PDA

View Full Version : Suburban SW12DE Water Heater

AlCherry
08-07-2011, 11:44 AM
OK. The last thing to check on the 3814 is the water heater. I'm using the mentality from the one on my Thor, an all gas system.
I turn on the gas, and flip the switch in the cabin. Normally the red light comes on when the pilot fires up. I get nothing. The book I got for the heater is not real clear on how this unit operates, nor is the owners manual for the RV. Looking inside of the compartment where the igniter and everything is, I notice a "ON/OFF" switch, which is on. After scratching my bald head awhile, I go in and turn on the hot water, and the water is hot. Bingo- I have an electric/gas system. Got it.
Now the question is: When does the gas kick in, and how do you do it? Does the gas kick in when there is no AC power? As I said, the manuals are not real clear on how to operate the system.
I appreciate your patience with me and thanks for the answers. Al

Johnnyfry
08-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Al,

If is like my 318SAB, the inside switch controls the gas side while the switch on the unit controls the electric.

Both are controlled by the water temp thermostat. I use the electric at all times unless I am either on no electric at all or the site has only 20 amps. If you are using a generator it is best to use the gas side as well.

John

AlCherry
08-07-2011, 12:41 PM
So, I guess if the water is already hot, then the gas has no need to kick in, if the thermostat shows it is hot, right? I'll shut the system down and let it cool off and see what happens.

Festus2
08-07-2011, 01:19 PM
On our Cougar, the black rocker ON/Off switch found on the inside of the exterior H/W access door is the only switch I have to control the electrical operation. If the switch is in the OFF position, it doesn't automatically go to gas and fire up the tank. I have to light the tank from the inside switch. If the exterior switch is in the ON postion, I can also heat the tank by using gas - so the tank is being heated by both electicity and gas. Other than the need for heating a cold tank faster, I don't see any need to use both.
If I run out of propane, it wont go to electricity unless I have that little rocker exterior switch turned ON.
The temperature is, of course, controlled by a thermostat and both will kick in when the temp falls below a certain point.
Not sure if any of this applies to your situation -- hope it helps rather than confuses.

AlCherry
08-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks Mr Festus. I shut the electricity off and when it cools down enough, we'll see if I can get the gas to kick in, probably next weekend. Al

therink
08-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Alcherry
Don't forget to make sure the electric element is turned off before you ever drcide to drain your water heater. If the element is dry when turned on, it will burn out really quick.
Steve

AlCherry
08-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Alcherry
Don't forget to make sure the electric element is turned off before you ever drcide to drain your water heater. If the element is dry when turned on, it will burn out really quick.
Steve
Thanks. Al