PDA

View Full Version : Tanks open during the winter?

Mandersoon
11-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

The campground I am at sent out an advisory note to campers recently, providing a checklist of things to do for those that are over-wintering at the campground. Most of the items I have already taken care of (heated and insulated water-line, skirting, etc), but one thing they highly suggested was leaving the tank valves OPEN during the winter months. This goes against all that I have come to understand about full-timing. I wait until I have a sufficient amount in the holding tanks (5 to 6 days), then flush all at so I get gravity assist along the way.
Is this normal winter procedure in very cold climates? Currently in Northern Illinois.

Thanks!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/moz-extension://bdd919f6-9920-4231-a8da-bc5aac8452ab/img/informenter-marker-1.png

flybouy
11-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Ice cycles form when water runs off a tree limb or other object and freezes before dropping off. Same thing will happen to the inside of your sewer hose if the valves are left open. You will also form a very ugly, stinky iceberg in your blank tank.

sourdough
11-09-2018, 02:59 PM
I don't know that whoever wrote that knows what they are talking about. The constant on/off draining will just freeze and continue to grow each time water runs through eventually resulting in a real mess. I can't imagine leaving my drain valves open in sub freezing temps - it doesn't even work well in the summer.

notanlines
11-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Uh, not only no, but hell no! I have never full-timed anywhere, and surely not northern Illinois. But most RV'ers who full-time in that kind of weather would start with tank heaters and go from there. Your Rhino hose would weigh about 75 pounds after 3 days. Where would you go thaw it out....I won't even go there. Chuckster warned about "inappropriate" on an earlier post.:D

Mandersoon
11-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Thanks, all! That's what I figured, and will stick with my procedure.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/moz-extension://22367d33-926e-4a4d-bd71-a6df2fd2ca9a/img/informenter-marker-1.png