PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

Fishsizzle
12-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Good morn!

With the new year just a few days away, it’s time to get into shape. Beyond food, which I think we all know what’s good for us, is exercise.

Looking to try something new, I stumbled upon TRX. Seems simple, and can take it on the road. Anyone use this system? If so, do you take it with you?

JRTJH
12-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Good morn!

With the new year just a few days away, it’s time to get into shape. Beyond food, which I think we all know what’s good for us, is exercise.

Looking to try something new, I stumbled upon TRX. Seems simple, and can take it on the road. Anyone use this system? If so, do you take it with you?

This almost sounds like a "new year's resolution" in the making..... While I have no experience with the TRX system, I have lots of experience with "breaking resolutions on January 3rd"..... My vote would be to save the money and spend it on Applebee's gift cards..... You know you really want to try their new appetizer menu :popcorn:

roadglide
12-29-2018, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=JRTJH;320230]This almost sounds like a "new year's resolution" in the making..... While I have no experience with the TRX system, I have lots of experience with "breaking resolutions on January 3rd"..... My vote would be to save the money and spend it on Applebee's gift cards..... You know you really want to try their new appetizer menu :popcorn:[/QUOTE. That attitude belongs to my rv buddy Tyler where going to meet in quartzsite. A lot of carrots ,stretch band and a few set ups goes along way .

sourdough
12-29-2018, 08:28 AM
I have no experience with the TRX system either but I do with New Years resolutions; usually unsuccessful. This year however, in an effort to increase my exercise, I have resolved to buy a 2nd koozie. Since injuring the rotator cuff and rupturing the bicep tendon in my right arm (I'm right handed) I have resolved to buy the 2nd koozie so that I can use my left hand in addition to my right in an effort equalize (possibly double) the amount of exercise I get lifting those 12oz weights....:lol:

meaz93*
12-29-2018, 08:50 AM
The ole Fitbit and lots of walking around the campsite work well for me and the misses....basically while the Golden Retriever takes us out for many unscheduled potty breaks!
I used to get a nice workout with the old Springdale....cranking all four stabilizer jacks, as well as the tongue :rolleyes:
Now I push a button and the Outback levels automatically!
Now that's camping-lol

Fishsizzle
12-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Yeah, sort of resolution that I’ve been trying to make, but HW keeps making killer cheesy potatoes and wreaking any hope of me dropping 30 lbs.

My grandfather is 85, has smoked most his life, drank hard most his life and had a few heart attacks. His quality of life is nil,. While I’m half that age, I want to be able to do More stuff.

As some of you know, it’s been a rough year with friend and family sick for me. I look at my HW and wonder what will happen if I do go. I have a nice life policy to get her out of physical debt, but we are inseparable and I want to keep it that way as long as I can.

TRX is not a flexible band, you anchor straps and use your body weight to pull, at angle and such. I guess they claim navy seals use it to stay in shape while in the field .

BTW, our Applebee’s is beyond gross. I love their pretzel pub appetizer, but not worth sitting down in there.

hankpage
12-29-2018, 09:05 AM
All this talk about exercise reminds me ... time to exercise the generator.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1153

Maybe Mañana

travelin texans
12-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Wait til after the New Years, those that bought that TRX will have it in their spring garage sale for pennies on the dollar of what they paid for it.
My friend told his wife that the next home exercise equipment she had to have better come with a clothes rack so they could hang them up & didn't just throw their clothes over it.
I wish I had a nickel for every dollars worth of home exercise equipment that's sitting around collecting dust in someone's basement/garage. You're better off to join a gym for a month & cancel when the initial rush wears off.

Chris P
12-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Have to wholeheartedly AGREE with Justin, Applebees is gross. 70% of their cooking equipment is microwaves. Just bring your dog Camping and you will get your exercise.

sourdough
12-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Yeah, sort of resolution that I’ve been trying to make, but HW keeps making killer cheesy potatoes and wreaking any hope of me dropping 30 lbs.

