PDA

View Full Version : Hairline stress cracks in kitchen sink

Nomadicchefs
10-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Hi all! I have noticed recently (only because I can slightly feel them) there are a few hairline cracks/fractures in my plastic kitchen sink. It's not leaking but I would like to remedy this without having to replace the sink. It seems there only around the center, very small less than 2 inches. I don't fill the sink with water to do my dishes, nor are my utensils, etc heavy. We use plastic everything. When washing my pots or pans, I don't slam them down, nor do I leave them in the sink. I haven't dropped anything in it and the other side is perfectly fine. Could it be from hot water? Or possibly fluctuating temperatures? Any ideas what I can use to fix this before it becomes a major problem?

ctbruce
10-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Hmmmmm.....what kind of unit your model number and what year is it?

Nomadicchefs
10-27-2018, 03:09 PM
Hmmmmm.....what kind of unit your model number and what year is it?

Keystone hideout 28RKS 2018

ctbruce
10-27-2018, 03:58 PM
That would be a warranty issue. I'd take it to the dealer to make a claim.

Nomadicchefs
10-27-2018, 04:01 PM
That would be a warranty issue. I'd take it to the dealer to make a claim.

It only had a 1 year from date of purchase and that was July.

Eastham
10-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Worth a try.they might make an exception being so close to the Warrentee period you won't know if you don't try.

Nomadicchefs
10-27-2018, 05:20 PM
True. I just am curious for a diy fix in case they don't cover it.

flybouy
10-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Are you sure it's a crack and not a scratch? Have you looked under it, is the defect under the sink as well?

Nomadicchefs
10-27-2018, 05:51 PM
Are you sure it's a crack and not a scratch? Have you looked under it, is the defect under the sink as well?

Not on the underside yet, but when I touch them I can feel them. If I would push on it, it gives a bit.

wiredgeorge
10-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Out of curiosity, are the sinks plastic or fiberglass?

rhagfo
10-27-2018, 07:02 PM

They are plastic. That said I replaced
Ours with a Stainless steel unit almost the same size.
I also prefer to use reusable utensils and plates, so our sink gets plenty of use.

Nomadicchefs
10-27-2018, 07:30 PM

I believe it's plastic. Is there nothing I can you to seam these tiny cracks before they become full blown completely through the underside?

Miles65
11-02-2018, 03:51 PM
I have the same sink. It's garbage, just like the faucet that is attached to it. Try to get it covered, even though you're a few months out of the front to back warranty. A good dealer will be your advocate. If that fails, pop the sink out, and get a good one, along with a quality kitchen faucet with integral, extendable spray head. Good luck.

Nomadicchefs
11-02-2018, 04:01 PM
I have the same sink. It's garbage, just like the faucet that is attached to it. Try to get it covered, even though you're a few months out of the front to back warranty. A good dealer will be your advocate. If that fails, pop the sink out, and get a good one, along with a quality kitchen faucet with integral, extendable spray head. Good luck.
Thanks, I did try and they told me the only way any warranty worm would be covered was to take it to the dealer I bought it from. *eye roll* and I agree, the sink and faucet are complete garbage!

chuckster57
11-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Getting warranty work done at “the dealer of your choice” isn’t an option in the RV industry. Auto dealers are “franchises” and the manufacturer can dictate that “any” dealer work on their product. RV dealers can pick and choose who’s product they want to sell, and who’s units they will work on.

No money to be made in warranty work so some dealerships ( one of my previous employers) doesn’t do any. My current employer does warranty work on customers units that bought from us. We have done work on units for “non customers” but limited the list to 5 items.

I would press the issue because we have seen lots of “good will” repairs when close to the warranty period.

ctbruce
11-03-2018, 05:19 AM
If you don't ask, you won't know. It's always worth a try.

cliff
11-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Drop some super glue into each crack. We had a 2008 Montana 3485 with cracks coming from the drain in many directions. They leaked into the trash can we had below the sink most of the times. We used Locktite on all of the cracks when the sink had been dry for a few days. Afterwards no leaks. Just drop a generous bead on all of thecracks.

fourfourto
11-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Drop some super glue into each crack. We had a 2008 Montana 3485 with cracks coming from the drain in many directions. They leaked into the trash can we had below the sink most of the times. We used Loctite on all of the cracks when the sink had been dry for a few days. Afterwards no leaks. Just drop a generous bead on all of the cracks.

That probably looks marvelous,:facepalm: as good as your spelling:angel:

Beemer Phil
11-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Typically hairline cracks in any plastic or composite sink are due to overtightening the drain/strainer. One may have been overtightened when installed. See that a lot in household installations.

JRTJH
11-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Going back to the OP's question of how to deal with the hairline cracks in his plastic/PVC sink: Those cracks ain't going to fix themselves and they ain't going to disappear. They'll only get worse through the years. If there's any chance of getting the sink replaced on Keystone's dime, I'd urge you to at least try. Otherwise, any locktite, super glue, special wax might work for a while, but a crack is a crack and it's eventually going to need replacement. Might as well try to get someone else to pay for it, if possible..... YMMV.

C.LeeNick
11-04-2018, 02:57 PM
If you do end up replacing the sink, go stainless. The one in our old RV is 40 years old, and it outlived the countertop. I recently replaced the countertop, and reused the old sink that's still in great condition.

The one benefit to the plastic sink in our new Passport is that the LED light above the sink is so bright, plenty of light goes right through the sink and we can easily see what's in the cabinet underneath. :lol: