PDA

View Full Version : Another winterizing questions

jdixon980
11-04-2018, 09:20 AM
I am sure everyone is tired of winterizing questions but I have a couple. Camping next weekend for the last time this year. Going to winterize before I leave for home. First fifth wheel and first with convenience center. In picture, I assume connect hose with antifreeze to top inlet, middle inlet is city water and bottom inlet is black tank flush. Turn water heat bypass to on and winterize on. I assume when I cut water pump on, antifreeze will start to fill line? Am I missing anything? My previous tt, I had to take panel off to get to water heater for bypass and to get to water pump to get to hose to fill with antifreeze. This fifth wheel seems a lot more simple. Just making sure I am covering everything, I know I have to drain everything before I get to antifreeze.

JRTJH
11-04-2018, 11:49 AM
You left out a few steps, not sure if you know or not....

Disconnect your city water connection BEFORE you start introducing antifreeze. If not, any pressure buildup in the water hose will push water into the port and dilute your antifreeze.

After you disconnect the city water, bypass the water heater and then open the low point drains, go inside and open all the faucets (don't forget the outside shower) and allow as much water as possible to drain before starting to introduce antifreeze. This is also the time to "blow the air lines" if you're going to use a compressor to push water out of the lines. Remember to flush the toilet until the water turns red, then leave about an inch or two above the valve.

Don't forget to blow out and/or inject antifreeze into the black tank flush.

Once you're done, a cup of antifreeze down each drain to protect the traps.

I'm not familiar with your model, so there may be other things that you'd need to do, so look around and be sure everything is either drained, filled with antifreeze or heated for the winter.

Cmccul
11-04-2018, 05:45 PM
I have the same panel. I could not get it to pump antifreeze out of the jug.
I agree that’s the way it should work. But it would not work for me. 19174

jdixon980
11-05-2018, 02:18 AM

What did you do to get antifreeze through lines?

ctbruce
11-05-2018, 03:09 AM
What did you do to get antifreeze through lines?Check your other post.

radar46
11-18-2018, 08:11 PM
I winterized everything with rv plumbing antifreeze using both gallons I had on hand. Just was wondering if it would be safe to dump some windshield washer antifreeze that I have on hand into the holding tanks--NOT pump them in, just pour it through the drains? Not sure if would mix safely with the pink stuff I pumped in.
Thanks and a wonderful American Thanksgiving to all,
Warren.

Kevin H
11-19-2018, 04:29 AM
I don't believe I would. RV antifreeze is glycol based where windshield deicer is alcohol based. I would hate to have that laying in there. May be fine just my opinion. Compared to what these toys cost I have no problem using 6-8 gallons to winterize everything. I even pump and flush water heater. $20 is still less than hauling this beast 100 miles down the road.

radar46
11-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Thanks Kevin. Think I'll just pick up an extra couple of gallons of the RV anti-freeze.
Warren.

66joej
11-19-2018, 09:40 AM
No on the windshield washer fluid. Do you live in Langley BC? If yes I lived in Surrey and just blew out the lines and drained the tanks HWT included. Can't remember getting a hard freeze in the 7 years I was there. YMMV

PARAPTOR
11-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Based on that picture looks like your winterize switch is in the OFF position ?? In order to have your on board pump to pull antifreeze out of the bottle, that switch has to be in the ON position (horizontal)