PDA

View Full Version : LCI 3.O Level Up system

Hey Louie
11-25-2018, 05:29 PM
Friends of ours just got a new Cougar travel trailer. I do not know the model but it does state half ton towable on it. It has the LCI 3.0 electric level up system on it. We have can work them twice and both times the system has either had the tires nearly off the ground or completely off the ground. This last time we lifted each side separately and placed some boards under the tires and releveled. I think he is starting with his tongue Jack too high. Is it ok for the trailer to set with the tires off the ground?

chuckster57
11-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Iíll be following this thread as I havenít had any hands on experience with the 3.0 for travel trailers. Ground control 3.0 on fifth wheels will lift tires off the ground to obtain level and I know itís not an issue with them. Iím thinking itís all good with the travel trailer system too.

GHen
11-25-2018, 05:36 PM
I had a similar problem with my 5th wheel. After unhitching I lower the front to near level and then turn on auto level. Always works correctly now.
I understand it is designed to handle the entire weight, but I like to keep some weight on the tires.

Hey Louie
11-25-2018, 05:39 PM
I was surprised when they told me their new TT had auto level. The rear jacks look like the ones on a 5th wheel but the front jacks look like super heavy duty stabilizers.

Canonman
11-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Dennis,
I believe what the Chuckster said 100%. However, my comfort zone is having all 4 wheels and the 4 leveling jacks on the ground.:D
Here's what I do if I get to a site that isn't level side to side or front to back or (usually) both:
I use the Camco Tri Leveler under the low side wheels to level side to side. Then use the front landing gear (tongue jack for your buddy) to level front to back. This gets me pretty close. Then I engage the leveling system (auto level). That fine tunes the level for the entire rig. Whole unhook and level process is less than 15 minutes.
I also use the stacking blocks under the landing gear and leveling jacks. Again, raising the low sides as needed.

Hey Louie
11-25-2018, 07:05 PM
Thanks Canonman, I'll pass your tips on to our friends.

Javi
11-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Does the 3.0 for travel trailers have 4 jacks or 2 and the tongue jack?

Hey Louie
11-26-2018, 09:45 AM
it has 4. the 2 in the rear are the tube type and the 2 in the front look like heavy duty stabilizers.

Ksupaul
11-26-2018, 05:08 PM
In my experience, yes it will lift tires off the ground depending on how unlevel the site is. I left it that way once and honesty didn’t notice much difference in how stable the TT was compared to wheels on the ground. The tongue too high at start shouldn’t matter, unless the 3.0 need more Hight to level and runs out of travel. If that happens, you will have an error.

That said if I thinks it’s unlevel enough to lift tires completely, I try to put something down and drive up on to level side to side a little closer. Same thing with tongue jack, although more than once the system needed a lower tongue and ran out of travel down because I had too much blocks. I have gotten decent at just eyeballing the site on whether something is needed or not. Usually though, I have luxury of knowing the sites that are pretty level and don’t need it or can go check them out first. Then just push the button and watch her go.

sourdough
11-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Does the 3.0 for travel trailers have 4 jacks or 2 and the tongue jack?

Javi, I don't know all the ins and outs of the 3.0 leveling system for travel trailers but they must make 2 kinds. I've looked at a lot of trailers where I require self leveling. Seems most trailers from Keystone have the leveling with 4 points (I just watched a video on an Outback that touted a 7 point leveling system?). I stopped at the CW in Tallahassee last spring and asked to see the biggest, nicest, most luxurious travel trailer they had with self leveling....a Jayco Eagle is what they had. The sales guy started telling me all about the leveling system (I sure think the feet that I saw had 3.0 in yellow on the bottom), but, it was a 3 point system; 2 straight down levelers as I recall and he said the 3rd "point" was the jack. I told him that was not top notch nor was it something that could work correctly.

chuckster57
11-26-2018, 07:37 PM
LCI makes the ďground controlĒ electric system and ďlevel upĒ hydraulic system.

BAL also makes an electric system for travel trailers.

Ground control comes in 4 or 6 jacks, on the fifth wheel system which includes the front landing gear. Level up is a 6 jack system which includes the front landing gear.

I havenít seen the Ground control or the BAL in person yet so I donít know the specifics.

If I remember right the Outback uses the BAL system.

maccam1
11-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Hey Louie I have a cougar ht,with auto level,first time I used it ,it lifted the tires,what you need to do after unhooking the tow vehicle,is lower the tounge jack,then system will auto level.

GHen
11-27-2018, 04:49 PM
I did read my owners manual on the 3.0 and it says it will lower the front to near level and then auto level all. My unit does not seem to handle that task well, so I also lower the front to near level and after that I push auto level. If I donít and the front is too high it has taken the tires off the ground.

Hey Louie
11-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Tongue too high seems to be the problem. My buddy was stacking 6 bys under the tongue jack. He had a chance to call LCI and they also suggested to put just one 2 by under the jack. He hasn't had a chance to try it but I'm guessing that's the cause based upon your all experiences and what LCI told him. Thanks for all your help.

mazboy
11-28-2018, 04:59 AM
have them watch the LCI video. https://www.lci1.com/ground-control-3#video

Tires can be off the ground but if the ground is level the trailer shouldn't be lifting the tires off the ground.

MarkEHansen
11-28-2018, 07:20 AM
Also, the Ground Control system will attempt to return the hitch coupler to the position it was at when the auto-level program was initiated - to make it easier to hitch up when departing. I've seen some say this feature doesn't work well, but it's worked for me every time (knock on wood :) ).

It's not that difficult to re-position the tongue after retracting the landing gear, but the feature is there if you choose to use it.

JackTyniec
12-02-2018, 08:48 AM
We have a 2018 Cougar 32 RLI with LCI 3.0 and have only had a couple of problems while learning how the system works in the beginning. I use a couple of 4 ft. long 2x8 boards to level the trailer from side to side if needed before using the system. I also put a few plastic blocks under each leg to avoid "out of stroke" error. I did have one instance of tires coming off the ground early on but none since using the boards. The Auto Level is very effective and I verify with a hand level.

Phil Saran
12-02-2018, 08:53 AM
On my previous TT’s and my new Cougar 5th wheel trailer I bought a couple of 2” x 8” x 5 foot boards and use them to level side to side then the front jacks to level front to back and the rear jacks are for stability.

MarkEHansen
12-02-2018, 09:25 AM
I'm curious why everyone seems so concerned with the wheels coming off the ground - some even going so far as to say it's not working correctly. As I understand it, the Ground Control 3.0 can support the weight of the trailer without the wheels touching the ground. In the cases where we have that with our trailer, I've not noticed any issue with the stability of the trailer - still feels rock solid.

Why not just let it do it's thing?

Note: Our system uses electric motors so there is no worry about losing hydraulic pressure and having one or more legs "fail".

Javi
12-02-2018, 09:54 AM
I'm curious why everyone seems so concerned with the wheels coming off the ground - some even going so far as to say it's not working correctly. As I understand it, the Ground Control 3.0 can support the weight of the trailer without the wheels touching the ground. In the cases where we have that with our trailer, I've not noticed any issue with the stability of the trailer - still feels rock solid.

Why not just let it do it's thing?

Note: Our system uses electric motors so there is no worry about losing hydraulic pressure and having one or more legs "fail".

I agree... I actually use the 3.0 Ground Control to jack the trailer up and remove the tires to rotate the tires or pack wheel bearings... a couple of weeks ago I did it to replace all four tires...

Third Degree
12-02-2018, 10:05 AM
I have the Cougar 27SAB with this system. Like others have said, when you unhook, bring the trailer to level with the front jack then hit the auto leveler. I don't like my wheels off the ground either but it can happen with an unlevel ground.

Howie
12-02-2018, 11:20 AM
suggestion to new owners friends..... unless there is really a lot of unevenness to a site the wheels shouldn't be off the ground.
This system has the ability for you to manually level the trailer. Next time out do this and get it level to your comfort, use a level or an app on your phone to accomplish level. Get out the owners manual and find the section where you can reset the system to use this setting as the auto level end point. It resets the system and uses this setting as the basis for future levels. My system didn't quite get to level until I rebooted. It is really simple to do, just follow a couple of steps as outlined in the users manual.

