PDA

View Full Version : Repair question

Acaines
12-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Forgive me if I use wrong terminology...

I need to replace the screw cover trim but while I was checking the end cap of the trim, I noticed where the screw goes into the side/edge of the TT that he hole is stripped out and the screw spins freely. In my house when I notice something similar, say in my kitchen cabinets, I drill out the stripped hole to 1/4" diameter and glue a 1/4" hardwood dowel in and the screw holds. Can similar be done on an RV with the thin walls? How do you deal with stripped ou screw holes?

Canonman
12-12-2018, 10:11 AM
I've inserted wooden match sticks into the existing hole with a fair amount of silicone sealant. Let dry, then the original screw with more sealant on top. so far so good:)

Acaines
12-12-2018, 10:29 AM
I've inserted wooden match sticks into the existing hole with a fair amount of silicone sealant. Let dry, then the original screw with more sealant on top. so far so good:)

Thank you. I am nervous about drilling into the walls. Your idea does make sense as it is less invasive.

Logan X
12-12-2018, 11:28 AM
I have noticed a lot of those screws are very susceptible to over tightening which will strip it out very quickly. I always tighten by hand and only to snug.

Acaines
12-12-2018, 12:51 PM
I have noticed a lot of those screws are very susceptible to over tightening which will strip it out very quickly. I always tighten by hand and only to snug.

Right. I removed some curtain clips and found they were easily turned with the bit in my fingers.

What about Lock-Tite, especially on exterior screws?

sourdough
12-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Exterior screws go into all sorts of materials. I use Loctite on screws going into/through metal then back them with speed nuts. I use washers under the screws in the fenders because they will split and break if you're not careful (along with the speednuts). I've never used Loctite on screws going into wood.

Acaines
12-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Exterior screws go into all sorts of materials. I use Loctite on screws going into/through metal then back them with speed nuts. I use washers under the screws in the fenders because they will split and break if you're not careful (along with the speednuts). I've never used Loctite on screws going into wood.

Right. I wouldn't use Lock-Tite on wood. I'm talking where metal meets metal.

Number 4
12-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Does silicone sealant put out the fire when you drill into that "strike anywhere" head? :lol:

I've used toothpicks in similar situations because they appear (to me anyways) more stout than match stick wood. I'm sure good ol' Diamond matchsticks work well too. Just be sure to trim that red end first. :whistling:

Canonman
12-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Does silicone sealant put out the fire when you drill into that "strike anywhere" head? :lol:

I've used toothpicks in similar situations because they appear (to me anyways) more stout than match stick wood. I'm sure good ol' Diamond matchsticks work well too. Just be sure to trim that red end first. :whistling:

You put the wood end in the hole then light the head so you can see where the screw goes:whistling: I thought everyone knew that trick

Logan X
12-12-2018, 05:50 PM
You put the wood end in the hole then light the head so you can see where the screw goes:whistling: I thought everyone knew that trick

Just like Rambo when he cauterized a wound with gun powder. Haha

flybouy
12-12-2018, 06:39 PM

For larger holes use road flares.:eek: