PDA

View Full Version : Run cables from Battery location to Control Panel wall

davidaf
11-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Good evening, new owner of a 2012 Couger. Owned many a rig before this but wanted a "little" rig for short trips and state parks. We full time in a 43 foot some other brand that doesn't fit so well in smaller parks.

In the process of installing an inverter and solar. Everything is easy enough since i've been around these systems for long enough to know how to do the core cabling but getting the wires from the battery location in the front basement to the control panel wall looks a bit challenging. I'd like to mount a remote on off switch for the inverter and a monitor for the solar charger and leave a string for a later sub panel install. In the past i've plunked down $ to have the whole system installed but this one i'm going to do myself.

Anybody have any words of wisdom on where and how to run these cables? They are cat 3/5 cables so not worried about large gauge 12v just need to figure out the best route to fish these things.

Thanks,
dave.

chuckster57
11-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:
We use the basement and remove the rear wall to hide things. Depending on where the monitor panel or breakers are located, it’s easy access from under the steps to the bedroom. We also routinely open walls to run solar and such. It’s not hard just time consuming. You’ve come to the right place for help.

davidaf
11-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Thanks Chuckster, this basement is tiny compared to my other rigs. I'll squeeze my oversized frame in there and see if i can find any visible screws on the basement walls. First glance I didn't see any but it's gotta be hung with something.

mhbell
11-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Good evening, new owner of a 2012 Couger. Owned many a rig before this but wanted a "little" rig for short trips and state parks. We full time in a 43 foot some other brand that doesn't fit so well in smaller parks.

In the process of installing an inverter and solar. Everything is easy enough since i've been around these systems for long enough to know how to do the core cabling but getting the wires from the battery location in the front basement to the control panel wall looks a bit challenging. I'd like to mount a remote on off switch for the inverter and a monitor for the solar charger and leave a string for a later sub panel install. In the past i've plunked down $ to have the whole system installed but this one i'm going to do myself.

Anybody have any words of wisdom on where and how to run these cables? They are cat 3/5 cables so not worried about large gauge 12v just need to figure out the best route to fish these things.

Thanks,
dave.
Dave here is a link to my blog and how I did it.
Mel
https://rvbloggers.wordpress.com/2018/10/19/revamp-my-solar-system/

Or CLICK HERE (https://rvbloggers.wordpress.com/2018/10/19/revamp-my-solar-system/ )

davidaf
12-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Ended up running cables through a small hole i drilled between the battery compartment and the basement along the beams inside some of that stick on conduit you buy to hide cables. To reach the control center wall, i ran the cable to the very front left corner of the basement where there is a small hole to gain access to the AC center. On the right size behind the AC center is a sort of conduit where all the cables run. I used some fish tape to pull the cables up the wall. I was surprised there wasn't easier access to run the cables up the wall but she's done now.

By the end i was tired and my hands were torn up from trying to get the cable up the wall. Had i waited a day or a few hours i probably would have done a better job getting things level. Wife never yelled so it's a win.

A few months from now i'll add a couple panels to the roof for now it's 400w of portables that i can move where the sun is best.