PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle Question - Dodge 2500

AlBeatty
11-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Yesterday I had the an unusual thing happen with my 04 Dodge 2500 tow vehicle (6 speed, standard transmission). I heard a vehicle honking like an alarm system had been set off. I went outside to see what was up and discovered it was MY vehicle making the noise and it does NOT have an alarm system (that I know about & I've had it since new in 04). I couldn't get the honking to stop so I ran into the garage to get my tool kit to disconnect the battery. I was gone only a couple of minutes when the honking stopped just as I was returning to the truck. Not knowing what happened, I disconnected the batteries to make sure I didn't get a midnight surprise. For now the truck is parked by the RV for the winter and will not be used until spring. Do any of you have an idea what kind of problem I have? Any thoughts would be most welcome. Take care & ...

Canonman
11-22-2018, 02:09 PM
Could be the panic alarm. Possible bad battery in the key fob

Carrottop
11-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Were the lights flashing as well as the horn? if it was just the horn my bet would be a faulty horn. If lights were flashing with the horn panic alarm issue as stated above.

sourdough
11-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Just a thought; how old and what shape is the battery? I had an 03 1500 that locked itself, flashed the lights and horn and would not let me in.....with about $150 of fresh seafood inside on a 100 degree day. Manually opened the door but nothing would work and things were acting really flakey. Locked it up, called Enterprise and they brought me a car. Drove home (60 miles), studied up, talked to my son (in the car business and knowledgeable) and went back the next day and put in a new Interstate....problem solved and didn't happen again.

Badbart56
11-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Sometimes Chrysler products also exhibit the horn sounding and lights flashing when they have computer issues. Often an internal BCM issue.

wiredgeorge
11-22-2018, 04:54 PM
If the battery was disconnected, suspect no error codes still there for checking what error(s) might have happened.

jsmith948
11-23-2018, 05:40 AM
On our Ford, the "panic alarm" would go off for no apparent reason (and almost always late at night). The problem got progressively worse until the auto lock feature would not engage and a "drivers door ajar" warning was displayed. Turned out to be a bad sensor in the door. When the sensor would quit working, the truck thought someone had opened a door and the horn would sound. Temporary fix would be to leave the truck unlocked.

rhagfo
11-23-2018, 06:34 AM
Were the keys and fob in your pocket??
I have both locked the doors and set off the panic alarm on my 2001 Ram 2500 when the keys were in a pocket and I sat down or bent over.
My "Horn" is an OTR truck air horn, that will wake you up!

hankpage
11-23-2018, 07:55 AM
On '04s with auto trans there was a reflash of the computer to make the horn blow if the trans was in reverse and the door was opened. There was also a reflash for white smoke at start-up often done at the same time. If you have a bad door sensor and you park your manual trans in reverse this may be the problem. If door is left open or lights are left on the computer will shut them off after ten minutes to prevent battery drain. Even if only one battery is bad the computer will do crazy things.
Aren't computers great??? http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1140

As mentioned, most likely the panic button is the culprit.

Logan X
11-27-2018, 09:10 AM
This has happened to me several times when the keys were in my pocket and I was bending down to work on something. Or if I leave my keys where my two year old can get to them.

AlBeatty
11-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Hi Group,

My thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'll keep them in mind as I check further into this. Take care & ...

Third Degree
12-02-2018, 10:09 AM
I woke up half the campground when we came in late and went to unhook and bent over. My keys were in my pocket and I hit the panic alarm just perfectly! And yes, I did it twice!

KingofCalif
12-02-2018, 11:16 AM
My 04 Ram2500 auto trans sometimes in reverse the horn honks nobody can tell me why. Don't think I had the door open. I noticed the gear indicator would flash the R when it did this. Go figure.

moparmad
12-03-2018, 06:27 PM
low batteries/dirty terminals, front control module and or corrosion on bottom side of PDC/fuse block by battery. a low battery can cause the front control module to freak out, if batteries are good and terminals are good. pull the PDC up and check under it by disconnecting all the plugs, all are color coded. been known to have water splash up and cause some corrosion if all that's good and your sure the key fob wasn't in play. its probably the front control module which is a common failure, I've been a tech for Dodge for 27 years and seen a lot of weird failures.

Jackitup
12-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Hi there
Look under the hood for a hood switch if so inspect the switch for a ripped rubber boot on the plunger. I know on older Fords the complaint that I would get when I was on the bench was” the alarm would randomly go off” the complaints were usually after it rained. Water gets into the switch, with the right conditions it would open the circuit an the horn will sound. Just a thought

Pmedic4
12-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Were the keys and fob in your pocket??
I have both locked the doors and set off the panic alarm on my 2001 Ram 2500 when the keys were in a pocket and I sat down or bent over.
My "Horn" is an OTR truck air horn, that will wake you up!

Just hate all these keyfobs that allow the buttons to be pressed way to easily! I work some part time construction, and I've done everything to setting off the panic button, to starting the truck and locking the doors 4+ times in quick succession, just by bending over to pick something up.

My son and I say we just want a keyfob with no buttons. Proximity door unlock, and push button start only if key in vehicle. Yes gives up remote start, but this could be a smart, or even a flip phone function via Bluetooth. Also doors would lock if key isn't in the truck for say, more than 20 seconds, or you lock as you get out.

sourdough
12-04-2018, 07:03 AM
I am glad to hear others have this same problem.:) I was writing it off to my pants getting tighter and tighter for some unknow reason :lol:

Our 4runner Limiteds have had the keyless entry, push button start etc. and we really liked it. Gave it up to get a TRD Off Road last year thinking I wanted all the off road gadgets....boy, we sure miss the push button etc. We have decided that a Limited will be the next one just to get the keyless operation back.

spade117
12-04-2018, 09:03 AM
I keep my keys on a carabineer hooked to a belt loop, so I have not has this happen.

PARAPTOR
12-04-2018, 12:33 PM
I am glad to hear others have this same problem.:) I was writing it off to my pants getting tighter and tighter for some unknow reason :lol:

Our 4runner Limiteds have had the keyless entry, push button start etc. and we really liked it. Gave it up to get a TRD Off Road last year thinking I wanted all the off road gadgets....boy, we sure miss the push button etc. We have decided that a Limited will be the next one just to get the keyless operation back.

Do not panic, same problem here, this new material really shrinks easily :lol::lol:

surfbeetle
12-05-2018, 11:11 AM
I want a physical sliding on/off switch on the keyfob and I want keyfobs to be water proof. If I go to the beach and want to lock fob in the car (but take the door key) with proximity sensor, it won't let me lock the doors.

66joej
12-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Best suggestion would be to buy a Ford with the door access pad.:D:hide:

surfbeetle
12-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Best suggestion would be to buy a Ford with the door access pad.:D:hide:
Had a Ford Flex and the only good part about owning a Ford was the access pad...