PDA

View Full Version : What kind of jack do you carry?

German Shepherd Guy
12-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Howdy. So My new trailer comes with a spare but no jack. :facepalm: It is one of the 2018s Premiere line. Wide axel stance. In the collective wisdom here, what kind of jack do you carry?
I have looked at the drive up jacks/chocks, but there seems to be mixed reviews on whether they will lift a tire on an axel spread as wide as mine.
If a jack is used then a bottle jack?
And where would you place it, under the axel of the flat tire or on the frame near the flat? :ermm:

How big of a bottle jack? 12 ton? Larger?

Those drive up things sure look easy if they work.

ok, what is the consensus out there.

Thanks in advance. :bow:

Logan X
12-12-2018, 12:07 PM
I use a 12 ton bottle jack underneath the I-beam. I carry a block of wood to put the jack on or else it will not reach the frame. I can get both tires on one side off of the ground without moving the jack, which is nice when I am repacking the wheel bearings.

cookinwitdiesel
12-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Is it just me or does 12 ton seem pretty excessive? I bought a 4-ton jack to use and will block it with wood to reach the frame. I figure maybe 40-50% of the trailer weight would be on the jack when lifting one side - for my trailer that is only about 4500# so I still have double the jack I "need"

Logan X
12-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Is it just me or does 12 ton seem pretty excessive? I bought a 4-ton jack to use and will block it with wood to reach the frame. I figure maybe 40-50% of the trailer weight would be on the jack when lifting one side - for my trailer that is only about 4500# so I still have double the jack I "need"

My mistake, I said I use a 12 ton jack when in fact it’s a 6 ton jack. I went and looked at it. I think the 6 ton jack is overkill for my trailer. I’m sure a 4 ton jack would work for me also.

chuckster57
12-12-2018, 01:18 PM
I use the jack under the hood of my truck. If it will lift a truck axle it will lift a trailer axle.

Wing-in-it
12-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Bottle jack here......

But my rig has 6 point levelers, so I just push a button now.

JRTJH
12-12-2018, 01:36 PM
I have a 4 ton bottle jack that I use with a block of wood. I position the jack under the spring U-bolts and lift from there. While I have no issues with the recommendation to jack on the trailer frame, I find that with the frame 24" in the air, that to obtain enough lift to clear the tire at pavement level, the distance from the base of the jack to the frame is approaching 30-31". That height, in my opinion, is too much to remain stable. So, I prefer to life at the axle and keep it at 4-6".

As chuckster said, using the truck scissors jack will also work. The only reason I haven't used my truck jack is because it's behind the seat, in the OEM plastic bag and I've never needed it while on the road. At home, I find a 3 ton floor jack on the axle U-bolts works much faster than the small bottle jack, but it weighs a bit over 100 pounds, so I don't want to pack it in the cargo hold of the trailer. That's the reason for the small bottle jack.... Weight....

cookinwitdiesel
12-12-2018, 01:39 PM
I also chose the bottle jack for weight. Your comment about frame vs axle makes sense too. Here is to hoping I never need the jack now that I bought it :)

Number 4
12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
I also have a 4-ton bottle jack and used it just recently while re-packing wheel bearings. The jack sits on top of two thick wooden blocks and was very stable while lifting the I-beam frame. Kept the TT hitched to the TV (parking brake on) and removed/reinstalled one wheel at a time.

AbHDToyHauler
12-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Bottle jack here......

But my rig has 6 point levelers, so I just push a button now.

My auto levellers will also lift my complete rig up so I use them and blocks (for safety).

Bob Shaw
12-12-2018, 03:01 PM
I do carry a 12-ton bottle jack. One of my previous campers had torsion bar suspension and you couldn't place a jack under any one axle and had to jack-up the whole side of the trailer. I even had some tire road service people who's jacks would not lift it. That was during the Chinese tire issues, which I hope has now passed us, since I now have a new trailer with what I think are Chinese tires, again.

sourdough
12-12-2018, 03:09 PM
I carry 2 8 ton bottle jacks, blocks of wood, the plastic little blocks and an Anderson rapid jack. Had another brand of drive on jack that didn't get the tire off the ground far enough so it's "out there somewhere". Hopefully out of all that I can scrape together whatever is needed in the event of a failure somewhere.

