amazed at how long some of the solids will hang on. I've also used a soup pot to dump several gallons quickly into the toilet to dislodge things and found that works pretty well.

Whatever method people use, finding a way to screw around with all this at home (or at least not while people are waiting behind you at the dump station) is key. My main motivation for the macerator was to allow dumping at home. That is just amazing compared to being at the mercy of dump stations or sites with full hookups. During the winter my kids like to "camp out" in the driveway sometimes and being able to fully "use" the RV at home is a game changer.

jimborokz
01-12-2019, 05:38 AM
First thing I did was throw the dealers hose kit in the garbage as it was junk,(never even tried it). Bought a Rino kit with the 10' extension. Now we have a winter home base in the south at our daughters and had to run pipe about 200' down a grade to the septic tank. Elected to run 1.5" pipe and got a Valterra SS25 Sewer Solution. This set up works great for us. Us a clear pipe at the RV and run the black tank flush till it runs clear. When we go out on trips and stay at RV parks I use the rino to get a good rapid flush from the tank. I use the "Calgon and Dawn" Eco tank treatment and have never had any problems with tank sensors. The sewer solution system also allows me to dump at home if I need to so we get to use our private bathroom on the four day trip we make home in the spring.

jimborokz
01-12-2019, 05:42 AM
Make that the SS01 system. The SS25 is the hose extension I use at home.

CaptnJohn
01-14-2019, 07:48 AM
I have the Rhino system and it has worked great for years. That is not my problem. My problem is I broke my back in 1968 which now causes problems with my legs. When I get home in the spring I may go to the Drain Master system to eliminate the bayonet system. The cam lock seems to be easier and more secure. I wish I could install the system permanently but would be too low without major plumbing mods.

jimborokz
01-14-2019, 08:09 AM
I have the Rhino system and it has worked great for years. That is not my problem. My problem is I broke my back in 1968 which now causes problems with my legs. When I get home in the spring I may go to the Drain Master system to eliminate the bayonet system. The cam lock seems to be easier and more secure. I wish I could install the system permanently but would be too low without major plumbing mods.
My family ran a septic cleaning business for many years and I can testify the cam lock system is far superior to the bayonet.

CaptnJohn
01-14-2019, 02:34 PM
My family ran a septic cleaning business for many years and I can testify the cam lock system is far superior to the bayonet.

Thank you for the reply. I think it will be easier to connect/disconnect as well. It is tough getting down and tougher getting up after reaching and twisting the bayonet connector. Everything else is easy today compared to decades ago so that job should be as well.

LHaven
05-10-2019, 10:25 AM
We use the same as Canonman with the exception of a clear elbow vs semi clear. The semi makes you guess when water flow has completely stopped or is completely clear vs the completely clear elbow - no guessing.

Well, my semi-clear elbow was clear when I bought it... :o

jimborokz
05-11-2019, 02:34 AM
Thank you for the reply. I think it will be easier to connect/disconnect as well. It is tough getting down and tougher getting up after reaching and twisting the bayonet connector. Everything else is easy today compared to decades ago so that job should be as well.
John, I may change to the cam lock this year. Arthritis makes it very difficult to twist it on and off to the extent I had to buy a set of Camco wrenches and it's still a struggle.

Preyou
05-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Where can I get the map of the USA in your signature block. I have looked all over.

Thanks

MiMartin
05-12-2019, 07:53 PM
http://visitedstatesmap.com/

ctbruce
05-13-2019, 02:26 AM
http://visitedstatesmap.com/Then upload it from the forum webpage using the CP menu.