PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting for Level Towing

vwalla
08-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I have recently added air bags to my truck and have noticed that the trailer does not tow level anymore (back end low). This is concerning for 2 reasons.

1) More load on the rear axle
2) Premature wear on the rear tires

What is the proper way to adjust the level? I noticed bolts on the side of the hitch on the 5th wheel itself. Are these used for leveling on the tow vehicle for travel?

Thanks!

Me.Bikes.Dogs
08-08-2011, 12:41 PM
My fifth wheel hitch does have several height adjustment levels adjusted by moving the bolts that hold the hitch plate in place. Sounds like yours is the same way. Keep in mind this also adjusts the clearance between your bed rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel.

Festus2
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
You should be able to make adjustments for level by making changes in the truck hitch and/or the pin box on the 5th wheel. I would start by lowering your truck hitch if you have any spare holes to lower it. If that doesn't give you the proper results, take a look at moving the pin box.
As was pointed out by Kent, any lowering of the front of the 5th wheel will reduce the clearance you have between the 5th wheel and the truck rails. You will have to ensure that you still have enough clearance after you make any adjustments.
Also make certain that the nuts & bolts are retorqued to their proper ft/lbs.

Handysam
08-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Sorry, but I'm a little confused. If you just added air bags, and the rear is low, couldn't you just add some air to the bags to raise the rear? Or am I missing something? Happy camping, Sam

SLIMSHADIE
08-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Rear of the 5th wheel not the truck.

vwalla
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Believe I can lower 1 bolt hole. I have a super glide so I can't lower the hitch in the bed.

BTW. IPhone decided to send the prev post before I was finished.

Thanks again!

hankpage
08-09-2011, 04:44 AM
vwalla, How much air do you have in your air bags??? :confused: I run 5-10 psi with truck empty. When I hitch up I use the bags to level the rig.( on mine about 40 psi ) If you were level before the air bags you may be lifting the truck too much. Your tail-gate may regret it if you reduce bed-rail clearance. JM2¢, Hank

vwalla
08-09-2011, 06:13 AM
I run about 50-60 psi, but may lower some and see how it rides. Trying to find a blance between ride comfort and trailer level :)

Great point though. I will see what comes from adjusting the airbags in the next week or so.

Thanks!

Outbackmel
08-09-2011, 06:53 AM
After denting the top of my tailgate on my 2500 Dodge, 2008; I repaired it and found a better solution for me. I leave my Dodge tail gate home when I hitch and travel. I went with a Roll n' Lock top with a rear mesh gate. I simply leave the gate off when I tow and can stow 2 sets of golf clubs forward of the 5th wheel and when I unhook; in 2 minutes; gate goes in and top pulls back and all space is secure for my personal use.

For me, this works great. "bouncey: