PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in camp....and "um, what is that???"

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 08:16 PM
So my in laws and I went camping this past weekend...quick 2 dayer. The MLB playoffs were going on so we broke camping rules and set up the projector with big screen with wifi to watch it!

Then....I look down.... and say to my mother in law, "what the he** is that???" She gets up and darts to her trailer leaving me behind!

So i'm stuck there for 20+ minutes while the little guy eats all the Graham crackers dropped in camp by the kids earlier!!!!

BamaRam
11-04-2018, 09:37 PM
When we were in Colorado, one was under our trailer when I took the dog out. Fortunately it did not spray, even though the dog went after it. The leash saved th day.

Wing-in-it
11-04-2018, 11:30 PM
:popcorn: :whistling: :cool: :hide:

FlyingAroundRV
11-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Definitely "do not disturb"

spade117
11-05-2018, 05:40 AM
On our last trip, we had an albino skunk come traipsing through the site as I was getting ready to head in for the night. It just sniffed around the fire pit area which was used the previous night. I felt kinda trapped as I couldn't get to the camper door, but luckily I was able to slip in the 2nd door (bathroom) near the rear of the trailer.

flybouy
11-05-2018, 05:57 AM
So now you have the perfect excuse if your DW blames you for some noxious odors!

cookinwitdiesel
11-05-2018, 12:31 PM
It's not weed, it was that skunk 3 months ago....:whistling:

sourdough
11-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Your post made me laugh. It reminded me of a camping trip with the kids a long time ago. It was dark and we were just hanging out; kept hearing some rustling in the bushes at the end of the camp table so finally decided to see what it was. At the end of the table the kids had spilled (and thrown) a bunch of little cheese balls (the fried, airy kind from a bag). A little skunk was happily moving around, munching away on them. He didn't seem to give me a thought and just kept moving around, even into camp, as he grazed on the cheese balls and anything else they had dropped. We just moved away and watched and he never acted like he was upset. After 20 minutes or so he just waddled back into the bushes he came out of. The kids were all worked up thinking he was going to spray them.

TLB
11-12-2018, 09:24 AM
We had one of those little buddies at the campground this year too.
We were sitting there at the campfire when the people camping behind us said there was a skunk under their trailer.
Now after looking at the fire for so long you need time for your eyes to adjust so you can see where it went.
They also said that the campground had caught 2 the night before we got there.
Glad we put our husky inside because that is a lot of fur to wash if she would have got sprayed.

Old Mustanger
11-12-2018, 09:05 PM
We had one of those little buddies at the campground this year too.
Glad we put our husky inside because that is a lot of fur to wash if she would have got sprayed.

One of our Huskies slipped out the trailer door one time and ran like most Huskies will do. We looked all over for her until about 2AM and gave up until daylight. Well we didn't have to look as the park ranger was at the door about 6:30 "Is this your dog?" :hide: She had gotten skunked so she got to ride in the back of the truck going home. :( I think it took 4 1 qt.hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon of Dawn mixed baths to get her close to being clean. :banghead:

Jberndt10
11-18-2018, 10:42 AM
They are pretty used to people around here. Had a mom and babies traipse under the picnic table as we were eating dinner. I took pictures, DH freaked out:lol::lol::lol:

CT Wanderer
11-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Skunks around here could care less about people being nearby. A couple of years ago we were in a campground where people enjoyed hand feeding them at the campfire. When we found that out it explained why they were so bold. We had them walking under the table brushing against our legs while we were eating at the picnic table. We called it quits when they started to claw at the table cloth to pull it down to get at what we had on the table.

tlist809
11-18-2018, 11:40 AM
years ago when our kids were still youngsters we went to cedar point in Ohio and camped at East Harbor State Park with our popup. Got back from the CP Park and were sitting down for dinner at dusk, Nice BBQ Chicken dinner and the sides. we were enjoying the dinner and here comes a Mommy and her 3 kids (just like yours) looking for handouts. mommy put her paws on my DW's leg just begging and all I did was ask the boys if they liked their dinner. they said yes and I told them to stop swinging their legs and enjoy the dinner. they asked why and I said because I said so (surprisingly they complied). when the mommy skunk and her pups went over to the fire pit where the grill was to "clean" it off, we quickly got up and went inside to eat. then and only then we told the kids about the skunks. A couple of older fishermen were laughing from about 5 sites away. It was a nice site bordering the harbor with cattails and all. The all was the skunks. This was back in 1991. Potty trips that night were an adventure. They were everywhere that night, we left the next day (if memory serves me). Gotta love camping.

TLB
11-18-2018, 01:00 PM
One of our Huskies slipped out the trailer door one time and ran like most Huskies will do.

Oh how true. Meeka got loose at the same campground 2 years in a row. Chased her form one end of the campground to the other.
Doesn't help with the smell of bacon in the air in the morning.

German Shepherd Guy
11-28-2018, 06:30 PM
What a great picture! The playoffs are obviously what is important. Me too. Love that you left the skunk to just clean up.

LOL
Oak

Logan X
11-29-2018, 12:08 PM
What a great picture! The playoffs are obviously what is important. Me too. Love that you left the skunk to just clean up.

LOL
Oak
It’s good to see you have your priorities straight.

notanlines
11-29-2018, 02:56 PM
Cute stories, all! But let's also bear in mind that skunks are a serious carrier of rabies. Let's insure that our young ones are giving the critters wide berth.