S&D--Forever
12-02-2018, 02:28 PM
A few of you really nailed down the correct answer. Once disconnected from the truck you must retract the tongue jack to the most level position possible. The TT Ground Control will then work its magic. After September 16th 2018 all of the trailers will no longer have this system. The"revised" 2019 Cougars have several changes. The revised trailers can be easily identified by the new black front cap. Additionally, Cougars now come with a full king bed,not the camp king bed. The ceiling is now barreled and there is a different appliance and color package. They eliminated the rear rack off the bumper and added a different and better entry step system. We ordered our "revised" 2019 26RBS directly from the factory and added the Lippert Ground Control TT as an option. Since the factory had only recently deleted the leveling system I added it on for only $1,000 instead of the $ 4000 actual cost.

Irv gates
12-03-2018, 07:50 AM
I have the libbert 3.0 level system on my 5th wheel. I had problems with the controls and the sysyem freezing on errors. I talked to the factory people about my problems and they were very friendly . I ended up replacing the control board and the display module to correct some problems and they walked me through each problem I had, I would call them if you have questions and you will get some good ideas and help. They have told me that even if the jacks raise your trailer off the ground , its not recommended to keep yor trailer in that position. Also do not run your jacks when your plugged into Shore power. It seems there has beeen some problems with electricical spiking that has corrupted the electronics in the Jack system. I did originality use my shore power hooked up when I was using the jacks but I dont anymore . I havent had any more problems since I started that. If I do I will call them. You can also go the the Libbert web site and pick up more Infro than you received when you got your system,

OregonDuck
12-03-2018, 08:42 AM
I have the LCI 3.0 on my 5th wheel, and when I first started using the system I would also have wheels lifting off the ground. Here's what I have learned over the past 6 months of using the system which has solved the issue for me. Unsure if these will remain true for a TT.

The front jacks need to be about 5-7" off the ground prior to lowering, to ensure they have enough room to extend/retract during the leveling process. Otherwise I found the system will compensate with the rear jacks, which leads to lifting of the tires.

Second, I have to use the "Drop front jacks" feature of the system vs manually lowering them. I read somewhere (may have been in this forum) that the system needs this as an element of knowing the position of the jacks? Don't know if this is true or not, but what I can tell you is that ever since I started using the system to lower the jacks vs. dropping them manually, the auto level worked without raising the wheels off the ground.

So again, not sure if a TT will work in a similar fashion. I don't know if it has an auto-lower function for the tongue jack or not. If it does, I would deff try using it. The advice given here on lowering the tongue jack before using auto-level sounds like solid advice, as I would imagine this would yield the same result as me leaving 5-7" of play in the 5'er front jacks.

Re: if it is ok to have the wheels off the ground specific to electric jacks; as far as I've been able to see in my research, they are built to handle the weight just fine but Lippert says they shouldn't leave the ground. And many online state that they say this now only for liability reasons. And although my Lippert manual says to keep them on the ground, I at one time was able to find a keystone video "commercial" of the system, where the entire right side of the TT was high, wheels up in the air. Hmmm....

So in the end, this can become another RV scenario (i.e. travelling with propane on or not :D) where you're left to making your own decision, and doing what you feel most comfortable with. I've read that some still do an initial "old-school" leveling with blocks prior to using the system, which many feel completely negates the purpose of having the system to begin with.

Good luck! Will be curious to learn if either of these options work for your friends, and hope it results with wheels firmly on the ground :)

OregonDuck
12-03-2018, 08:48 AM
BTW - here's that Keystone vid I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNpIfmwzSDY

Third Degree
01-19-2021, 09:25 AM
I eyeball the ground that the trailer is sitting on. Then I put leveling blocks under the pads as they come down. One side could have one 2”x10”x18” block and the other two stacked on top of each other. This gets me that extra so I don’t get the out of stroke message.

Rick328
01-21-2021, 06:55 PM
LCI makes the ďground controlĒ electric system and ďlevel upĒ hydraulic system.

BAL also makes an electric system for travel trailers.

Ground control comes in 4 or 6 jacks, on the fifth wheel system which includes the front landing gear. Level up is a 6 jack system which includes the front landing gear.

I havenít seen the Ground control or the BAL in person yet so I donít know the specifics.

If I remember right the Outback uses the BAL system.
Hey folks. I have an 2020 Outback with the BAL 3.0. It is a 7 point system.
The front Jack
2 jacks behind the axles
4 stabilizers (1 on each corner)
I love it.