PDA

View Full Version : Slide Roof / Gearbox Leak

Wxman
11-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Just an update for those that may be interested. Just got the TT back, one day short of 3 weeks. Atwood furnace recall and slide roof bubbles from leaking gearbox on slide motor.
Replaced entire slide roof and added drip pan to gearbox. Did not replace gearbox or motor. I was expecting patches to roof. Advisor told me he didn't know why Keystone approved some patches and some replacements.
All good on the repairs as far as I can tell.

Battery was stone cold dead at pickup. Wouldn't even light the LED in the elec jack.:banghead::banghead:

RGreene
11-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Just had the same issue with our 2018 cougar. Dealer replaced the slide roof membrane and the gearbox. But no drip tray!

jsmith948
11-20-2018, 07:00 AM
If it were mine, I would MacGyver a drip pan. The new gearbox is going to eventually leak. JMHO...FWIW:)

Just chillin
11-20-2018, 12:43 PM
The bad part is they are still leaving the factory with the same problem. I just picked up my 2019 and both gearboxes are leaking onto the roof slide roofs.

RMC
11-26-2018, 02:33 PM
We are picking up our 2019 Passport 2200 this week-end. How do I check for this?

Excuse my ignorance but this is our first TT and we're not familiar with how slide-outs work.

As a side, the sales manager has been very persistent in pushing a topper for the slide on us ($500 USD option). Would this be part of the motivation in pushing the slide topper? Would the topper help with this issue?

JRTJH
11-26-2018, 03:05 PM
RMC,

The slide (any slide) should not leak with or without a slide topper. They are more a convenience to prevent debris from accumulating on the slide roof, to provide shade/cooling and to help keep the slide roof clean. They do provide a bit of "rain protection" but the slide should not leak even without a topper.

That said, the dealer's cost for the slide is probably 30% of the quoted price, installation is about 20% of the quote, so for him, he stands to make another $250 if you say yes.

Is it worth the expense? Some say yes, others say no. I will say that I see more trailers without slide toppers than with, but that again is a personal decision. You can always add them later. If you include it in the financing, you'll be paying interest on that $500 for the term of the financing, so the cost is more than "just the purchase price of $500"....

As for checking the motor/gearbox for oil leakage, with the slide partly in, use a flash light, peek over the top of the slide fascia and you should see the motor. Look for any oil puddling along the bottom of the motor and the gearbox. Then go outside, look at the same location on the slide TPO roof membrane. You should not see any oil or "puckered TPO" in the area adjacent to the slide flange in the area where the motor would be positioned when the slide is fully retracted (inside the RV).

jdixon980
11-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Just dropped my 2018 Cougar 367FLS at dealer Friday to have my slide out roof fixed. Both slide outs up front is bubbled. Requested new roofs instead of patches. Told service writer if Keystone don’t approve new slide out roofs to give me a call. Sure didn’t buy a brand new fifth wheel to have patches on slide out. Cost to much money!! It will be interesting to see what happens.

JRTJH
11-26-2018, 04:50 PM
If I had to have a patch on a EPDM or TPO roof, I'd prefer it be on the actual RV roof, not on a slide roof. The "wipers" and "seals" on a slide tend to drag over the roofing, adding a potential for the patch to be "peeled away" as the slide is retracted and extended for use. If there's any part of the roofing system that, IMHO, should be intact without repairs, it's the slide roof. YMMV

Troutbound1
11-27-2018, 04:48 AM
Dealer replaced slide box roof membrane and installed drip pan. No issue getting it repaired.

Fish
01-15-2019, 02:28 PM
My 367FLS is leaking oil from the slide motor onto the slide roof as well. I have talked with several dealerships and Keystone is not fixing the issue with the motor, just band aiding and letting the customer pay for repairs after warranty. This is insane. Yes, they may replace roof membrane and motor but that is not the root cause. The motors are defective and Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it.

Fish
01-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Just dropped my 2018 Cougar 367FLS at dealer Friday to have my slide out roof fixed. Both slide outs up front is bubbled. Requested new roofs instead of patches. Told service writer if Keystone don’t approve new slide out roofs to give me a call. Sure didn’t buy a brand new fifth wheel to have patches on slide out. Cost to much money!! It will be interesting to see what happens.
Hello - what is the outcome? Thanks.

MarkEHansen
01-15-2019, 02:51 PM
I doubt Keystone makes the motors so there may be little they can do other than repairing the damage and installing the drip pans.

The question I have is, why aren't they installing the drip pans proactively? Seems like they are banking on the fact that many folks won't notice the problem with their slide roofs until after their warranty runs out.

JRTJH
01-15-2019, 02:54 PM
My 367FLS is leaking oil from the slide motor onto the slide roof as well. I have talked with several dealerships and Keystone is not fixing the issue with the motor, just band aiding and letting the customer pay for repairs after warranty. This is insane. Yes, they may replace roof membrane and motor but that is not the root cause. The motors are defective and Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it.

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. The motor is defective, Keystone is replacing the motor. The slide roof is damaged from leaking oil, Keystone is replacing the slide roof (or repairing the damaged area). What rationale are you using to then say, "Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it" The two don't go hand in hand. Keystone is repairing the trailers and that can't be ignoring the problem ??????

Fish
01-15-2019, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. The motor is defective, Keystone is replacing the motor. The slide roof is damaged from leaking oil, Keystone is replacing the slide roof (or repairing the damaged area). What rationale are you using to then say, "Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it" The two don't go hand in hand. Keystone is repairing the trailers and that can't be ignoring the problem ??????
Well, replacing a defective motor with another defective motor is not solving the issue with the motor. Keystone should be working and putting pressure on the motor manufacture to correct the issue with the motor. Installing a new roof membrane and installing another motor that is going to leak, is just masking the real issue. I was told Keystone is aware that the motors are defective. What is the owner to do after warranty runs out and has to pay upwards of 1k to have repairs done on each slide.

Fish
01-15-2019, 04:39 PM
I doubt Keystone makes the motors so there may be little they can do other than repairing the damage and installing the drip pans.

The question I have is, why aren't they installing the drip pans proactively? Seems like they are banking on the fact that many folks won't notice the problem with their slide roofs until after their warranty runs out.
Adding a drip pan really just saves the membrane. A good thing, don't get me wrong, I agree with that. However, what happens when the oil drains from the motor and the motor seizes up and the slide wont come in. Keystone, if they don't manufacture the motor should be able to influence the manufacture to fix the issue. Could it be a revenue generator after warranty runs out.

chuckster57
01-15-2019, 08:53 PM
Revenue generater? Keystone isn’t going to make any money after the warranty period, the dealer will. There isn’t any “arrangement” between any dealer and manufacturer that I’m aware of.

travelin texans
01-15-2019, 09:00 PM
I have talked with several dealerships and Keystone is not fixing the issue

If you want to find out what Keystone is doing about any issue the last place I'd ask is a dealership, go straight to Keystone. The dealership will also tell you that you can tow that 40' you hauler with your 1/2 ton truck.

JRTJH
01-16-2019, 06:45 AM
It really sounds like this thread is turning into a discussion of "unending hypothesis".... If you buy a new GM, Ford, RAM truck and the windshield wiper motor "self destructs" when you take it to the dealership, they'll replace the motor (with another similar one) and repair any other damage done (under warranty). They WILL NOT give you an extended warranty and they will not "ensure an improved motor is designed by someone so you'll never have a problem again.

Sounds to me like some are expecting a fix that will guarantee it'll never happen again. First, NOBODY has established that the motors in question are, as a whole, defective (how many are in use and how many have failed?) and NOBODY has established that the motor manufacturer hasn't fixed the problem. One statement is that the motor seal was changed and is defective allowing the leak AND that some motor gearboxes were overfilled with oil. THOSE (not all) are suspected to be the ones leaking. How many were overfilled? How many trailers (out of the thousands built) by ALL manufacturers who used that motor are affected?

Since this is NOT a traffic safety hazard, no "mandatory recall will be ordered by NHTSA. It simply doesn't qualify as a mandated recall.

I understand that if YOUR trailer is affected, you deserve and expect repair, but this does not affect EVERY trailer with slides and it is not a safety hazard. Put into perspective, I believe Keystone is doing the right thing by repairing the trailers identified as damaged and I wouldn't expect them to recall every trailer and change out motors "just in case" any more than I'd expect GM, Ford and RAM to recall my truck because someone else had a windshield wiper motor fail.

Peacemkr53
02-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Like RMC I am taking possession of my 2019 Cougar 315RLS. Will be having the service dept go over the slide motors with me before we hookup.

JRTJH
02-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Like RMC I am taking possession of my 2019 Cougar 315RLS. Will be having the service dept go over the slide motors with me before we hookup.

Not to minimize your comment, but don't forget to find out where your water pump is located, where ALL of the dump valves are located, where the battery cutoff switch is located and how to winterize your water heater. Lots to go over when taking delivery of a new/used trailer, focusing on the slide motor is only one small part of inspecting your trailer !!!!!

Enjoy the process and hopefully everything will be in order.

Rubicon100
02-17-2019, 06:52 PM
I'm glad I found this thread, last fall I noticed a small bubble in the slide roof.
I'm out of warranty now but I made a small drip tray after reading about the problem. The bubble is really small, maybe a 2x2" spot and it isn't sticking up very high. Should I just keep an eye on it or is there any suggestion on how to repair the bubble? We bought the camper two years ago this March and have had pretty good luck with it, just some small issues we were able to fix but this one bothers me.
Any recommendations are appreciated. Dan

6.2 Superduty
11-10-2019, 10:26 AM
I just discovered my slide motor leaking and damaging roof. 2018 bullet purchased 18 months ago. Will see what dealer has to say about it.

Vet4jdc
11-10-2019, 12:24 PM
For anyone interested, Balco will send a Keystone owner drip pans free of charge if you call and ask for them. Easy to install yourself. They sent me three on request.

skids
11-10-2019, 12:31 PM
For anyone interested, Balco will send a Keystone owner drip pans free of charge if you call and ask for them. Easy to install yourself. They sent me three on request.

Do you have a phone number or contact?

Vet4jdc
11-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Do you have a phone number or contact?

Norco Industries Plate
3300 Reedy Drive
Elkhart, IN 46514-7665

Phone number is 574-262-3400

skids
11-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Norco Industries Plate
3300 Reedy Drive
Elkhart, IN 46514-7665

Phone number is 574-262-3400

Excellent! Thanks

Vet4jdc
11-10-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm glad I found this thread, last fall I noticed a small bubble in the slide roof.
I'm out of warranty now but I made a small drip tray after reading about the problem. The bubble is really small, maybe a 2x2" spot and it isn't sticking up very high. Should I just keep an eye on it or is there any suggestion on how to repair the bubble? We bought the camper two years ago this March and have had pretty good luck with it, just some small issues we were able to fix but this one bothers me.
Any recommendations are appreciated. Dan

I would cover the 2x2 spot with Eterna-Bond tape since you are probably out of warranty. Then install a drip pan to prevent further damage. Just my 2 cents.

Rubicon100
11-11-2019, 12:43 PM
I would cover the 2x2 spot with Eterna-Bond tape since you are probably out of warranty. Then install a drip pan to prevent further damage. Just my 2 cents.

Already done. Thanks.

GilaElkHunter
02-29-2020, 12:53 PM
I have my 2019 Montana HC 310RE in at service center to have this fixed and am being told that Keystone says they will pay for repair, but their idea of repair is 1. to install drip pans, and 2. put some tape such as eternabond on the bubbles.. I do not think this is acceptable. I didn't spend that much $$ to have a patched roof in 9 months, and I also don't like the idea of the tape running back and forth under the slide seals. I have told the service manager that I don't like that, and he says that is all keystone will pay for and that I should call keystone. I tend to get mad and fly off the handle. How do I express this to Keystone without both of us getting pissed and I don't get what I am after?

chuckster57
02-29-2020, 12:56 PM
I have my 2019 Montana HC 310RE in at service center to have this fixed and am being told that Keystone says they will pay for repair, but their idea of repair is 1. to install drip pans, and 2. put some tape such as eternabond on the bubbles.. I do not think this is acceptable. I didn't spend that much $$ to have a patched roof in 9 months, and I also don't like the idea of the tape running back and forth under the slide seals. I have told the service manager that I don't like that, and he says that is all keystone will pay for and that I should call keystone. I tend to get mad and fly off the handle. How do I express this to Keystone without both of us getting pissed and I don't get what I am after?

Odds are you not going to get a new slide roof. I wouldn’t call them, I’d send an email so it’s documented and there isn’t any question about what was said.

GilaElkHunter
02-29-2020, 01:16 PM
Odds are you not going to get a new slide roof. I wouldn’t call them, I’d send an email so it’s documented and there isn’t any question about what was said.

Thanks Chuckster
Not what I wanted to hear, but I might try the e-mail suggestion first. I am kinda old school in that I would rather talk to someone, but now days nobody does that, and understand I might need the paper trail.

JRTJH
02-29-2020, 01:33 PM
You're dealing with three "entities" with this issue. First is the dealership, second is Keystone and third is the slide motor/slide mechanism manufacturer.

The dealer's hands are tied for the most part. Keystone isn't going to spend money to repair an issue caused by one of their contractors and the contractor isn't going to "jump to the front waving a checkbook" as long as Keystone is taking the heat....

So, for the most part, Keystone will "authorize what the motor manufacturer will pay for".... Your "beef" isn't with Keystone as much as it is with the slide mechanism manufacturer...

In "the auto industry" Ford would "suck up the repair cost" and backbill the sub-contractor... This isn't the "auto industry" …..

Then, if you think about the Takata Air Bag issue, all the auto manufacturers are "waiting for replacements" because the entire industry was "screwed by Takata".... I can't begin to count the number of cars driving around with "questionable air bags" that will never be properly repaired, partly because Ford, GM, Toyota won't pay and partly because the issue isn't "front burner any more"....

With Keystone, who knows if they will buy you a new slide roof, but in reality, it's the slide motor manufacturer that's got you where you are, not Keystone.... Will they pay? Who knows ???

GilaElkHunter
02-29-2020, 02:06 PM
I do put the blame on keystone because apparently this has been going on for quite some time (a few years) and they are still using defective gearboxes. Yes the manufacture should have fixed the seals but keystone should have quit using them. In the auto industry if your brand new truck were leaking oil would you just buy a drip pan to put under it all the time? NO. But we are not talking about the auto industry we seem to be talking about an industry that can get away with sub-par quality.

JRTJH
02-29-2020, 02:31 PM
I understand your frustration, but I suppose what I tried to get across (and apparently didn't) is that you're "caught between three entities" all pointing fingers at the other two. I'd be very surprised if you get anything more than what the dealership has already told you. Calling, cussing, fussing and demanding don't usually work with Keystone.

6.2 Superduty
02-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Sorry I didn't update my slide roof problem. 2018 Bullet.I took a picture to my dealer they sent it to Keystone and was authorized a new slide roof. Everyone is treated differently.

MarkEHansen
02-29-2020, 04:48 PM
I really think it's up to how the dealer treats it. They have a lot of pull with Keystone. If this is warranty work, I wonder if you can find another dealer - if you can't get this one to get you the deal you want?

GilaElkHunter
02-29-2020, 06:24 PM
I understand your frustration, but I suppose what I tried to get across (and apparently didn't) is that you're "caught between three entities" all pointing fingers at the other two. I'd be very surprised if you get anything more than what the dealership has already told you. Calling, cussing, fussing and demanding don't usually work with Keystone.