My grandfather is 85, has smoked most his life, drank hard most his life and had a few heart attacks. His quality of life is nil,. While I’m half that age, I want to be able to do More stuff.

As some of you know, it’s been a rough year with friend and family sick for me. I look at my HW and wonder what will happen if I do go. I have a nice life policy to get her out of physical debt, but we are inseparable and I want to keep it that way as long as I can.

TRX is not a flexible band, you anchor straps and use your body weight to pull, at angle and such. I guess they claim navy seals use it to stay in shape while in the field .

BTW, our Applebee’s is beyond gross. I love their pretzel pub appetizer, but not worth sitting down in there.

Justin, on a serious note;

When I tore up my shoulder as I mentioned above, instead of surgery the orthopedic surgeon recommended we try physical therapy first. I'm a believer in rehab but not the kind where you go to a "therapist" for hire....but I did at the insistence of the doc. Well, I was shocked that their plan worked as well as it did. One of the things they do that I scoffed at was using the tension bands to rehab and strengthen the shoulder/bicep. Those things actually worked and have apparently removed the need for surgery (with the exception of the bicep muscle which sort of just "balls" up like a big charley horse). With that success I brought several with me for our stay here in FL and use them to work several parts of the body....and they take up no room to speak of. Might not be the total answer but possibly something you could use.

cookinwitdiesel
12-29-2018, 01:40 PM
I am young (30 years old) so can get away with more but my exercise routine will be almost entirely just body weight movements. I have done Crossfit off and on for the last several years and while I am very strong, I just can't see the value in taking on the risk of heavy weight lifting. I don't need to get stronger, I do need to be healthier and lose weight (lost pretty much zero weight doing Crossfit).

Here are many of the movements I will focus on:

Air Squats
Sit Ups
Crunches
Plank
Russian Twists
Pull Ups
Push Ups
Dips
Jumping Jacks
Burpees

If you get comfortable doing a lot of all of those you should end up in pretty decent shape. The only "gear" I plan to need is a jump rope. Another good "portable gym" piece of equipment is a kettle bell. There are a ton of movements you can do with a single kettle bell but it is not very weight conscious for camping purposes (pretty much a cannon ball with a handle). Stretching is also very important and often overlooked. Flexibility is more important than strength most of the time.

For cardio, I will go on the occasional 1-2 mile run but am not fretting over becoming a marathon runner. Jump rope can sub in for cardio pretty easily. Single jumps for leisurely pace and double unders if you want higher intensity.

vampress_me
12-29-2018, 05:28 PM
A lot of carrots ,stretch band and a few set ups goes along way .

I like this version of exercise. It sounds like a new style of pumpkin chuckin’, maybe call it a carrot torpedo?

Fishsizzle
12-29-2018, 10:58 PM
Thanks all.

I tried a free week of CrossFit, and caught the flu, germs!
I worked at Applebee’s 15 years ago, long story., yes it’s all nuke food.

God help me:

http://katu.com/news/local/keizer-says-in-n-out-burger-files-building-permits

Fishsizzle
12-29-2018, 11:03 PM
I am young (30 years old) so can get away with more but my exercise routine will be almost entirely just body weight movements. I have done Crossfit off and on for the last several years and while I am very strong, I just can't see the value in taking on the risk of heavy weight lifting. I don't need to get stronger, I do need to be healthier and lose weight (lost pretty much zero weight doing Crossfit).

Here are many of the movements I will focus on:

Air Squats
Sit Ups
Crunches
Plank
Russian Twists
Pull Ups
Push Ups
Dips
Jumping Jacks
Burpees

If you get comfortable doing a lot of all of those you should end up in pretty decent shape. The only "gear" I plan to need is a jump rope. Another good "portable gym" piece of equipment is a kettle bell. There are a ton of movements you can do with a single kettle bell but it is not very weight conscious for camping purposes (pretty much a cannon ball with a handle). Stretching is also very important and often overlooked. Flexibility is more important than strength most of the time.

