PDA

View Full Version : Fridge is too cold

Logan X
11-16-2018, 08:02 AM
I have a dometic absorption fridge. I have a problem with items in the fridge freezing even though I slid the temperature gauge all the way down in the warmest position. Does anyone have a solution?

JRTJH
11-16-2018, 10:07 AM
First, is the thermistor properly positioned in the plastic holder and is the plastic holder properly positioned on the cooling fin? If so, you might move the plastic holder to the left (to the next fin) and try there.

There is a potential that your control board (in the back of your refrigerator, under the black plastic cover) has failed and the refrigerator is in "limp mode". If the control board fails, the refrigerator thermistor system will go to "always on" as a "fail safe means of protecting the refrigerator contents". It's designed so that the refrigerator won't "leave you with spoiled food" (although frozen lettuce isn't exactly "unspoiled")....

chuckster57
11-16-2018, 10:30 AM
I agree with John. Most likely a thermistor issue. Make sure its plugged into the control board too.

Logan X
11-17-2018, 03:46 PM
First, is the thermistor properly positioned in the plastic holder and is the plastic holder properly positioned on the cooling fin? If so, you might move the plastic holder to the left (to the next fin) and try there.

There is a potential that your control board (in the back of your refrigerator, under the black plastic cover) has failed and the refrigerator is in "limp mode". If the control board fails, the refrigerator thermistor system will go to "always on" as a "fail safe means of protecting the refrigerator contents". It's designed so that the refrigerator won't "leave you with spoiled food" (although frozen lettuce isn't exactly "unspoiled")....
I checked the thermistor placement in the clip and moved it to the next fin. It seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you!

chuckster57
11-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Looks like you got it, Good deal!

sourdough
11-17-2018, 04:10 PM
I just want to say THANKS! to all the members that give so much to help so many. It's really nice to see how folks how one another on our forum!

travelin texans
11-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Adding the small battery fridge fan in the bottom shelf also helps with better cooling.

Gegrad
11-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Now my question is WHY moving the thermistor over one fin would have solved the problem? Location that critical? What is the actual mechanical process that moving it would change things so dramatically?

chuckster57
11-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Location is critical. Norcold issued a bulletin with a picture of where they want it. Dometic is the only one I am familiar with that has adjustable thermistors. It may be its placement in the “path” of the cooling unit that matters. I don’t really know, but it sounds good. Right?

Gegrad
11-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Location is critical. Norcold issued a bulletin with a picture of where they want it. Dometic is the only one I am familiar with that has adjustable thermistors. It may be its placement in the “path” of the cooling unit that matters. I don’t really know, but it sounds good. Right?

Ha, yeah, sure does sound reasonable. I am just surprised that that small of an adjustment would have that huge of an effect. Doesn't seem like that fine tuned of a machine, like say adjusting a carburetor or something.

JRTJH
11-17-2018, 08:08 PM
The thermistor operation is strictly controlled by FM thermocoupling...

What that means is "it works by Freaking Magic to control temperature"....

Well, that's not "exactly how it works" but good enough for me.

Gegrad
11-17-2018, 08:11 PM
The thermistor operation is strictly controlled by FM thermocoupling...

What that means is "it works by Freaking Magic to control temperature"....

Well, that's not "exactly how it works" but good enough for me.

:lol::lol::D

Bob Shaw
11-21-2018, 01:37 PM
Be careful when messing with the thermistor. My wife knocked the end off of the thermistor on my previous trailer when she was cleaning it, and I guess it went into limp mode, and my freezer completely iced-up. I bought a new thermistor, but ended-up trading it in before I installed it.

Claudius
11-25-2018, 08:44 AM
I have a dometic absorption fridge. I have a problem with items in the fridge freezing even though I slid the temperature gauge all the way down in the warmest position. Does anyone have a solution?

I installed a new 2852 in my 2013 hideout, the atwood was just a cheap fridge.
Anyway i noticed right away this dometic was designed a bit different in the back then my 2652 i had in my 2010. I noticed that the new one cooled even better, but lol it froze my food at the top. Eggs needed to go to the bottom now. I took the thermister off for now, laid it on the tray. I have a Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit - Snip The Tip. I'll install it next year. I did some cold tests and phoned Dometic to confirm, the thermister does not control the freezer. Just to be on the safe side. I changed the thermostat in my hot water tank also because that was way to hot. No quarrels about having an adjustable temp in my fridge. Yes, Yes no warranty after you do this.
https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Irv gates
11-28-2018, 01:38 PM
The fins made not show the temperature across them equally so repostioning the sensor could raise or lower what the thermostat feels .