PDA

View Full Version : Nomenclature and Inspection Stations

SummitPond
12-17-2018, 06:20 AM
Very often I will see a state agriculture inspection or weigh station, and I'm never sure if I should pull in to be checked.

The posted signs almost always say "all trailers" yet I infer from the vehicles I see at the stations they really mean commercial semi-tractor truck/trailers.

Without checking the rules (assuming they can be easily found) for each state that we visit, what's the proper thing to do?

Thanks.

jsmith948
12-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Here in The Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia, you will have to stop at the ag inspection station (as do all vehicles). DO NOT stop at the state weigh stations.

travelin texans
12-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Been rving for 40+ years, the last 10 fulltime, crossing the country several times & never stopped at a weigh station & until otherwise informed never will. Those are strictly for commercial vehicles, if you're hauling a rv for a transport company & getting paid to do so then YES you must stop, but for personal rv travel NO you are not required to stop.

sourdough
12-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Been rving for 40+ years, the last 10 fulltime, crossing the country several times & never stopped at a weigh station & until otherwise informed never will. Those are strictly for commercial vehicles, if you're hauling a rv for a transport company & getting paid to do so then YES you must stop, but for personal rv travel NO you are not required to stop.

^^^^^^^^^^x2

wiredgeorge
12-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Here in Texas, seems like almost all the weigh stations on US highways are no longer open except where trucks come up from across the border and such. Am I imagining that most are closed?

Ductape
12-17-2018, 10:04 AM
What the heck is an ag inspection station ??

JRTJH
12-17-2018, 10:10 AM
What the heck is an ag inspection station ??

It's a "border crossing inspection station" where the "state officials" inspect your vehicle for "contraband agricultural products"... ie: They check to make sure you're not smuggling cucumbers into California, although pickles are OK....

sourdough
12-17-2018, 10:18 AM
I've seen "ag" stations driving through in our regular vehicle but have not been through one with our RV. We did however have a friend that went up through Canada a couple of months ago tell us that when they crossed back into the states they had to remove all their vegetables and what not so I guess they do check for "something" and require RVs to stop.

jsmith948
12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
I've seen "ag" stations driving through in our regular vehicle but have not been through one with our RV. We did however have a friend that went up through Canada a couple of months ago tell us that when they crossed back into the states they had to remove all their vegetables and what not so I guess they do check for "something" and require RVs to stop.Best example I can reference is the cherry fruit fly. This insect is/was found in the PNW and, since California also has a large cherry industry, the at inspection station stops all loads of cherries coming into the state. Both the point of origin inspection paperwork and an actual physical test where a sample of fruit is removed from the load and crushed to check for fly larva. They will also confiscate any cherries you may have. It's to prevent the spread of the pest.

Frank G
12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
The state of Florida has Ag inspection stations at the Georgia border. When we were hauling horses we always stopped, never with the RV.

On the interstate highways, pay attention, there are scales all along the way with cameras and other detection devices, including but not limited to, nuclear, plate readers, speed, length, and hot wheel detector's. Yes, big brother is watching, they no longer have to be visible. I keep spotting more and more stuff suspended over all lanes of travel.

notanlines
12-17-2018, 12:36 PM
It's a "border crossing inspection station" where the "state officials" inspect your vehicle for "contraband agricultural products"... ie: They check to make sure you're not smuggling cucumbers into California, although pickles are OK....

I wouldn’t touch that....

SummitPond
12-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I will continue to bypass the weigh and ag inspection stations (unless I'm in California, I guess).

Ken / Claudia
12-21-2018, 11:52 AM
No one mentioned livestock inspections? We have those, maybe only here out west. Those are done on any size of trailer.

MattE303
12-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I will continue to bypass the weigh and ag inspection stations (unless I'm in California, I guess).The ag inspection stations here is California (at least the ones I've been thru) are not optional exits like the weigh stations, they are right on the highway so you have no choice but to drive thru. There may not be anyone at the booth, if not, you just drive through and keep going. If there is someone in the booth, you must stop, and depending on your plates and vehicle type they may just wave you thru, or ask where you're coming from, and may ask if you have any fruits or vegetables with you.

Bolo4u
12-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Generally speaking, at the AG inspections stations located at the border crossings into California you are required to stop. They are inspecting for insects which can be harmful to Californias ag industry. Also, they will inspect boats and other water vessels coming in from out of state which may be carrying invasive water species (zebra mussels) etc. and some regular vehicles from states known to possibly carry insects or other harmful organisms. If you're coming back to or traveling to California to camp and you have firewood you bought at the local out of state KOA or firewood you brought from home they want to know. Also, if you've been out of state hunting, you're ~supposed~ to stop and declare your tagged animal. So far, California has avoided Chronic Wasting Disease and if any deer/elk coming from out of state still has any brain or spinal tissue intact... bad juju. If they catch you you might be caping the animal on the spot, even if its 2 am. Yes Ca Fish and Game will stage several officers at Ag stations, especially during heavy hunting seasons.

They aren't looking for the groceries you just purchased at Costco. More the box of strawberries or other fruits/veggies from the local farm stand 40 miles back.

As far as the weigh stations, if you're driving for-hire (commercially) you're generally required to stop. If you're from a state that issues separate weight stickers (the CVRA stickers in California) then technically you're required to stop. Rv's are generally exempt. Moving trucks are not...