bobbecky
12-12-2018, 06:55 PM
A four ton jack may have the capacity to lift the trailer, but by going with a 12 ton jack, you usually get a longer ram which will make it easier to fully get the tires off the ground. If you do have a flat, you will have to lift the frame even higher than if all the tires were aired up. I carry one of these kits, along with their 12 ton jack adapter that fits my 12 ton jack ram. I don't have to use it often, but when it's needed, I can get the rig lifted without stacking blocks. https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/safe-jack-bottle-jack-recovery-kit-without-bottle-jack

busterbrown
12-12-2018, 11:23 PM
I had a 4 ton bottle jack. After a leaf spring broke enroute to a campground last fall, I decided to carry an 8 ton instead, due the longer ram and larger base. A couple of 8x8x2 wood pads and the axle reach is relatively safe. As previously mentioned, I agree that the jack length (from ground to the coach's point of contact) should be kept to a minimum. Even with a solid jack point (frame or axle), I still place a jack stand to bear some of the load. Such cheap and easy insurance to avoid "a really bad day".

notanlines
12-13-2018, 03:59 AM
In following the subject not only on this forum but a couple others, most old timers/veterans use a larger bottle jack (6-12 ton) and very, very few jack on the RV frame. Mostly jack as described earlier, on the axle/spring shackle bolts.

Tinner12002
12-13-2018, 03:59 AM
I carry 2 bottle jacks, an 8 ton and a 12 ton. I also have an adapter I made to fit the radius of the axle tube. It has a short tube on it to fit the ram on the jack so it won't slip off the axle. Also, if your going to raise only the axle, always jack as near as possible to the springs.

Dave W
12-13-2018, 04:22 AM
I carry one of my two Harbor Freight 12Ton jacks, usually the low version along with wood blocking. These are a bit of overkill but they are occasionally used for other purposes - they were bought originally to jack the garage wall so I could install a new stud plate. They are inexpensive, store in their original 5x5x8 boxes and work well.

A 4T jack. IMHO, will work just fine if it will be a dedicated tool just for tire changes but for a few bucks more - bigger is (usually) a better choice

I would suspect that the OPs spread axle TT would not be a good candidate for that Anderson ramp gadget

Gegrad
12-13-2018, 06:54 AM
I carry a small 3 ton floor jack in my truck (scaled down floor jack). Perfect for lifting my ultra light. If I have a flat and need to swap it, I can lift it by the axle for the few minutes it will take to swap the tire. Of course that may not work for someone with a large 5er. But since you have a premier, I suspect something like that would work perfectly for you. Like $50.

flybouy
12-13-2018, 07:24 AM
I use a trailer aid + (has the rubber bad that gives another 2" to the height) to change a tire. A 12 ton bottle jack from HF and need be the truck's bottle jack. Assorted 2 X 8, 4 X 4 wood pieces and plastic blocks.

UsTwo
12-13-2018, 11:15 AM
I also carry a 4 ton bottle jack in the truck.. it fits just fine in the storage area in the back floor board of my Ram.. Plus I use wood for leveling so already have that..

gearhead
12-13-2018, 04:19 PM
I have one of these from Amazon in the 5th: Alltrade 640912 Black 3 Ton,All-in-One Bottle Jack
by Alltrade. Built in jack stand.
Plus I think an 8 ton.
Then a 12 ton maybe? under the truck seat.
Another maybe 6 ton in the boat.
Plus an aluminum 3 ton floor jack in the shop.
Plus the TrailerAid+ in the 5th. I have always used the TrailerAid for routine brake and bearing service.
I may be missing a couple somewhere....

Rber1234
12-20-2018, 08:31 AM
I bought a 12 ton bottle jack just for the fact it had a taller reach than the others for use on the frame and not the axles.

NorthwestGuy
12-20-2018, 08:36 AM
I have a small floor jack.

jlaney20
12-20-2018, 08:44 AM
I use a 6 ton jack and carry one jackstand with me, works just fine

rjrelander
12-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Ours is light enough that I just have the DW hold up one corner ... :popcorn:
EDIT: Yes, I know ... "Get back to work!" ... gets quiet around here during the holidays and I used up all my vacation camping this summer.

apachewolf
12-20-2018, 10:20 AM

You are right in the assumption that a 12 ton jack is over-kill, BUT a 12ton jack is a good deal taller than a 4 ton. Price-wise there is not much difference in the 2 sizes. I myself carry a 12 ton for the height but also use a chunk of 8" x 8" wood to help.

