PDA

View Full Version : Oven thermocouple

kk6t
11-22-2018, 02:25 PM
I have a 2019 Montana. When starting the oven it's necessary to hold in the knob for over a minute and sometimes two to get the pilot to stay on. Is this a defective thermocouple?

JRTJH
11-22-2018, 02:46 PM
The instructions say to hold the knob in (bypassing the cutout) until the thermocouple heats up and will keep the safety valve open. If it's taking "too long" (a judgment call) for that to happen, then maybe your thermocouple isn't in the pilot flame??? or isn't in the correct part of the pilot flame???

There is an adjustment process described in the owner's manual for my Atwood stove. Essentially all it says to do is to bend the thermocouple so it's in the "blue part" (hottest area) of the pilot flame.

Maybe that's what's wrong with yours ??

kk6t
11-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Needing to hold down the knob for 2 minutes is definitely not a judgement call. The instructions say "10 to 15 seconds". Adjusting the thermocouple is certainly worth a try. Thanks.

sourdough
11-22-2018, 07:06 PM
The thermocouples are iffy. If it's taking 2 minutes but working I would suspect it is the positioning of the sensor. If the burner is dirty and putting out a yellow flame the sensor could be covered in soot and need cleaning, or, it just might need to be replaced. I used to keep spares at our various places for the hot water heater "just in case".