PDA

View Full Version : RV Battery for storage

Jchism759
11-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Just wondering what you do with the RV battery during storage?

Does anyone use a solar charger to keep the battery charged and leave the battery in the RV?

KimNTerry
11-08-2018, 12:42 PM
since I store away from the house. I pulled them (6 volt GC batteries), brought them home and put them on a trickle charger in the garage.

Just what I did. During the season, I installed a full cutoff switch. the batteries last between trips that way. A solar trickle charger would do the job as well.

66joej
11-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Just wondering what you do with the RV battery during storage?

Does anyone use a solar charger to keep the battery charged and leave the battery in the RV?

Not sure of your location. I tried a solar panel to keep an RV battery charged. Trouble is we get snow here and the panel has to see the sun to produce power. So my plan didn't work. Cloudy weather is also a deterrent though some may say it only needs daylight. If you do use a solar charger be sure to have a voltage regulator in the system. YMMV

Jchism759
11-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply’s! I am in Louisville, KY so can get some snow but usually not a lot. I live in an apartment/Condo and do not have a personal garage to leave a battery plugged in to a trickle charger, that would be the ideal situation. I will probably get a full cutoff battery switch as suggested that can also somehow be used switched to solar charging during the off season.

Canonman
11-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Personally, I wouldn't charge a battery I couldn't keep an occasional eye on. I pull the batteries at the end of our season and store them in the garage on a battery tender. I check the water level a couple of times a month just for my peace of mind.
We do use a solar panel to charge the batteries when in the field during the season.

robertstaley28
11-08-2018, 02:55 PM
I removed the battery when the session ends and storage them into the holder.Then I check the water level and start to charge .

fourfourto
11-08-2018, 03:04 PM
You guys adding distilled water or tap.
I buy a gallon of distilled, it last a long time.
I use a dog syringe with a little hose ,also works good if you overfill past the line.:facepalm:

KimNTerry
11-08-2018, 03:37 PM
always distilled in the batteries. and irons and steamers etc.

Canonman
11-08-2018, 08:38 PM
I think our water would be considered "Hard" if weren't for the arsenic:)
Distilled for sure!

travelin texans
11-08-2018, 08:45 PM
I disconnect the ground cable, leave them in the rv with a 2 amp solar charger connected. In Arizona so NO snow, thank goodness, & plenty of sun. So far they've went from 12.3 volts to 11.9 in 2-3 months & have ran the slides once in that time, so very pleased with the setup.

B-O-B'03
11-08-2018, 08:59 PM
You guys adding distilled water or tap.
I buy a gallon of distilled, it last a long time.
I use a dog syringe with a little hose ,also works good if you overfill past the line.:facepalm:

I have 2 X GC2 6 volt batteries and bought this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FCAXT0/) to hook the battery's cells together and this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FC79EW/) pump to fill them from a gallon bottle of distilled water.

It works great, the hose from the batteries is accessible from a hole in the battery box and I just connect it to the pump, drop the other end of the pump tube in a jug of water, squeeze the bulb until it will not squeeze any more and then they are full of water and never get over filled.

I have 30 amp service where I park the camper, so the batteries are connected all the time.

-Brian

TLB
11-09-2018, 06:01 AM
I remove and connect a battery tender to it.

JRTJH
11-09-2018, 06:08 AM
I'm just thinking out loud here, and I realize that many of us don't live anywhere even close to places where insulated boots, gloves and ski masks are necessary, so this certainly doesn't apply to all the membership.....

Wet cell batteries typically don't freeze when subjected to extremely cold weather. They do lose some of their capability to store and release energy, but the cold temperature won't damage them as long as they are fully charged. That's not the case with "add on water systems" that keep the battery electrolyte level full. Hanging a gallon of distilled water, tubing and a manifold system to keep the battery "topped off", isn't protected from the weather. That system, at least in "this neck of the woods" would be rendered frozen solid, unable to deliver water to the batteries and potentially damaged from the ice expansion within the tubing/manifold.

I guess what I'm saying is that this type of "automatic watering system" can work great for some of us, but not for those who live where it's colder than 32F for prolonged times.

Canonman
11-09-2018, 08:14 AM
I disconnect the ground cable, leave them in the rv with a 2 amp solar charger connected. In Arizona so NO snow, thank goodness, & plenty of sun. So far they've went from 12.3 volts to 11.9 in 2-3 months & have ran the slides once in that time, so very pleased with the setup.

Danny, I'm pretty sure 11.9 volts is a 60% discharged battery. You may want to beef up your charger.

B-O-B'03
11-09-2018, 08:20 AM
... Hanging a gallon of distilled water, tubing and a manifold system to keep the battery "topped off", isn't protected from the weather. That system, at least in "this neck of the woods" would be rendered frozen solid, unable to deliver water to the batteries and potentially damaged from the ice expansion within the tubing/manifold.

I guess what I'm saying is that this type of "automatic watering system" can work great for some of us, but not for those who live where it's colder than 32F for prolonged times.

Hi John,

Mine is not automatic, there is a quick disconnect, on the squeeze ball tubing, which connects to the manifold and associated tubing and that does remain connected to the batteries, I have had no issues with freeze damage (I presume any water left in the tubing will eventually drain into the batteries as required).