Local150
12-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Imo I too don't like jacking on the frame,, way to high. May be ok in the drive but remember most shoulders on a multi lane highway slope at 1/2 inch per foot, so from side to side is around 4 inch difference. I carry a 4 ton bottle Jack and place it under the spring clamp,,works fine.

Northofu1
12-20-2018, 12:08 PM
8 Ton Bottle jack and 2 - 4 ton jack stands.

Beemer Phil
12-20-2018, 01:39 PM
I typically jack from under the u bolts for the reasons mentioned above. Jacking from the frame just requires to much lift plus the fact that in Keystones wisdom the gas line runs along the whole length of the right underside of the frame on 2920BH. You would think that running the gas line along the side of the frame would afford more protection.

JON SUSN
12-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Howdy. So My new trailer comes with a spare but no jack. :facepalm: It is one of the 2018s Premiere line. Wide axel stance. In the collective wisdom here, what kind of jack do you carry?
I have looked at the drive up jacks/chocks, but there seems to be mixed reviews on whether they will lift a tire on an axel spread as wide as mine.
If a jack is used then a bottle jack?
And where would you place it, under the axel of the flat tire or on the frame near the flat? :ermm:

How big of a bottle jack? 12 ton? Larger?

Those drive up things sure look easy if they work.

ok, what is the consensus out there.

Thanks in advance. :bow:
Well no jack needed here.....just call roadside service......it’s what I pay for:hornets::hornets::hornets::hide:

kntrygal
12-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Interesting thread. I've always used a drive up lift with my horse trailers, Livestock trailers, and flatbeds. Never thought it might be a problem with the 5th wheel, but I'll be checking once the weather clears up.

Jmartin14320
12-20-2018, 05:21 PM
I don't carry a jack for the trailer. I did an online search and found a video of changing one tire by pulling the trailer good tire up onto a 4x4 or suitable piece of wood (assuming you have two tires on a side) and once the tire was suspended, finished removing the lug nuts on the flat tire that were loosened while on the ground. Have to make sure the tow vehicle and opposite tires are all chaulked. Piece of cake.

notanlines
12-20-2018, 05:34 PM
JMartin, most of the old timers here are familiar with your method. And under ideal circumstances it'll work like a champ. But that small amount of space that handy-dandy 6 ton bottle jack takes up is excellent insurance for that odd time that the ramp fails to perform.

sourdough
12-20-2018, 05:39 PM
JMartin, most of the old timers here are familiar with your method. And under ideal circumstances it'll work like a champ. But that small amount of space that handy-dandy 6 ton bottle jack takes up is excellent insurance for that odd time that the ramp fails to perform.

Super point! When bad things happen you just don't know what kind of circumstance you will be in. I have found that the bottle jack (I carry 2 8 ton) take up miniscule space, cost a pittance and can come in VERY handy. Having the board only and something not be right - you are stuck.

LaTundra
12-20-2018, 07:44 PM
I use the truck ramps. I had a blowout in Texas, right front. Loosened the lugs, put the ramp on the back tire, backed it up, replaced the tire. Was done in 15 minutes. Went to a tire dealer in the next town, while he was mounting a new tire, I used the truck ramp again. He was quite impressed.
I got the TWO truck ramps at Wally World $44.

PARAPTOR
12-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Lets see I have a TrailerAid, 6 ton and twenty ton bottle Jack, have to use up some of the dually payload :whistling: Oh and the most important tool, a cell phone to call Roadside Service :banghead:

Phil Saran
12-20-2018, 11:00 PM
Like many I also have road service.
But I also have a Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack plus a small rolling floor jack.

I also like the idea of a bottle jack.

kksfish
12-21-2018, 05:14 AM
Like most of you I carry multiple devices.....GoodSam Roadside Assistance, Drive on lift ramp, 6-ton bottle, and multiple blocks for cribbage.....

Travelinlou
12-21-2018, 05:51 AM
For about $60, I highly recommend the Anderson jack for dual axle trailers. Andersen Hitches RAPID JACK 3620 | Easy RV or Trailer Leveling Jack | Doubles as Jack Wheel Holder, Jack Post Block, Pad Block, and Wheel Chock. https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Manufacturing-3620-Rapid-Jack/dp/B004L6AAUE

travelin texans
12-21-2018, 07:09 AM
For about $60, I highly recommend the Anderson jack for dual axle trailers. Andersen Hitches RAPID JACK 3620 | Easy RV or Trailer Leveling Jack | Doubles as Jack Wheel Holder, Jack Post Block, Pad Block, and Wheel Chock. [IMyG]https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Manufacturing-3620-Rapid-Jack/dp/B004L6AAUE[/IMG]

Those don't work with the wide stance axles, too much space between axles, but otherwise work well.

jlaney20
12-22-2018, 03:28 AM
Well, I just got involved in my first thread on this site a couple days ago on jacks. Guess what, I had a blow out on I-75 yesterday on my 5th wheel. I do have roadside service, but they gave him wrong directions. Second call , still no service. Ended up changing it myself with my 6 ton bottle jack. Should have done it myself in the first place and saved myself 2 hrs. Wasn’t a happy camper after that ordeal.��

notanlines
12-22-2018, 04:04 AM
I'm guessing a wrecker truck driver that can't find a broken down 5th wheel on I-75 is probably not the person who should be entrusted with a lug wrench.

ctbruce
12-22-2018, 07:28 AM
I have a 200 pound Jack.

I call him up and say, "Hey Jack, I need a lift." Works for me.

LOL[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

German Shepherd Guy
12-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Thanks Jon, can I borrow your roadside assistance card? :flowers:

Promise I will only use it of I get a flat. :angel:

No, really, only if I get a flat. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas everyone.

Oak, The German Shepherd Guy

sourdough
12-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Well, I just got involved in my first thread on this site a couple days ago on jacks. Guess what, I had a blow out on I-75 yesterday on my 5th wheel. I do have roadside service, but they gave him wrong directions. Second call , still no service. Ended up changing it myself with my 6 ton bottle jack. Should have done it myself in the first place and saved myself 2 hrs. Wasn’t a happy camper after that ordeal.��

I agree; use the jack and save the time. I carry 3 different roadside assistance plans. When we had our last blowout in '16 I called all of them; the best any could do was "hopefully within 4 hours". Of no use to me so just changed it and intend to do so going forward.

PARAPTOR
12-22-2018, 04:07 PM
sourdough, same experience here, I also have multiple roadside services. After two calls to different services and 4 hours later, finally called 911. Then it took two state trooper cars to get the idiots in the left lane of I80 and speeds below 80 MPH. Ended up changing tire myself with help from a man that stopped. We see these pictures where troopers are hit when pulled over to the side and wonder how. Have to be there. Not very hard to see a Raptor with blinkers on the side of the highway and get over in the left lane. I guess it was hard took two trooper cars to finally get traffic in the left. In this case used the traileraid on good tire then bottle jack to lift axle to get flat off or should say what was left of a tire

jlaney20
12-23-2018, 05:12 AM
The only problem in changing it yourself is that if you have tire insurance they won’t cover the tire unless the service company that changed it calls it in. I was lucky enough to get a very nice person from ins co. Explained whole ordeal, I took pictures of tire on camper, just need to send the pictures receipts from tire and insurance information and they’re going to cover it.

tmason
12-23-2018, 04:24 PM
I've read in many places one is not supposed to jack on the axle.Is it OK to jack on the alignment plate that is under the axle ?

Local150
12-23-2018, 05:55 PM
I have a 4 ton but gonna get me at least a 8 ton, that 4 ton pumps pretty hard when you are laying on the edge of the road and trucks and cars are whizzing by at 70 or more

chuckster57
12-23-2018, 05:55 PM
I've read in many places one is not supposed to jack on the axle.Is it OK to jack on the alignment plate that is under the axle ?

If your talking about the plate that the U bolts go through then yes.

tmason
12-30-2018, 01:49 PM
I was. Thanks

Local150
12-30-2018, 03:15 PM
I carry a 12 ton jack, and always will along with plenty of lumber. But going to try the ramp idea

Dblhack
12-31-2018, 05:42 AM
This is what I carry, (bottle jack and stand in one). I carry some wood carved for the cradle to fit against the frame.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_LXHkCb1XYWM7B