I totally understand what you were saying, which is why I originally asked how to talk to them to get my point across without the cussing and fussing that doesn't work. I will e-mail tomorrow and see where it goes from there.

GilaElkHunter
02-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Sorry I didn't update my slide roof problem. 2018 Bullet.I took a picture to my dealer they sent it to Keystone and was authorized a new slide roof. Everyone is treated differently.

You are right in saying everyone is treated differently, It doesn't make sense that they replace for some and only repair for some, and I have read where some only get a good cleaning and maybe drip pans. Congrats on getting them to replace yours.

chuckster57
02-29-2020, 06:47 PM
An email allows you to edit it as many times as you need to get your point across without possibly offending someone from the start. You can’t take back anything spoken.

Having been in this industry for a few days, I can tell you that sometimes the customer has more weight with the factory than the dealer, and I have seen the dealer do better. Take your time, write your email. Read it and change it if your not happy with it, I wish you all the best for a favorable outcome.

GaryUT
02-29-2020, 08:49 PM

Had the same problem on our 2019 Laredo fifth wheel. Keystones authorized this on my trailer:

1 Clean the oil off with alcohol.
2 Use a heat gun to soften the membrane and press it down to remove the bubble.
3 Apply a 6" strip of eternabond the entire width of the slide.
4 Replace the gearbox and motor and install drip pan.

Gary

skids
03-02-2020, 11:18 AM
Does anyone have photos of the gear box drip pan as installed? Balco was nice over the telephone and is send me a drip pan kit. The customer service lady was friendly but she didn't think they had instructions.

GilaElkHunter
03-02-2020, 03:52 PM
Had the same problem on our 2019 Laredo fifth wheel. Keystones authorized this on my trailer:

1 Clean the oil off with alcohol.
2 Use a heat gun to soften the membrane and press it down to remove the bubble.
3 Apply a 6" strip of eternabond the entire width of the slide.
4 Replace the gearbox and motor and install drip pan.

Gary

Sounds close to what they authorized for mine except didn't hear anything about using the heat gun. Gary can you tell me if the slide goes out far enough for 6" of tape to pass under the black rubber seal? I am worried that it could roll up the tape over time. Thanks

Vet4jdc
03-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Does anyone have photos of the gear box drip pan as installed? Balco was nice over the telephone and is send me a drip pan kit. The customer service lady was friendly but she didn't think they had instructions.

You won't need instructions. It will be obvious how it mounts. The pan has two screw tabs and the bottom of the slide motor has a screw on each end. If you loosen the two end screws under the motor, the pan will fit over the screws and then simply tighten the screws. Done!

chuckster57
03-02-2020, 04:14 PM
If they are going to clean and install eternabond, I wouldn’t worry about it catching and curling. As much as I don’t like the stuff, I can attest to it’s adhesion qualities.

GilaElkHunter
03-02-2020, 04:19 PM
If they are going to clean and install eternabond, I wouldn’t worry about it catching and curling. As much as I don’t like the stuff, I can attest to it’s adhesion qualities.

You don't like the stuff and I don't want it on my brand new 5er. Sounds like we agree on something.

GaryUT
03-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Sounds close to what they authorized for mine except didn't hear anything about using the heat gun. Gary can you tell me if the slide goes out far enough for 6" of tape to pass under the black rubber seal? I am worried that it could roll it up the tape over time. Thanks

The eternabond is against the outside edge of the slide, so yes the seal rides over the edge of the eternabond when you close it. But the seal is folded inward as the slide is closing so it wont catch the edge.

The photo shows the slide completely closed, this was before I had them re-adjust the cables, and straighten the drip pan. For some reason they installed 2 pans, a large one and the small one that comes on some of the gearboxes.

GaryUT
03-02-2020, 06:26 PM
You don't like the stuff and I don't want it on my brand new 5er. Sounds like we agree on something.

I wanted the roof membrane replaced on the slide, but Keystone said they would only cover the repair.