The system just makes it super easy to maintain battery water levels, filling all cells, in both batteries at once.

YMMV

-Brian

Carrottop
11-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Mine are removed and stored in my garage. I fill with distilled water when necessary and charged monthly or when needed. With temperatures reaching as low as -40 degrees Celsius in my neck of the woods there would not be much of a battery left if it sat in those conditions for 6 months.

AbHDToyHauler
11-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Hi John,

Mine is not automatic, there is a quick disconnect, on the squeeze ball tubing, which connects to the manifold and associated tubing and that does remain connected to the batteries, I have had no issues with freeze damage (I presume any water left in the tubing will eventually drain into the batteries as required).

The system just makes it super easy to maintain battery water levels, filling all cells, in both batteries at once.

YMMV

-Brian
I have the same topup system and it works great. I just remove it with the batteries for the winter (Canada) and keep in my heated shop with occasional trickle charging with trickle charger. Worked well so far.

travelin texans
11-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Danny, I'm pretty sure 11.9 volts is a 60% discharged battery. You may want to beef up your charger.

Thanks I'll check it out.

broadways
11-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Am I doing it wrong? I just leave the trailer plugged in over winter. Never had a problem.

KimNTerry
11-15-2018, 08:53 AM
If you can leave it plugged in great. Unfortunately this is not an option for me personally.

spade117
11-15-2018, 09:12 AM
Am I doing it wrong? I just leave the trailer plugged in over winter. Never had a problem.

I could do that, but I figure that would give the critters another option to get in.

JGriff
11-15-2018, 10:07 AM
1st season with an TT and I am wondering about battery storage.

I live on Vancouver Island, doesn't go below 32F very often. I live in a small townhouse with no garage, TT is stored off site. TT has battery cutoff and no power to it so I can't keep a charger on them.

Should I remove them ? Ok to leave them on my covered concrete porch on 2x4 blocks with a trickle charge on them ? I have a Genius 3500 charge that says will maintain the batteries.

Sorry, pretty dumb when it comes to electrical. :banghead:

TIA

JRTJH
11-15-2018, 10:17 AM
JGriff,

Let's compare "apples to apples":

If you leave the trailer outside (unheated) and plugged into shore power or with the battery cutoff switch "OFF" and a trickle charger connected, then from an "environmental perspective" you've got essentially the same environment, if you store your batteries on your covered porch with a trickle charger connected to them.

I don't see anything to preclude you from storing them on the porch, provided you can protect them from being covered with snow/ice. If it were me, I'd probably place them on a sheet of plywood (or 2x4's), connect the trickle charger and then put a sturdy box or a plastic storage bin over them, just to keep them from being exposed to the wetness from melting ice/snow through the winter.

JGriff
11-15-2018, 10:23 AM
JGriff,

Let's compare "apples to apples":

If you leave the trailer outside (unheated) and plugged into shore power or with the battery cutoff switch "OFF" and a trickle charger connected, then from an "environmental perspective" you've got essentially the same environment, if you store your batteries on your covered porch with a trickle charger connected to them.

I don't see anything to preclude you from storing them on the porch, provided you can protect them from being covered with snow/ice. If it were me, I'd probably place them on a sheet of plywood (or 2x4's), connect the trickle charger and then put a sturdy box or a plastic storage bin over them, just to keep them from being exposed to the wetness from melting ice/snow through the winter.

Thanks for replying so quickly John :)

I will put the batteries on 3/4" plywood and cover them.

John

larryflew
11-15-2018, 10:38 AM
I do store in large snow area so my solar charge panel is mounted on the side of the 5th wheel where snow would have to be 4 feet deep to affect the charging.

rinaldij
11-15-2018, 12:57 PM
I use a 100 watt amorphous solar panel array (4 panels) during the winter. First sun today in about a week and battery was at 11.8V this morning. I used to disconnect and check charge monthly. This is easier.

brodiegg
11-15-2018, 02:46 PM
I am in a cold climate and pull the battery and trickle charge it once a month in the garage

shermris
11-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Last year I just disconnected a fully charged battery and left it outside on the unit. The battery had about a 2/3 charge in the spring. This year I pulled the battery and put it in the garage on a 2x12 board. I plan to charge it or check it every couple of months. I have 3 or 4 trickle maintenance chargers I use for my boat and may go that route if I notice it losing it's charge. I use a solar panel if I'm boon docking and don't want to run the generator and also use the solar charger for my trolling motor in the summer since my motor doesn't charge the deep cycle batteries.

Cracker
11-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Same for me - and my 1931 Model A sits in storage all winter long without being re-charged. It then starts right up in the Spring without hesitation. The most important thing to survive sub-zero (F) weather is a fully charged battery. The Model A doesn’t have anything drawing from the battery, whereas the trailer has a lot of minor elements requiring power. That’s why I keep the trailer plugged in.

foldbak
11-16-2018, 07:20 AM
Guess I'm spoiled :ermm: RV is next to the house plugged in. Batteries charged by an Aims inverter charger. Always a 100%

I used to store my RV in covered storage. Remove the batteries and store them on a trickle charger at home. But only if I wasn't going to use it for extended periods of time. Otherwise leave them connected. Check the water level prior to use and plug it in for a couple days before we left. Worked great. They would last about 5 years.