PDA

View Full Version : I tried to prevent this....but I'm an idiot...hit a wire in a wall

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 05:31 PM
So I tried to prevent this by using an electrical wire finder. It showed a wire in the bathroom so I moved the towel holder over a couple inches. But when I screwed the left screw in the air conditioner turned off and it tripped the GFI in the our shop where the trailer was plugged in.

So...I took the screw out and reset the GFI and everything works again. But it's the a chance the wire is severed or damaged which might cause a fire hazard??? All electrical is working fine now.

Should I open up the wall to be sure? In which case i'll have to another forum to learn how to do that!

Any advice is welcome....I appreciate any input!

Thanks everyone!

chuckster57
11-04-2018, 05:40 PM
It’s probably ok. We find stuff shorted out all the time, tank the wires and all is good. If you really feel the need to open up the wall just PM me and I’ll walk you through it. We open walls all the time to run satellite and solar from the roof.

xrated
11-04-2018, 05:41 PM
I don't think it is coincidence that the A/C went off and tripped the GFCI at just the same time that you were installing the towel holder. You are going to have to gain access to that wire and either make repairs or replace at least part of it. Hopefully, someone will come along and offer up some advice about how to do this without ruining the wall at that location.

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 06:15 PM
It’s probably ok. We find stuff shorted out all the time, tank the wires and all is good. If you really feel the need to open up the wall just PM me and I’ll walk you through it. We open walls all the time to run satellite and solar from the roof.

I was thinking of cutting into the wall then covering up the hole by re-doing the wall in this vinyl pen and stick flooring! Is that ghetto?

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Thank you! I don't think I could sleep with my little one in there until I open it up to be sure it's ok or repair it if needed.

chuckster57
11-04-2018, 06:32 PM
If you were in danger of a fire, it would have happened already.

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 06:33 PM
If you were in danger of a fire, it would have happened already.

I thought that too! Haha

chuckster57
11-04-2018, 06:38 PM
When your ready to open up that wall, let me know. No one will be the wiser when your done. Our saying in the shop- “ better than factory”!

dhn
11-04-2018, 06:52 PM
You could also add blocking in the wall to attach the towel bar. It would hold a lot better than the luan wall board.

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 07:45 PM
You could also add blocking in the wall to attach the towel bar. It would hold a lot better than the luan wall board.

That's a good idea! This towel bar has been stuck to the wall for a year but decided to fall down this last trip.... I've never screwed anything to the walls and my first time and I ruin everything!

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 07:46 PM
When your ready to open up that wall, let me know. No one will be the wiser when your done. Our saying in the shop- “ better than factory”!

I appreciate that so much! Maybe i'll try and take the wall down first.... if I screw that up too i'll try and doctor it! I'll let you know... thanks again!

BuxCamper
11-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Flexible endoscope cameras for your phone are pretty cheap now. You could get one and either through the screw or slightly enlarged hole take a look see and then decide your next step.

Missslucrew
11-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Flexible endoscope cameras for your phone are pretty cheap now. You could get one and either through the screw or slightly enlarged hole take a look see and then decide your next step.

That's an ingenious idea! Looking on Amazon now!!!!

BuxCamper
11-04-2018, 09:19 PM
That's an ingenious idea! Looking on Amazon now!!!!I've been known to have a few [emoji41]

jsmith948
11-05-2018, 06:05 AM
I did some minor mods to our previous trailer. The Luan wall panels are only 1/8" and are very easily split. If the corner trim/molding is attached with brads, they will usually pull through the panel without too much damage. If the factory used staples, you will not want to have them pull through the panel - they will leave large irregular holes that will be hard to conceal.
IMHO, take Chuckster up on his offer and send him a PM. He's a certified RV Tech and will know all of the "tricks of the trade". Good luck:)

Local150
11-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Good place to hang a picture,,, seriously though feel bad for you,, I thought I was the only one that this happened to