PDA

View Full Version : Newby - Is this right? Water Heater Drain Plug

WestCoastWanderer
11-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Hi all,

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question. I have been winterizing my 2018 Cougar 21RBS. Being new to the trailer, I have relied upon the forum for tips to make sure I get it right. Today, when I drained the water heater, the plug did not look like I might have imagined upon removing it to drain the water heater. Is it supposed to look like this? Please advise as I believe that the trailer is ready for winter with this exception. Thank you in advance for words of wisdom.

66joej
11-12-2018, 04:35 PM
That is an anode rod. It is used to protect a Suburban water heater. Just replace it next spring.

Tbos
11-12-2018, 04:36 PM
That is correct. That’s the Anode and the plug. That Anode looks like it will need to be replaced for the next season.

K_N_L
11-12-2018, 04:38 PM
They are ‘sacrifical’ anodes and I’d say that one has been sacrificed. They are cheap to replace. Mine have made it a couple of years depending on usage and water quality. Seems a bit aggressive for one season.

WestCoastWanderer
11-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks a bunch. I will reinsert it for the winter and then remove and replace it in the spring. We camped in the TT about three weeks total this past summer. About half with full hook-ups and half dry camping. I will be getting an in-line filter over the winter. It sounds like the filter might help.

WestCoastWanderer
11-12-2018, 04:59 PM
One other thing. Does the anode rod detach from the plug, or is this a one-piece change out? Thanks again.

JRTJH
11-12-2018, 05:04 PM
That's a "normal" anode rod after about 50% of it has been "consumed" or "sacrificed" to protect the porcelain tank lining. If it were me, I'd toss that one and install a new one next year. Don't forget the white Teflon tape on the threads.

Here is a drawing of some "typical anode rods" for your comparison. The first photo shows a good (new) anode and a worn (bad) one and one that's similar to yours, that I'd replace.

Tbos
11-12-2018, 05:19 PM
I leave my anode out during the winter and put some old stockings in the hole so the tank can breathe.

WestCoastWanderer
11-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the technical assistance. I'll install a new rod in the spring. I appreciate all the help.