PDA

View Full Version : Blackstone grill

V2wings
11-27-2018, 03:22 PM
I just received a Blackstone Grill for my camper and was wondering what oil do you use and why.

Chris P
11-27-2018, 03:31 PM
On new grills the oil will help season the grates and oiling it will keep it from rusting, any cooking oil of your preference will do.

sourdough
11-27-2018, 03:43 PM
First off, whoo hoo for you! I bought mine a while back and LOVE it!! You said it's for the camper; what size did you get? 17", 22"? As far as seasoning oil, I can't remember what was recommended for mine but it was something unavailable in our area. I looked up various oils for seasoning a flattop and people use all kinds of stuff. I used corn oil. I made about 5 passes of coating, cooking it in, smoothing it, cook it off; wipe down and repeat. Turned out fantastic. I will say if you got the 22" that my griddle warped and Blackstone sent me a new one so be aware of that. Good luck and have fun!

On The Road Again
11-27-2018, 05:49 PM
I bought the 17” model several months ago and seasoned it on the top and bottom in the house oven with several cycles using flaxseed oil. After that, I fired up the Blackstone burner and seasoned the top a couple more times. I now have a well-seasoned non-stick flat top, which we use every outing. After using it, I simply use the spatula to clean it and pour a small amount of Crisco on it while it is still hot and use a paper towel to distribute the oil. One of our favorite breakfast meals is to fry up some Owens sausage. While the sausage is cooking, I put some diced onions in one of the cooler corners and let them sauté. Once the sausage is almost done, I mix in the onions and break several eggs over the mixture and cook until done. Grate some cheese on top and serve.

Wingerdinger
11-27-2018, 08:35 PM
I actually got the Blackstone Tailgater, which is a grill/griddle combination. I love it. Nice and durable. There is a U-tube video out there, promoting the product, and he recommended flaxseed oil. I got excellent results using it.
You actually buy it at a health food store. The bottle states that it's not for cooking, so I only used it for the seasoning.

dhn
11-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Don’t own a Blackstone griddle, but do use cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. I only use Crisco shorting (the white stuff in a can) to season and protect them. The vegetable oils will turn rancid and get sticky if not use often.

Javi
11-28-2018, 03:43 PM
I seasoned mine with hog lard... was good enough for my mama and grandma... it's good enough for me.. :D

V2wings
11-28-2018, 06:45 PM
22” it was on sale at Home Depot for $100

Wingerdinger
11-30-2018, 08:36 AM
I think the idea with seasoning is you put a firm coat of oil into and on the surface. I think, if done properly, any oil will work, as long as you burn it in completely, so it doesn't turn rancid.
However, the flaxseed oil is the closest thing to linseed oil, without being toxic, so you get this hard, smooth coating, much like if you'd varnished it or something. It cleans easily by wiping it with a cooking oil coated paper towel (so far).
The stuff ain't cheap.. anybody wanna buy a 1/2 a bottle (joking)?
The idea of doing it in your oven is a good one, because the burners on the griddle aren't even heat, so you get the center of the griddle well seasoned, and the edges not as good.
I think I'm going to try to put it in my home outdoor grille, so I don't get the smoke in the house.

LewisB
12-06-2018, 08:48 AM
I think the idea with seasoning is you put a firm coat of oil into and on the surface. I think, if done properly, any oil will work, as long as you burn it in completely, so it doesn't turn rancid.
However, the flaxseed oil is the closest thing to linseed oil, without being toxic, so you get this hard, smooth coating, much like if you'd varnished it or something. It cleans easily by wiping it with a cooking oil coated paper towel (so far).
The stuff ain't cheap.. anybody wanna buy a 1/2 a bottle (joking)?
The idea of doing it in your oven is a good one, because the burners on the griddle aren't even heat, so you get the center of the griddle well seasoned, and the edges not as good.
I think I'm going to try to put it in my home outdoor grille, so I don't get the smoke in the house.

Flaxseed oil worked great on our Blackstone 17". I seasoned it on our backyard BBG grill - turned up all 5 burners, closed the lid, and let it bake at 500 - worked great.

Word of CAUTION: Blackstone's work so well, that you may end up being the primary chef for every camping trip:lol: We love it!

Cougar29FKS
12-06-2018, 10:40 AM
I used Flaxseed oil as well. I lightly coated it and let burn off on high until it quit smoking and let it cool before repeating. I think I did it 3 times and it turned out with a nice shiny seasoning.

Also I spray mine down with a light coating of PAM or other cooking spray when I am ready to store it to prevent rusting over time. Helps to have some kind of storage bag to put it in too.

Sinton4616
12-08-2018, 07:30 AM
The Blackstone Griddle looks pretty nice. What kind of table do you use for your griddle? I'm guessing plastic would melt?

buvens
12-08-2018, 07:36 AM
The Blackstone Griddle looks pretty nice. What kind of table do you use for your griddle? I'm guessing plastic would melt?

We just use a foldable plastic table from Wally World for ours. Works fine.
It is just like the other tabletop grills as far as not much heat underneath it.

Wingerdinger
12-08-2018, 07:40 AM
We have the Blackstone Tailgater Grille/griddle combo. It has both a grille box and a griddle. If your family is any size, it's not the one for you, but most of the time it's only two or four of us, so this one is perfect.
It has it's own legs.

sourdough
12-08-2018, 08:04 AM

We have the 22" and it came with a steel, collapsible stand for it. Works very well and very sturdy. It's big enough to actually cook full meals on for 2-4. I really like it.

EagleandFox
12-12-2018, 08:19 AM
I found an aluminum camp table where the tabletop rolls up and the legs fold up - stores nicely in a bag! The top is made of aluminum slats and my husband loves it because he can slide his spatula and tongs in between the slats because the griddle takes up most of the room on it.

Desert Dog
12-18-2018, 02:58 PM
For those who have had the Blackstone for a while, I know that you must oil the griddle after every use but has anyone had rusting problems with the gridding sitting in storage for extended periods?

sourdough
12-18-2018, 03:04 PM
I've let mine sit for a few months at a time without any problems. I do cook on it, clean it using oil, wipe it down, then re-oil it before putting it away. I also have a cover I keep it in. Living in the SW I don't have a lot of humidity and I'm sure that helps.

spade117
12-19-2018, 07:38 AM
Already had the 17" that stays in the camper, and now I have the 28" with stand that I got for my birthday. This one will be for home use.

My B-I-L has the 22" with stand and cooking cover. I really like the cooking cover, so I will have to come up with something for this 28". I did see a hard cover on Amazon, but from what I read, it is more for storage usage.

flrtrader
01-25-2019, 04:46 AM
So glad I found this thread, I bought a used 28" and need a few parts to fix a few things which is no problem. My question is how to plumb a external gas line on the rig to share the LP gas? Where does it tie in? Suggested piping? connections needed.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Wingerdinger
01-25-2019, 06:40 AM
Keith, it would be helpful for this, and future posts if you were to put your RV year, make and model in the signature line in your profile for us.
On my unit, the gas line pipe hangs on the frame, and was already plumbed for an external grille, so I just swapped the fitting and regulator on my Blackstone for a female quick-connect gas fitting.
When I got my unit (used, private party) my quick-connect valve had a slight leak, so I replaced it. They are readily available at the RV stores, and come in a kit with both the male and female end. It is a type that looks like a male air quick connect fitting, except it has a safety valve in the form of a lever, which locks the female end from the grille to it.
My unit uses conventional threaded 1/2" black gas pipe. If you have any gas appliances, just `T' into the line at the nearest point where you want your grille to attach. Be sure to check for leaks before using it, with soapy water.

travelin texans
01-25-2019, 08:21 AM
The simplest is to buy a "Y" for your propane bottle, if it's exposed, then have your local LP dealer make up a hose to whatever length you want. If the grill has a regulator this setup works great, if it doesn't you may need one on the hose. If you plumb into the line near another of the appliances you will need to remove the regulator from the grill if equipped.
My 5er had the bottle on the curbside, I used the Y & had a 25' hose made so I can place the grill anywhere I want, works great. Buying the parts at the LP dealer is usually cheaper than at at a rv dealer & you can get exactly what you want.

Racebug
01-25-2019, 12:29 PM
I made a few by tapping the threaded end of a quick disconnect fitting to 5/16ths course thread and putting that in place of the regulator. worked like a charm!
Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15958&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1523375044 (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15958&d=1523375044)