For cardio, I will go on the occasional 1-2 mile run but am not fretting over becoming a marathon runner. Jump rope can sub in for cardio pretty easily. Single jumps for leisurely pace and double unders if you want higher intensity.

You are in much better shape than me, or a lot of us. I just need to start.

Fishsizzle
12-29-2018, 11:07 PM
Justin, on a serious note;

When I tore up my shoulder as I mentioned above, instead of surgery the orthopedic surgeon recommended we try physical therapy first. I'm a believer in rehab but not the kind where you go to a "therapist" for hire....but I did at the insistence of the doc. Well, I was shocked that their plan worked as well as it did. One of the things they do that I scoffed at was using the tension bands to rehab and strengthen the shoulder/bicep. Those things actually worked and have apparently removed the need for surgery (with the exception of the bicep muscle which sort of just "balls" up like a big charley horse). With that success I brought several with me for our stay here in FL and use them to work several parts of the body....and they take up no room to speak of. Might not be the total answer but possibly something you could use.

Thanks for reaching out. I had some therapy with the bands as well. Suffered a set back 10 years ago that had me locked up and needed the bands to lossen up back muscles.

Fishsizzle
12-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Have to wholeheartedly AGREE with Justin, Applebees is gross. 70% of their cooking equipment is microwaves. Just bring your dog Camping and you will get your exercise.

You’d think with 5 dogs I’d look like Fabio

cookinwitdiesel
12-29-2018, 11:33 PM
You are in much better shape than me, or a lot of us. I just need to start.My point I was trying to make is that just moving your body as much as you feel comfortable is a good start. You don't have to be able to drop into a full squat on day one. But starting with what you can do and gently pushing a little over time can get you there. Similarly, if you can't do a push up, just hold your body weight (or partial with your feet lower than your hands) to start getting the juices flowing. Pretty much everything can be scaled down to an achievable/safe level - just don't get comfortable doing less than you are able and short changing yourself. Working with just your body weight and using good form, it is pretty hard to hurt yourself. That is my main goal, don't trash my joints when I am young and have to deal with it for the rest of my (hopefully long) life. I already have had iffy knees since fifth grade from soccer and have put my wrists through hell with bad lifting posture early on in high school. I have also flirted with rotator cuff tendonitis doing (stupid) heavy overhead lifts in CrossFit and put my back through a lot with heavy back squats and deadlift.

I came to realize I am more than strong enough and having my name at the top of the whiteboard at the gym is not worth crippling myself. Focusing on more balanced health now and quality of life - and I could lose 25-30 pounds which all my efforts in CrossFit was not working on.

Also, do not fool yourself folks, if weight loss is your goal, it needs to be about 80% diet. It is pretty hard to exercise yourself skinny without changing your diet - we aren't teenagers anymore.

ctbruce
12-30-2018, 03:59 AM
I've used TRX at our gym. It's nice and takes into account your joint mobility ability.

Pull Toy
12-30-2018, 05:38 AM
On a lighter note, just mention “exercise”, and I RUN! (The other way!)

Jan and I used to joke... It’s not a real yard sale, there’s no used exercise stuff!

Good Luck,

hankpage
12-30-2018, 08:47 AM
Every afternoon I exercise my elbows, but it hasn't been as exhausting since I got an electric corkscrew. We had a white Christmas, when the white ran out we switched to red.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1238

Fishsizzle
12-30-2018, 05:41 PM
I've used TRX at our gym. It's nice and takes into account your joint mobility ability.

Thanks, it seems like a light weight system that you can hook to a tree or pole to keep limber and loose. At 46 my back is needing some help, so as one other poster said, get my diet right and lose my gut, it will help my back.

Was the exercises hard to master? And easy to get a routine? The thing I don’t like about weights is know when tonad more, push through. Plateau and all that stuff. I need simple

spade117
12-31-2018, 05:44 AM
Also, do not fool yourself folks, if weight loss is your goal, it needs to be about 80% diet. It is pretty hard to exercise yourself skinny without changing your diet - we aren't teenagers anymore.

^truth!

Burn more calories than you take in.

meaz93*
12-31-2018, 07:45 AM
I will also add....if you have not tried Isagenix or any other shake replacement-try it, it works. I use a product called Orgain Organic Protein. All plant based protein. Add a banana & peanut butter.
I have a shake for breakfast; eat whatever I want for lunch, than a shake for dinner.
You will loose the weight and get leaner.
Super easy.
I did it with and for my wife basically as she needed to jump start her metabolism.
Than basic strength training!
Happy New Year to all!19744

JRTJH
12-31-2018, 08:25 AM
I'm not posting this to offer any medical advice, but protein supplements and protein shakes are not safe for everyone. Some people with renal (kidney) issues may find them unsafe and possibly damaging to their health.

While "most of us" are probably not going to see any problems with regular consumption of protein supplements, if you're unsure, check with your health care provider before you start any diet supplementation program. The same goes for anyone over 50 who plans a "new exercise and weight loss regimen" as a New Year's resolution. Make sure you're physically able to take on the stress BEFORE you start any regimen. Your health insurance (and loved ones) will thank you for not winding up in the hospital or the ER.....

ChuckS
12-31-2018, 08:30 AM
Might also want to look at using a kettlebell. 15 to 20 lb for men and 5 to 10 lb for woman. 20 minute routine gets you cardio and muscle build. I’m 64 and been using these for 10 years.

Routines are available on UTube , etc. I carry two in basement of fifth wheel and first thing I do in the morning after a cup of java.

Pull Toy
12-31-2018, 03:19 PM
All kidding aside, never start any diet, supplement, or exercise regiment without discussing it with your Doctor. A professional trainer is also probably a good idea, even if just to get you started.

Certain med's are not compatible with some dietary supplements, and a general health assessment is a MUST. High BP, skeletal issues, and hidden Cardiac problems are a major concern as we age.

Another thought is that more and more camp grounds have exercise rooms complete with a wide variety of equipment.

Good Luck,

Fishsizzle
12-31-2018, 11:26 PM
Might also want to look at using a kettlebell. 15 to 20 lb for men and 5 to 10 lb for woman. 20 minute routine gets you cardio and muscle build. I’m 64 and been using these for 10 years.

Routines are available on UTube , etc. I carry two in basement of fifth wheel and first thing I do in the morning after a cup of java.

I will look at that, thanks

ctbruce
01-01-2019, 06:07 AM
Thanks, it seems like a light weight system that you can hook to a tree or pole to keep limber and loose. At 46 my back is needing some help, so as one other poster said, get my diet right and lose my gut, it will help my back.

Was the exercises hard to master? And easy to get a routine? The thing I don’t like about weights is know when tonad more, push through. Plateau and all that stuff. I need simpleNo they are not hard and gentle on the joints. They can be done anywhere.

jkohler70
01-02-2019, 05:48 AM
While at home I do conventional exercise - strength training and running. We always camp near a hiking trail so I bought some decent hiking boots and a day pack. It's great to get some exercise and enjoy nature while camping. If I'm hiking alone I'll pop in some ear buds and listen to an audio book.

sourdough
01-02-2019, 08:09 AM
While at home I do conventional exercise - strength training and running. We always camp near a hiking trail so I bought some decent hiking boots and a day pack. It's great to get some exercise and enjoy nature while camping. If I'm hiking alone I'll pop in some ear buds and listen to an audio book.

I've spent lots and lots of time in the woods both alone and with others. I personally would not wear earbuds and listen to anything. I like hearing the sounds of nature. More importantly, one of our best defense mechanisms is our hearing which is removed with the buds. I've encountered bears, javelina, dozens and dozens of rattlesnakes and a mountain lion....up close - some of the snakes within 2-3' or less, a sow and her 2 cubs at about 10 yards (other times as well) and the mountain lion was at about 15 yards or so - guess he got uncomfortable with me continuing to advance (I couldn't see him) so decided to move. In every case I heard them before I saw them. In some of those cases being unaware can be very dangerous. I know everyone has their own opinions on those things but just wanted to throw that out.

Edit; I forgot about the moose laying in the tall grass a few yards from me that I had no idea was there until it snorted and raised it's head.

jkohler70
01-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Not so many hazards in the MO Ozarks. Only about 350 black bears statewide and while we do get occasional visits from mountain lions, no confirmed mating pairs.
I've hiked over 1000 miles through the state and have never encountered a snake of any kind on a trail. I assume the regular foot traffic causes them to avoid trails. I did encounter a couple of water moccasins while bushwacking up a creek.

Biggest danger here is feral hogs. Since 1965 there have been 2 deaths by snakebite in MO. The recent one was an idiot who was bitten by a water moccasin while wading in the river and didn't bother with the hospital. No bear or cougar attacks in over 100 years.

I also wear "open" earbuds. They aren't noise cancelling or noise isolating.

flybouy
01-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Anyone desiring a work out are welcome to stop by and take our 2 knuckle headed Brittany Spaniels for a walk. They are getting old but they don't know that when they pick up the scent of field bird, squirrel, or rabbit!

Chris P
01-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Now your talking about some good cardio, I have a Husky as well.

spade117
01-07-2019, 05:15 AM
We just got this guy for xmas:

Chris P
01-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Congratulations on your new pup, hopefully he likes to camp and go for rides.

spade117
01-07-2019, 05:42 AM
Congratulations on your new pup, hopefully he likes to camp and go for rides.

Thanks, I've taken him for a few rides to get him used to it. Our previous dogs loved camping and I'm sure this one will to. Our most recent dog (Black Lab/Rottweiler mix) was named Champ, and our family always called him Champer the Camper dog.

Chris P
01-07-2019, 08:25 AM
This is Rummy enjoying her spot in our camper last season. 19805

sourdough
02-15-2019, 09:43 AM
I've spent lots and lots of time in the woods both alone and with others. I personally would not wear earbuds and listen to anything. I like hearing the sounds of nature. More importantly, one of our best defense mechanisms is our hearing which is removed with the buds. I've encountered bears, javelina, dozens and dozens of rattlesnakes and a mountain lion....up close - some of the snakes within 2-3' or less, a sow and her 2 cubs at about 10 yards (other times as well) and the mountain lion was at about 15 yards or so - guess he got uncomfortable with me continuing to advance (I couldn't see him) so decided to move. In every case I heard them before I saw them. In some of those cases being unaware can be very dangerous. I know everyone has their own opinions on those things but just wanted to throw that out.

Edit; I forgot about the moose laying in the tall grass a few yards from me that I had no idea was there until it snorted and raised it's head.

I'm resurrecting this thread to emphasize the point I was trying to make about earbuds and safety in the wild. Please read the next to last paragraph. The term headphones is used but, to me, it could be replaced with "earbuds".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/man-says-killing-mountain-lion-with-bare-hands-was-just-like-a-wrestling-match

Fishsizzle
02-18-2019, 01:02 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread to emphasize the point I was trying to make about earbuds and safety in the wild. Please read the next to last paragraph. The term headphones is used but, to me, it could be replaced with "earbuds".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/man-says-killing-mountain-lion-with-bare-hands-was-just-like-a-wrestling-match

Read that.... scary. This may sound weird, but when out hiking the lack of sound Is why I’m out there. I love Def Leopard cranked in my ear as much as anyone else, but don’t want to be deaf if a “leopard” has me on the menu.

cookinwitdiesel
02-18-2019, 05:59 AM
A little unrelated, but that is why when out in the wilderness in WY is the main time my parents carry a sidearm on them (primarily for bears)

sourdough
02-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Read that.... scary. This may sound weird, but when out hiking the lack of sound Is why I’m out there. I love Def Leopard cranked in my ear as much as anyone else, but don’t want to be deaf if a “leopard” has me on the menu.

We frequent mountain lion country all the time and in fact have a vacation home in an active area. They are quiet, smart and stealthy. A fellow we know shot one on his ranch. It was almost 200 lbs. and looked about 6' long. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to "wrestle" something like that - they are stout. And yes, I carry a sidearm as well but if you are distracted and unaware of the animal, you may never have a chance to use it by the time you are fighting for your life after it has pounced on you. I believe the animal in this article was a juvenile.

JRTJH
02-18-2019, 08:10 AM
I was elk hunting back in the early 70's about 35 miles north of Steamboat Springs, right on the Wyoming border. I was sitting under a rock outcropping, on the edge of a clearing. A couple of rabbits were playing in the clearing and I was about to get up and walk out for lunch when a mountain lion came flying over the top of me, toward those rabbits. It caught one, shook a couple of times and loped off headed in the opposite direction I needed to go.

I was hunting, paying very careful attention to all the sounds, definitely watching and listening for any hint of movement around me. I had no earthly idea that cat was literally right over me. Also, I have no idea how long it had been there, whether it was stalking me and the rabbits were an easier meal or ....

I can say that I learned that day, not to crawl up under a rock ledge making my back "blind to view".... It was most definitely a cautious walk out to the truck that day......

66joej
02-18-2019, 09:16 AM
We are having a particularly big problem with cougars (not RVs) this winter. Conservation people don't know why but they are coming right into town. Their theory is with the heavier than normal snowfall the big cats can operate easier down here. Been a few kills near town. We have a lot of bighorn sheep, deer and wild turkeys wandering the streets. Discharging firearms not allowed in town. I guess if approached by a cougar we just have to talk him/her down.

JRTJH
02-18-2019, 09:28 AM
We are having a particularly big problem with cougars (not RVs) this winter. Conservation people don't know why but they are coming right into town. Their theory is with the heavier than normal snowfall the big cats can operate easier down here. Been a few kills near town. We have a lot of bighorn sheep, deer and wild turkeys wandering the streets. Discharging firearms not allowed in town. I guess if approached by a cougar we just have to talk him/her down.

Pepper spray, bear spray or a cattle prod ?????? And I thought we were "in the sticks" where we live LOL

sourdough
02-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Just say "here kitty, kitty, kitty" and offer them some kitty treats.....:lol:

Seriously, from what I've seen, all of them would rather be away from you than challenge you. I've seen several that move away from me and one that just sat there looking at me about 60 yds. away when I was hunting (I decided to move on to "new" hunting grounds!). Now, if they were starving because their source of food has been compromised, I don't know. Attacks are pretty rare but they do happen. Here's a link to an article that happened near us a while ago that puts another spin on why they might be there;

https://www.kvia.com/news/deputies-kill-mountain-lion-in-southern-new-mexico/55852566

I think the animal will be moving pretty quick when they try to get you from what I've seen so I suppose carrying anything would be better than carrying nothing.

Fishsizzle
02-19-2019, 06:23 AM
Just say "here kitty, kitty, kitty" and offer them some kitty treats.....:lol:

Seriously, from what I've seen, all of them would rather be away from you than challenge you. I've seen several that move away from me and one that just sat there looking at me about 60 yds. away when I was hunting (I decided to move on to "new" hunting grounds!). Now, if they were starving because their source of food has been compromised, I don't know. Attacks are pretty rare but they do happen. Here's a link to an article that happened near us a while ago that puts another spin on why they might be there;

https://www.kvia.com/news/deputies-kill-mountain-lion-in-southern-new-mexico/55852566

I think the animal will be moving pretty quick when they try to get you from what I've seen so I suppose carrying anything would be better than carrying nothing.

Oregon had a woman killed by one last year near Welches. Here in Cental Oregon we’ve probably had the police kill 6-8 last year because they are in town and have no fear of man anymore. One killed last week or week before if I remember.

My step bro was elk hunting last year (second hand info) He had a bear tag and walked up on a cat eating a calf elk. Cat got scared and ran off, he couldn’t understand why till he saw his bear, he tagged it. He didn’t have a cat tag and was kinda bummed.