PDA

View Full Version : Kick *** Suspension?

BRB Rig
11-16-2018, 08:18 PM
https://tfwebdesigner.com/images/overloaded.jpg

After several garage sales, trips to Goodwill, and Craigslist sales, we managed to unload a 2K+ sq. ft. home into a 10' x 10' storage unit and our rig (2015 Fuzion 325). Carrying near capacity (16K+), we took our first trip beyond 100 miles and the rig faired well on its G-rated tires at 105psi and CRE3000 equalizers. But, we are still concerned about extensively traveling with it throughout the US and Canada. The CRE3000 equalizers are great, and we want to further retrofit the axles. A local semi-truck body shop took a gander under the rig and told us that two additional springs would help. We also learned about the MORryde crossmember. What have y'all done to your rigs to lend you a little peace of mind?

flybouy
11-16-2018, 08:47 PM
I think mine has more hp than that.

bobbecky
11-16-2018, 09:23 PM

After several garage sales, trips to Goodwill, and Craigslist sales, we managed to unload a 2K+ sq. ft. home into a 10' x 10' storage unit and our rig (2015 Fuzion 325). Carrying near capacity (16K+), we took our first trip beyond 100 miles and the rig faired well on its G-rated tires at 105psi and CRE3000 equalizers. But, we are still concerned about extensively traveling with it throughout the US and Canada. The CRE3000 equalizers are great, and we want to further retrofit the axles. A local semi-truck body shop took a gander under the rig and told us that two additional springs would help. We also learned about the MORryde crossmember. What have y'all done to your rigs to lend you a little peace of mind?

You might consider the MORryde IS (independent suspension) and maybe also the disk brake option too. These two upgrades will give you a much better ride and also give you excellent braking. It's not cheap, but well worth the money. http://www.morryde.com/products/87-independent-suspension-system

fourfourto
11-17-2018, 08:31 AM
the first dodge ram didn't have much payload :popcorn:

fourfourto
11-17-2018, 08:34 AM
:popcorn:
reminds me of this load I brang upstate:facepalm:

Buck1032
11-17-2018, 12:00 PM

This reminds me so much of things I have seen in Kowloon, Hong Kong. LOL

notanlines
11-17-2018, 12:20 PM
442, why not just hook your second trailer behind the first.....triple tow and you drag twice the stuff��

fourfourto
11-17-2018, 02:38 PM
:lol:
H3 don't have enough power I would never get up those hills .

Took the camper.
2 more loads below
Then a 26ft uhaul
250 miles
5 loads

It been a long time since I did 5 loads :angel::whistling::facepalm:

travelin texans
11-17-2018, 05:27 PM
If you want the ultimate suspension the the MorRyde IS with disc brakes & 17.5" H rated tires/wheels is the upgrade to purchase. As stated it's not cheap, but once & done with nothing on the market to beat it. Especially not cheap it your TH has triple axles..

Laredo Tugger
11-17-2018, 06:35 PM
travelin texans: I went to the MorRyde website but did not find any suspension parts.I was trying to figure out what the price per axle was for the modifications you listed.
Do you have a ballpark figure?
I have a 2017 Keystone Laredo 350FB -16" wheels.
Thanks
RMc

JRTJH
11-17-2018, 06:56 PM
In the past year we've had several members install Mor-Ryde IS suspension systems and disc brakes on their trailers, Here are a couple of the threads:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35422&highlight=suspension

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33693&highlight=suspension

There are several more threads on the forum, but this will get you started. Any specific questions, maybe a PM to one of the members who has done or had the work done can give you specific answers.

77cruiser
11-17-2018, 07:56 PM
travelin texans: I went to the MorRyde website but did not find any suspension parts.I was trying to figure out what the price per axle was for the modifications you listed.
Do you have a ballpark figure?
I have a 2017 Keystone Laredo 350FB -16" wheels.
Thanks
RMc

7K with disc brakes, gonna have mine done in May.

mazboy
11-18-2018, 05:23 AM
what concerns do you have on the suspension? just keep checking it. do you have the 1/2 inch shackles? that will help. and the cross member does help, I did my own to reduce the stress.

you can also upgrade your springs or axles too. And there is always the IS system, if you want to spend another $6000-$7000.

so it just depends on what you want to do.

curious about what the man said about 'adding' another spring? what? really?

You probably have 7K axles, just change the spring out to a 8K spring. it won't change your axle weight but they would be stronger springs

check and get alignments ( once a year on alignments) frequently.

itat
11-18-2018, 05:39 AM
If you can afford the MORryde IS axles it would be the best upgrade. If that’s not going to fit your budget maybe go to the SRE4000 and add some Joy Rider shock absorbers. LCI has a shock kit too but I’m not a big fan of LCI products.

Laredo Tugger
11-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Yikes!!!
For 7K I'll stay with the existing trailer configuration.
That will buy a lot of diesel and campsites. I am not full timing so that modification will not be needed. Would be nice but not necessary.
RMc

66joej
11-18-2018, 04:08 PM
How about that Joey Logano!:flowers:

travelin texans
11-18-2018, 05:06 PM
LCI also an air system to replace the equalizer between the springs called "Center Point" which has good reviews & cost less than half of the IS.
IIRC the IS alone is about $3700. I had the Titan disc brakes added by Performance Trailer Braking for $2700 ($1700 for system, $1000 installation at my location) & at the time they had a special deal on 17.5 H rated tires, wheels & new lug nuts $1300 for Sailun tires & $2000-$2200 for the Goodyears.

77cruiser
11-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Yikes!!!
For 7K I'll stay with the existing trailer configuration.
That will buy a lot of diesel and campsites. I am not full timing so that modification will not be needed. Would be nice but not necessary.
RMc

I'm hoping I won't have parts falling off anymore. Get tired of putting interior trim back on.
BTW 4250 for just the suspension 8K axles. 6800 with brakes.

Ddubya
11-19-2018, 04:42 AM
I added SRE4000, disc brakes, wet bolts and MorRyde braces between each axle hangers I ask Morryde about shocks and they said they did not recommend them with the SRE4000. It's not IS but I am not full time.

Laredo Tugger
11-19-2018, 03:10 PM
$7-$10K to help the furniture in my trailer have a smoother ride?
No thanks.
I'll just fix the trim ect.. for that much money.
And I am not saying whoever has done this upgrade is wrong.Good for them.
RMc

travelin texans
11-19-2018, 08:00 PM
The $2700 spent for disc brakes was worth every dime! If you've never towed one with disc brakes, it's absolutely night/day difference, you can actually tell the truck/rv are braking as one.

Laredo Tugger
11-20-2018, 10:20 AM
I agree.
Of all the modifications listed and if I could only do one, disc brakes would be my first choice. I may have to look at these in the near future.
Thanks
RMc

trucker LOU
11-20-2018, 09:15 PM
X2 or more. did discs 2 years ago. best update by far. super stopping power has been tested surviving "karpool kamakazis" ,---Lou---

chuckster57
11-21-2018, 05:16 AM
Trucker: looking at your pics, it looks like the bleeder valves are on the bottom, shouldn’t they be on the top?

trucker LOU
11-21-2018, 10:27 PM
Good eye Chuck, the calipers have 2 bleeder fittings ,both top & bottom---Lou---

chuckster57
11-22-2018, 02:54 AM
Good eye Chuck, the calipers have 2 bleeder fittings ,both top & bottom---Lou---

I see that now. I saw the hose and it at first glance it looked like it was connected to the top bleeder.....put my glasses on and zoomed in LOL

McRod
11-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Our rig had 7k axles and we had continual abnormal tire wear and broken leaf springs. We were overweight.

Upgraded to 8k axles, leaf springs, and 8k disc brakes, air bag center point. Have put about 30k miles on trailer since complete suspension upgrade and its been great, fixed abnormal problems. Cost was $4k and i can get parts from most anywhere, doesnt require specialized techs or location like Morryde IS.

BRB Rig
11-25-2018, 09:40 AM
Thank you for the recommendations and warnings about retrofitting our suspension. Despite the load balance between the tongue weight and axle weight, we’re disappointed about the 7K axles. We’ll be adding an upgrade to 8K to our todo list. We also intend on getting the disc brakes.

For now, we’ve opted for getting our 6-leaf spring set up replaced with 8-spring. We also are going With the wet bolt shackle system and the crossmember.

:)

BRB Rig
11-28-2018, 10:38 PM
We had $1350 worth of suspension work done today. An 8-leaf spring upgrade, new wet shackles and accessory bolts replaced around the CRE3000 eqs, and a MorRyde crossmember installed. The rig rides 3+ inches higher and our dually isn’t as low in the rear anymore. We were getting 7 to 9 mpg and, on the drive to the CAT scales, we averaged 12 a 13. Pretty cool. What’s not cool is the report we received from the weigh in. 17,240 lbs! We’re 740 lbs over capacity and we don’t even have the touring bike in the hauler! :(

flybouy
11-29-2018, 04:59 AM
We had $1350 worth of suspension work done today. An 8-leaf spring upgrade, new wet shackles and accessory bolts replaced around the CRE3000 eqs, and a MorRyde crossmember installed. The rig rides 3+ inches higher and our dually isn’t as low in the rear anymore. We were getting 7 to 9 mpg and, on the drive to the CAT scales, we averaged 12 a 13. Pretty cool. What’s not cool is the report we received from the weigh in. 17,240 lbs! We’re 740 lbs over capacity and we don’t even have the touring bike in the hauler! :(

Was that ride home downhill? Not trying to be confrontational but a 33% increase in mpg?

notanlines
11-29-2018, 05:01 AM
BRB, with almost 4K of cargo capacity in that hauler, how can you be that far over without your bike?

ctbruce
11-29-2018, 05:35 AM
Curious minds want to know, what in the world have packed in there? That's a lot of sweaters.

BRB Rig
11-29-2018, 06:51 AM
Was that ride home downhill? Not trying to be confrontational but a 33% increase in mpg?

It could very well have been that we had a tailwind behind us, difficult to tell. The roundtrip was a little more than 110 miles. Our GMC average for 50 miles readdng went from 7.8 mpg to 12.2 mpg by the end of the trip. :)

BRB Rig
11-29-2018, 07:05 AM
BRB, with almost 4K of cargo capacity in that hauler, how can you be that far over without your bike?

We're living full-time in the rig so there's stuff that needs to go to storage. We forgot about some lumber, mainly 2"x4"s in the pass-through storage. Doh! We also didn't have the two smaller heavy toolboxes in the truck. We're getting a 5th wheel toolbox to store the tools in the truck bed. We have about 100 lbs of books that need to go as well. The six 6v golf cart batteries were in the hauler too. Two queen size Tempurpedics are a weight hog as well. :(

flybouy
11-29-2018, 07:15 AM
It could very well have been that we had a tailwind behind us, difficult to tell. The roundtrip was a little more than 110 miles. Our GMC average for 50 miles readdng went from 7.8 mpg to 12.2 mpg by the end of the trip. :)

You must have been followed by a hurricane to get a 36% increase! :ermm:

BRB Rig
11-29-2018, 07:27 AM
You must have been followed by a hurricane to get a 36% increase! :ermm:

No hurricanes here. However, it's been windy. :)

travelin texans
11-29-2018, 07:59 AM
If your using the mpg from the DIC it's usually VERY optimistic, as on most all brands of vehicles, hand calculations are the only accurate figures. To have had that much increase you had to have had a tailwind + slightly downhill as suspension upgrades shouldn't/couldn't increase fuel mileage. I also have a GMC & it will average 9 to 12 mpg hand calculated.
As for your weight, everything you're hauling must be very heavy. We've fulltimed, not in a toy hauler, for 10 years & every time I weighed we were within 100 lbs+/- of the GVW on the rv with 7k axles & never had a suspension issue. I did change to MorRyde heavy shackles & wet bolts removing the factory plastic bushings in the 1st few months of owning.

BRB Rig
11-29-2018, 08:08 AM
If your using the mpg from the DIC it's usually VERY optimistic, as on most all brands of vehicles, hand calculations are the only accurate figures. To have had that much increase you had to have had a tailwind + slightly downhill as suspension upgrades shouldn't/couldn't increase fuel mileage. I also have a GMC & it will average 9 to 12 mpg hand calculated.
As for your weight, everything you're hauling must be very heavy. We've fulltimed, not in a toy hauler, for 10 years & every time I weighed we were within 100 lbs+/- of the GVW on the rv with 7k axles & never had a suspension issue. I did change to MorRyde heavy shackles & wet bolts removing the factory plastic bushings in the 1st few months of owning.

We thought that the reading was a bit optimistic. The tow sure does feel better, money well spent. We invested in a postal scale that has a 440 lb threshold. We already began weighing stuff and putting aside things for storage. We're working on the lumber in the pass-through now. Thereafter, we'll pay another visit to the scales. :)

Tinner12002
12-05-2018, 02:41 PM

Well if its any comfort, before we purchased our 428 Raptor I questioned a factory rep about the lack of CC in our hauler, only 2900lbs with a 19K GVWR, 3-7K axles on 6-Sailun tires rated for over 24K. What he explained to me was that we could if we wanted too, load it up to 21K not exceeding the axle rating but it would be illegal if we were stopped and weighed but the RV would handle it...but of course that wasn't in writing...lol! I've weighed it without the bikes and full of water and figured I'd be around 20.5K when loaded with water and bikes though probably wouldn't have to carry the water.
Then the next weak link might be the pinbox.

BRB Rig
12-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Well if its any comfort, before we purchased our 428 Raptor I questioned a factory rep about the lack of CC in our hauler, only 2900lbs with a 19K GVWR, 3-7K axles on 6-Sailun tires rated for over 24K. What he explained to me was that we could if we wanted too, load it up to 21K not exceeding the axle rating but it would be illegal if we were stopped and weighed but the RV would handle it...but of course that wasn't in writing...lol! I've weighed it without the bikes and full of water and figured I'd be around 20.5K when loaded with water and bikes though probably wouldn't have to carry the water.
Then the next weak link might be the pinbox.

Thanks for the insight Tinner! We’ve also met RVers who have been carrying excessive payloads without a hitch (pun intended). They’ve told us it’s all about how things are balanced in the rig and maintaining tire pressure and suspension maintenance. :)

NevadaRich
12-06-2018, 10:37 AM
BRB, I don't have a Keystone anymore, but still have a toyhauler, when we go for our long trips, we bring the Side by Side, which brings us close to 24K I do have a 25K Hitch, but I still am trying to drop weight.....My TV is a 2013 Chevy 3500HD CC, but its loaded. If I could get the wife to remove a few things (Dreaming) I would like to get closer to 20K, or move to a Fright-liner Truck LOL