JRTJH
03-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Here's a past photo of the drip pan and the installation. It's a straight forward process, just put yours on so they look like the photo.

GilaElkHunter
03-02-2020, 07:13 PM
I wanted the roof membrane replaced on the slide, but Keystone said they would only cover the repair.

Ditto
Thanks for the pic. Gary, the bubbles on mine are at the inside edge right behind the fascia, that's why I was wondering if that would ride under the seal.

GilaElkHunter
03-12-2020, 04:38 PM

Good news.. after much e-mail discussion with Keystone and my service dept. sending more pictures, Keystone has authorized replacement of the rubber membrane on two of three slide roofs, I am still begging for them to do the third as well. We will see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

chuckster57
03-12-2020, 04:51 PM
That’s great news. Fingers crossed for the third one.

Peacemkr53
03-13-2020, 07:53 AM
Good Luck. For the thread - Before I took delivery of my Cougar (315RLS) I found out about this issue and asked (nicely) if the dealership would kindly put the drip pans in place.....to prevent the issue. They did. Just my 2 cents.:)

6.2 Superduty
03-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Good news.. after much e-mail discussion with Keystone and my service dept. sending more pictures, Keystone has authorized replacement of the rubber membrane on two of three slide roofs, I am still begging for them to do the third as well. We will see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Is there a reason they are not replacing the third roof? When I showed a picture of my roof to the dealer they had never heard of th he problem.They are a large dealer and Bullet trailers are their biggest seller. I believe the problem occurs in the summer when closed up. They replaced my roof then it was transported to the factory to replace the floor.

GilaElkHunter
03-13-2020, 03:46 PM
Is there a reason they are not replacing the third roof? When I showed a picture of my roof to the dealer they had never heard of th he problem.They are a large dealer and Bullet trailers are their biggest seller. I believe the problem occurs in the summer when closed up. They replaced my roof then it was transported to the factory to replace the floor.

It is the dining room slide and truthfully it isn't bubbled nearly as bad as the other two.
My service dept. has been very helpful with all of my needs, but the lady at Keystone told me that they were told by service dept. that they could probably just clean and repair this one. My arguments are 1. If you are doing them do all three 2. I believe it is going to devalue when it comes time to trade/sale and 3. I didn't buy it with tape on the roof it should be returned to new condition

KRumm
03-15-2020, 05:44 PM

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169047-0001.pdf

skids
03-16-2020, 05:43 AM
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169047-0001.pdf

Thanks! That is a heck of a lot better than the instructions that Balco gave me. Fortunately, I don’t have gear oil leakage (yet) and will just be installing the pan.

GilaElkHunter
03-31-2020, 03:56 PM
I got a call from service dept. yesterday saying repairs are done and ready for pick up. It is 200 miles to go see, keeping my fingers crossed that all is done right and that I can bring it home. It is starting to warm up and we can still go camping on the forest, am anxious to do some social distancing.

6.2 Superduty
03-31-2020, 05:34 PM
I got a call from service dept. yesterday saying repairs are done and ready for pick up. It is 200 miles to go see, keeping my fingers crossed that all is done right and that I can bring it home. It is starting to warm up and we can still go camping on the forest, am anxious to do some social distancing.

Glad you are getting yours back. My 2018 Bullet is at the floor replacement plant. I assume the plant is closed.

GilaElkHunter
03-31-2020, 06:06 PM
Glad you are getting yours back. My 2018 Bullet is at the floor replacement plant. I assume the plant is closed.

Man!! That s##ks. Hope all turns out well, and soon.

EMTPRescue
04-15-2020, 04:14 PM
I am new to this site so please forgive me if this has been covered by someone in the past.
We have a 2019 Montana 3790RD the we just bought new as a late model year carry over.
What type of slide motor/gear assembly are causing all these oil leak problems.
The two main slides that we have are hydraulic over mechanical and are driven through hydraulic motors that extend and retract the slides with rams that are attached to the underside of the slide.

The other three slides are equipped with Lippert Schwintek systems that have two motors per slide in the two upper most corner of the slide opening.

Are these the motors that everyone is having so many problems with? A photo that one of you guys posted would lead me to believe that the problematic slide motors are NOT the Lippert Schwintek system that we have.

Can one of you guys let me know?

Thanks,
Dave Dubbin

sourdough
04-15-2020, 04:29 PM
I am new to this site so please forgive me if this has been covered by someone in the past.
We have a 2019 Montana 3790RD the we just bought new as a late model year carry over.
The two main slides that we have are hydraulic over mechanical and are driven through hydraulic motors that extend and retract the slides with rams that are attached to the underside of the slide.

The other three slides are equipped with Lippert Schwintek systems that have two motors per slide in the two upper most corner of the slide opening.

Are these the motors that everyone is having so many problems with? A photo that one of you guys posted would lead me to believe that the problematic slide motors are NOT the Lippert Schwintek system that we have.

Thanks,
Dave Dubbin

The ones I've seen and I'm aware of are not those that you have. They are the motors that sit above the slide boxes that use the cable system.

GilaElkHunter
04-15-2020, 05:32 PM

Thanks,
Dave Dubbin

Apparently the defective motor/gearboxes are manufactured by Norco Industries (China), and does not seem to be used on Montana's just the Montana High Country and others.

Eric363
04-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Has anybody ever got an estimate for a slide roof replacement?

Thanks, Eric

GilaElkHunter
04-17-2020, 01:40 PM
I asked for a quote in case Keystone wouldn't replace mine when it was at the dealership. I was quoted 9 hours labor @$140/hr + approx. $150 materials per slide. Glad Keystone came through and replaced 2 of mine.

Eric363
04-17-2020, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info. My camper is almost 3 years old and the slide roof had two 1/2" splits right at the edge the sidewall. No longer covered by keystone, but the roof manufacturer will cover $840 in labor and supply the materials. They figured 14 hrs @ $100 -40% for 3rd year of the warranty. I still waiting to hear back from a few places. They are also willing to cover $500 for a repair. I'm not sure what the better route is. Thanks again.

JRTJH
04-18-2020, 04:49 AM
From a "no leak" perspective, I'd suppose that either a repair or a replacement would be essentially equal. If the roof is not leaking after repaired, it's the same as not leaking after being replaced.

That said, from a "value perspective", at resale/trade in time, a "not leaking roof that looks original" will probably not deduct from the overall value while "a roof with patches and not leaking" would raise questions of previous leaks and underlying water damage as well as the repaired roof would bring uncertainty about what's under the patch and likely decrease the trade value or cause some buyers to be reluctant to buy the trailer "because of roof leaks".... We see reports of that on this forum nearly every day.....

Eric363
04-18-2020, 05:04 AM
Exactly one of my thoughts. I just don't know if replacing the roof would open a bigger can of worms.

JRTJH
04-18-2020, 05:55 AM
A "COMPETENT" repairman would, in nearly all situations, not "run into other problems" that weren't seen during the initial inspection. Most will add enough "cushion" to the estimate to cover those situations. That said, at least for me, if I see a repaired fender on a car and it "looks seamless with proper matching paint, properly aligned and no defects on inspecting the repair" I'd put that vehicle into a different category from one with a fender that has a ripple, the paint is slightly off color and has some "fisheyes" in it.... That vehicle, I'd probably walk away from, even if everything else is "pristine"....

So, for me, a patched roof is a "no go"... Others may (probably will) feel differently, but...…

As for "opening a can of worms as the repair progresses" depending on the repairman/repair facility, I wouldn't worry too much about that....

Rubicon100
06-16-2020, 06:27 PM
Well it's been over a year since I put the drip tray on and cleaned the roof membrane with alcohol,
I then used some eternabond to cover the bubbles and I have had no issues except the drip tray isn't very deep.
I keep an eye on it and wipe it out when it needs it.
Dan